Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    Who owns the Metropolitan?
    If I am not mistaken, the Metropolitan Building is owned by the City of Detroit. It went to the city many years ago due to unpaid taxes.

Also, back in the early 2000s, i believe the Farbman Group had plans to turn the building into lofts.

The black mesh is up, there was also the hose in the street which I didn't get a shot of. Definitely draining the basement before the winter freeze
    Attachment 7703
    Attachment 7704

They need to install a continuously working sump pump in the sub-basement. All downtown tall office buildings have one.

The sub-basements of all downtown highrises where the electricity is shut off will flood without a working one. Even the former Michigan Theatre [[whose basements are separate from those in the office block portion of the building)... has a continuously running sump pump.

The Metropolitan is more architecturally significant than the Wurlitzer, though I'd argue given this history of the Wurlitzer name and the fact that the logo is emblazoned in the terra cotta on the side that it's just as significant as well. Both are worthy of preservation and adaptive re-use. The Wurlitzer's location is better than the Metropolitan's, but the Metropolitan may represent a better/more stable building to work with. Either way, I'm glad to see some work is being done here to prevent the basement from freezing right up over the winter and seriously compromising the foundation.

Drove by this afternoon and all seemed quiet, but saw the mesh over the upper floors and the debris roof over the sidewalk. Also drove by the Wurlitzer....I know it's cold now, but I'd hate to be walking on the sidewalk or sitting on the sidewalk seating at that restaurant next door when all the facade brick comes falling off. Those barricades are ridiculous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2