Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I am talking about density around 20,000+ per sq mile and lots of ammenities within walking distance and access to quality transit. This exists nowhere in Michigan, sorry to say. But it is very possible for Midtown to develop into such a neighborhood, as once upon a time it was such a place. The only area of the city that ever compared to the density of Brooklyn or similar cities. New Center, Downtown, Corktown, Rivertown and Eastern Market also all hold this sort of potential but that is the extent. Unfortunatly, Detroit and Metro Detroit are dominated by single-family houses and a suburban layout and low density.
    What's ironic is that the majority of Detroit residents lived in neighborhoods with 15,000-20,000+ ppsqmi density until the 1960s and 1970s.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    If Detroit had rail transit and a few decent *urban* neighborhoods to connect, I think it could be a toursit destination. Lot's of history and a suprising number of world class attractions. By urban neighborhoods I do not mean Ferndale, in case you were wondering. LOL. I mean something metro Detroit doesn't even have... I am talking about density around 20,000+ per sq mile and lots of ammenities within walking distance and access to quality transit. This exists nowhere in Michigan, sorry to say. But it is very possible for Midtown to develop into such a neighborhood, as once upon a time it was such a place. The only area of the city that ever compared to the density of Brooklyn or similar cities. New Center, Downtown, Corktown, Rivertown and Eastern Market also all hold this sort of potential but that is the extent. Unfortunatly, Detroit and Metro Detroit are dominated by single-family houses and a suburban layout and low density.

As for Troy... what is there unique about it? No history, no unique or vibrant neighborhoods, nothing differentiating it from the hundreds of similar communities around the country. What, are people going to visit the panera bread? Or maybe the Applebees. What about Bed Bath & Beyond, now that is a world class attraction... While you are at it, make a stop at the library... Oh wait... shit. Nvm.

Somerset is actually pretty cool.

I realize that may not be a popular thing to say on this board since it is a mall and it is located in a suburb.

It's not as sexy as having a nice library, but Troy's schools are pretty good too. $5-10 million dollar deficit in a crummy economy in a city of 80,000 where most adults pay taxes is not the "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah" crisis some have made it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

In Kent county the turnout was 48% in Ottawa county was 50%. Both figures down from 2006 and 2008 numbers, but still far ahead of Detroit's 15%.
    http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...igan_lowe.html

There is not a pretty face that can be placed on Detroit's poor turnout. You can ascribe reasons, but the bottom line is that Detroit will be looked on as a toothless lion until such time it starts to show up.
    As a Detroiter who did vote I have to say the following: what do anyone expect. This idea that Detroiters is going to go in droves to the polls on election day is silly? First off, you have some of the population like myself who votes because we have a right to do so. You have a group of the population who have voted in the past but have stopped believing in the system. When you see crooked politicians come in and jobs and revenue leaving out, it makes you wonder why bother and then you have the rest who just don't give a fuck. These are the majority in Detroit. The uneducated, the unemployed, the felons, the single mothers, the abused, the ones who feel it would a waste of their time to spend 15 minutes in a voting hall.

Going back to your quote
    but the bottom line is that Detroit will be looked on as a toothless lion until such time it starts to show up
    Isn't it oblivious that Detroit has been looked on as a toothless lion for decades now? The only way that ends is that Detroit gets a population shift.

Detroit isn't the only place that has experienced this but somehow we act in shock that a large percentage of the population didn't vote. I won't make excuses for those who will not exercise their right to vote but it is their choice. In closing, I work with a lady that lives in Troy and guess what, she didn't vote either.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF TROY

For thousands of years, Troy's virgin lands were untouched by human habitation, essentially empty. It would bring a tear to the eye of any ambitious county executive today to see -- instead of glorious strip malls, sleek freeway interchanges and shimmering oceans of parking lots -- a drab, empty area that has cried out for development since the dawn of time.

Even as recently as a century ago, this township was a sleepy land of illiterate beet farmers, with nary a railroad connection and no density worth speaking of. Things started happening, though, in 1955, when the leading lights of the township decided to incorporate a city: The City of Tomorrow! In the 1960s, development took off in earnest, with a freeway corkscrewing through, and residential subdivisions going straight from the design board to reality. Truly, big things were happening, big enough to warm the heart of any mouthy, white, right-wing politician.

