Republicans have swept control of all branches of Michigan government, Governor, House, Senate and Supreme Court. I am curious to the opinion of the forum as to how this will affect Detroit and its family of communities.

Here are some I foresee:

1-The new governor should have a great opportunity to enact his vision in view of his party controlling all reigns of government and by eschewing radical [Tea Party] support he enters as a non-polarizing figure. To his credit he has shown awareness of the crisis of Detroit. But what can he really do?

2-With the incoming party promising billion dollar plus tax cuts and facing yet another billion and half dollar gap there will be absolutely no room to maneuver. Detroit and suburbs alike will be on their own and find no help or sympathy from Lansing. I expect municipal bankruptcies and consolidation of services to be an outcome.

3-The controversial film credit will come under heavy attack. It may be difficult to be rid completely but it will not remain the generous handout it has become. Since the benefits largely accrue to metro Detroit, that will be a minus for the region.

4-The DRIC will be under attack and the hand of Manny Moroun will be improved. Even with the Canadian offers to cover the costs, the politics surrounding this will stall any action and nothing will happen.

Good, bad or the same? The same.

Okay your turn...