Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    BTW, Why does the left give a pass to the obscene and vulgar Barbara Boxer and even Granholm is given the kid glove treatment.
    Granholm was on The Closing Bell giving yet another lecture on how good she is at using government to create jobs and while they never beat up their guests on that show, you can tell when Bartiromo has no respect for a guest's opinion. Bartiromo couldn't blow her off fast enough or get to the next story fast enough.

Um, er she could not even finish our her time as governor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the news said that 35 of the 51 candidates Palin supported won so the candidates Palin publicly supported performed better in this election than the candidates Obama publicly supported. Some Democrats even had to run on opposing Obama and Pelosi policies so if the election was this week, I think she could have beat him. However, the election was not this week and two years is a very long time in politics.

For better or worse, she may be the only chance the Republicans have. Despite their recent victories, they really are not very well liked so if they do run another candidate and she runs seperately as an independant or tea party candidate, their vote will be split just like it was for the Taft/Wilson/Roosevelt election of 1912.
    Last edited by mjs; November-05-10 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the news said that 35 of the 51 candidates Palin supported won so the candidates Palin publicly supported performed better in this election than the candidates Obama publicly supported. Some Democrats even had to run on opposing Obama and Pelosi policies so if the election was this week, I think she could have beat him. However, the election was not this week and two years is a very long time in politics.
    If you look at the exit polls, a lot of the result on Tuesday can be explained by the mobilization of self-described "conservative" voters and older voters [[who tend to vote conservative). Voters 18-30 only turned out in half the numbers they did two years ago.

What I'm saying is, Tuesday was not so much a shift in the way of thinking among the electorate, as it was a change in WHO actually showed up to vote. If Palin were on the ticket, you bet your ass a lot more liberals, progressives, moderates, and centrists would turn out to vote.

You're exactly write on the numbers and turn out trends, but we differ on what it means. Clinton and Obama both proved who shows up is a very key part of the battle plan. The 18 to 30 year olds not showing up and not being energized shows how disillusioned Obama's base is feeling by him. Mobilization of conservative voters and both parties mixture of fear, underestimation, and downplaying of the tea party is what swung this election. These voters have gotten a taste of affecting change and I have a feeling they'll remain heavily mobilized in 2012. Who knows what the 18 to 30 year olds will do in 2012. Another key factor will be the minority turnout which is generally very low.
    Last edited by mjs; November-05-10 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Just think about the blinded racist approval ratings by blacks of obama--Imagine if you had the same approval rating by Latinos of a Republican President?
    Based on your logic... that would make it the blinded racist approval ratings by Latinos of Rubio...

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Based on your logic... that would make it the blinded racist approval ratings by Latinos of Rubio...
    Sort of like the blinded racist approval ratings by white people of Bush, Clinton, Reagan, etc.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Sort of like the blinded racist approval ratings by white people of Bush, Clinton, Reagan, etc.
    94% approval rating among black people?????

Let me know when and where the approval rating was at 94% amongst White people for any President

It makes it even worse when his approval rating is at or around 45% and dropping among everyone else.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    If Rubio was President I highly doubt he would have a 94% approval rating among Hispanics.

80%--Sure

Bearinabox Guest

94% approval rating among black people?????

Let me know when and where the approval rating was at 94% amongst White people for any President

It makes it even worse when his approval rating is at or around 45% and dropping among everyone else.
    I don't think "racist" means what you think it means.

I can't find a racial breakdown for Bush's approval ratings, but he hit 90% overall and 99% among Republicans after 9/11. We all know how that turned out.

lincoln8740 Guest

I don't think "racist" means what you think it means.

I can't find a racial breakdown for Bush's approval ratings, but he hit 90% overall and 99% among Republicans after 9/11. We all know how that turned out.
    That was among EVERYONE and for what three weeks?

He has been at 90 or above percent among blacks for almost TWO YEARS

In my mind it is equally racist to say--"I am voting for someone because they are black" and "I am not voting for someone because they are black"

Edit to Add:
    Although in your mind blacks can't be racists so I guess I am wrong
    Last edited by lincoln8740; November-05-10 at 03:39 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

That was among EVERYONE and for what three weeks?

He has been at 90 or above percent among blacks for almost TWO YEARS
    I have better things to do than look up presidential approval ratings for you. You requested an example of a president with more than 94% approval among white people, and I provided one. If you want an exhaustive list, do your own damn research.
    In my mind it is equally racist to say
    "I am voting for someone because they are black" and "I am not voting for someone because they are black"
    Well, first off, you're wrong about that, because Being Black and Not Being Black are not equivalent in our society. One of those actions has institutional weight behind it, and the other one doesn't.

Second off, where is your evidence that black people who like Obama only like him because he's black? There could be any number of factors at work here. It's a pretty big leap from "black people like him more than the population as a whole" to "zomgz racism," and the fact that you jumped straight to that particular explanation of the statistics says more about you than anything else.

lincoln8740 Guest

Second off, where is your evidence that black people who like Obama only like him because he's black? There could be any number of factors at work here. .
    That is possibly the funniest thing I have read in a long time

If you honestly believe that Obama's 94% approval rating among blacks has nothing to do with race then your liberal world must be a fascinating place to live. Even the most ardent leftists on this board would agree that his 94% approval rating among blacks is mainly because of the color of his skin.

If you can't see that then I don't know what to say except--LALA Land must be a nice place to live

Bearinabox Guest

That is possibly the funniest thing I have read in a long time

If you honestly believe that Obama's 94% approval rating among blacks has nothing to do with race then your liberal world must be a fascinating place to live. Even the most ardent leftists on this board would agree that his 94% approval rating among blacks is mainly because of the color of his skin.

If you can't see that then I don't know what to say except--LALA Land must be a nice place to live
    Are you genetically incapable of comprehending any argument containing even the slightest shred of nuance, or is that a learned skill?

I didn't say it had "nothing to do with race." I said that you have no evidence that the disparity in Obama's approval ratings between whites and blacks is entirely due to black people approving of him solely because of his race. Some of it is probably because his policies addressed one issue or another that disproportionately affected black people, such as health care. Some of it is probably because his approval rating is artificially low among whites, which is to say that a white president pursuing exactly the same policies would likely have a higher rating among whites. Some of it is probably because much of the anti-Obama movement relies heavily on racialized rhetoric that is unlikely to appeal to many minorities.

Some of it, I'm sure, is because he's black. But that's a misleading way to put it, in that the salient point here is that he's the first ever black president of a country where blacks have always been marginalized. Catholics in the 1960s supported President Kennedy for exactly the same reason. Just ask John Boehner.

lincoln8740 Guest

Catholics in the 1960s supported President Kennedy for exactly the same reason. .
    I think we just made some progress

So Catholics did support a Catholic President mainly because he was Catholic?

hand clap everybody

Bearinabox Guest

I think we just made some progress

So Catholics did support a Catholic President mainly because he was Catholic?

hand clap everybody
    Again, nuance. "Mainly" is your word, not mine. "Because he was Catholic" is misleading and I already explained why.

Here's a news flash ... Hispanics are as varied as Europeans... there is a big difference between cultural conservative Cubans and social conscious Mexicans... The Hispanics from the varied south American countries can have native roots as well as European or in most cases both... This is something the politicians don't get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2