In 1967, after the bad, bad riots destroyed Detroit and all them bad, bad blacks took over the city government, white people suddenly started to leave the city and move up to Troy. In 1975, the city fathers put up a statue at 14 Mile Road to welcome Detroit's white residents, holding a sign with a poem of breathtaking beauty:

"Give me your white, your rich,
    Your income-earners yearning to be tax-free,
    The gleaming cream of your crop.
    Send these, the white-collars, managers to me,
    I honk my horn beside Exit 69!"

Since then, Troy has been one continuous success story. Everybody loves Troy. It represents the greatest achievement of humankind on earth, and always will be. If you don't think so, it's only because you're probably too black or too poor to live here, and therefore you're jealous of us. Jealous I say. And everything's going to be fine forever and ever, because nothing is ever going to change. Gas will remain cheap, people love their cars, and nobody wants to live near poor people. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In 1975, the city fathers put up a statue at 14 Mile Road to welcome Detroit's white residents, holding a sign with a poem of breathtaking beauty:

14 Mile and ??? LOL

bartock Guest

[quote=Detroitnerd;195979]Detroit's white residents, holding a sign with a poem of breathtaking beauty:

OK I may not agree with you, but can appreciate this. "Give me your white, your rich." Good stuff.

Since then, Troy has been one continuous success story. Everybody loves Troy. It represents the greatest achievement of humankind on earth, and always will be. If you don't think so, it's only because you're probably too black or too poor to live here, and therefore you're jealous of us. Jealous I say. And everything's going to be fine forever and ever, because nothing is ever going to change*. Gas will remain cheap, people love their cars, and nobody wants to live near poor people. Amen.
    *That is until 14 Mile becomes the new 12 Mile, which itself was the new 8 Mile just 10 years ago. When that happens Auburn Hills is the new Troy, which itself will become the new Southfield, and Southfield will by then have solidified its standing as West Detroit [[to be renamed in 20 years to Westpointe by initiative of some conservative retired public servant).

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    *That is until 14 Mile becomes the new 12 Mile, which itself was the new 8 Mile just 10 years ago. When that happens Auburn Hills is the new Troy, which itself will become the new Southfield, and Southfield will by then have solidified its standing as West Detroit [[to be renamed in 20 years to Westpointe by initiative of some conservative retired public servant).
    You've been away too long. I've recently heard from people [[and they were being serious) that you can't safely live anywhere south of M-59.

15% is dismal. There is no way to sugar coat it. I think it is a huge reason why Detroit still suffers. Why change when no one votes? How does one make changes when the electorate could give two shits?

As for Detroit always votes democrat so why bother is ridiculous. We had a low voter turnout where I live and this year it was over 46% [[great by municipal standards).

Perhaps the main reason as to why Detroit only got 15% of voters is because it only graduates 25% of their classes! Maybe the vast majority can't read?

Quote Originally Posted by Left_For_Texas View Post
    Neither one of those weekend getaways sound very appealing.
    One does for me. When still in the area I spent a ton of weekends at the Atheneum during hockey season, always catching a Wings game and chowing down Voodoo at Fishbones.

Matter of fact, I spent a weekend there at the end of September while back home for a couple of days.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF TROY
    Gas will remain cheap, people love their cars, and nobody wants to live near poor people. Amen.
    If this is thy prayer, then I shall be thy Antichrist.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    OK.

I usually try not to be one of the folks in here pouring gasoline on fires, but in this case I can't help myself. I'm uniquely qualified to chime in here; I have lived in both Detroit and Troy.

Without going into all of the details, since others have done an admirable job of it, let me just say this: I like Detroit a whole lot more than I like Troy.

Now, I'm not picking on Troy, per se, at all. What I mean is this: name a suburb, and it's very likely that I like Detroit a whole lot more than I like that suburb. There are a couple of suburbs that are a bit harder for me to say that about, because we do have some really cool suburbs: Ferndale, Mount Clemens, Hamtramck [[but is that really technically a suburb?), Canada.

But here, in case you doubt my sincerity, try this. Say both of the following sentences with a straight face. Go ahead, try it.

Sentence 1: Hey, honey, let's get a hotel room and spend a weekend in Detroit!

Sentence 2: Hey, honey, let's get a hotel room and spend a weekend in Troy!

See what I mean?
    Not really, Hotel business is terrible all over the area. That being said, I sure haven't seen any abandoned hotels in Troy lately.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That being said, I sure haven't seen any abandoned hotels in Troy lately.
    Give it time. Ten years ago you could have said the same thing about Southfield...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2