Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Yes, it can be a problem urban and suburban [[rider that is). Though with me I DEMAND that the meter go 'on' first; that the photo of the driver match who's behind the wheel, then I map out specifically how and what route I want driven to my destination and as a life-time Detroiter I KNOW the fastest routes and THEY KNOW THAT! So the flim-flam level is down appreciably on my few cab trips. Plus, I have a couple of regular drivers I call when needed who would never dare it and they know I tip well...

I did have one who ripped me off coming from downtown to midtown [[tried to make it over $15). I told him to 'stop' the cab -- that I'd get out if he did not stop the meter and making stupid turns to make the trip longer and longer. He shut it off and took me the rest of the way for free. Perhaps it being dark and me being a woman motivated his chivalrous side. I was willing to walk the remaining two blocks home than be ripped off!

This is not a phenomena unique to Detroit.

My friend who lived in Chicago for some time developed a form of Tourettes every time he got into a cab there [[and later in any city, even London and Amsterdam!).

He would immediately, but calmly and clearly, threaten the cab driver with death if he thought in any way he was getting screwed.

It worked famously, although tensions were always a bit high. He would curse up a storm if he sensed any deviation from the most direct path to our destination.

Caveat Emptor. Cabbies are an unusual bunch.

One of my friends drove here in the city for a while. After one too many false runs to some far-away call [[usually an abandoned house or fake address), he realized the veterans were moving him out of the way so they could cream the better early fares to the airport as well as the more lucrative illegal short runs around town.