Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Sumas, not very original, but I started making Bratwurst and German potato salad for Easter. I sure miss my grandmother's German food. I did find a fantastic smoked bratwurst made be Deutsche Kuche that's sold at Aldi's. I can only find it at Aldi's around Easter and Christmas, but it's very good, and reminds of the bratwurst my grandmother would buy at the butcher shop.

This is a variation on Alice's Sauerkraut [[from Alice's Restaurant). It isn't too sour and most people yum it right up.

1# bag of kraut
    1 chopped onion
    1 c sour cream
    1/2 c white wine
    ! tsp caraway seeds [[optional, I don't like these)

Rinse and drain the kraut, and turn it into a bowl. Mix in the onions, sour cream, wine and caraway seeds if you like these. Put into greased casserole dish and bake for 25 minutes at 325 degrees.

Options:
    Add some chopped cooked pork to the mix
    Top with parboiled kielbasa
    Add some boiled potato slices to the mix

Sumas, buy your sauerkraut bulk, not in a can or jar. Most of the Polish markets around have it. It's much less sour tasting. Then what I do is just add a little garlic powder, a handful of brown sugar, some celery seed [[you can use caraway, but we don't like it) some chopped onion and a little water. Mix it up in a roaster, add your kielbasa and roast on 325 for a couple hours. I normally simmer my kielbasa for about 20 minutes or so to get some of the grease out before I add it to the sauerkraut.
    If I'm not making sauerkraut, after I simmer the kielbasa, I roast it in the oven with a little of the simmering liquid for about 1/2 hour to 40 minutes until the liquid is gone and the kielbasa is somewhat crispy on the outside.

I've never heard of adding brown sugar to saurkraut, but my mom used to put chopped apples and some butter beans in hers.

I like my saurkraut really 'saur', so I never rinse it.

And I agree, get the bulk saurkraut from a Polish market. Better than any in a bag, jar or can.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    I've never heard of adding brown sugar to saurkraut, but my mom used to put chopped apples and some butter beans in hers.

I like my saurkraut really 'saur', so I never rinse it.

And I agree, get the bulk saurkraut from a Polish market. Better than any in a bag, jar or can.
    At work we "soften" our kraut with brown sugar and Guiness Stout.

Shhhhh, you didn't hear that from me.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    At work we "soften" our kraut with brown sugar and Guiness Stout.

Shhhhh, you didn't hear that from me.
    Oh yum! Guinness in Sauerkraut? I know what I'm adding to my next batch!

Cooking with beer is about as close as one can get to the gods.

One of he best things about the egg noodle, bread crumb, and cottage [[or Farmer's) cheese is its versatility as a base.

Add sugar alone, a good dessert. Add jam or preserves even better.

Or salt and pepper, a good main dish, but add cabbage or kraut or even walnuts and you have even more flavor.

Cooking is an experiment in flavor, take chances.

Oh, yes, I have made that noodle recipe with cabbage and cottage cheese, or apples and cottage cheese. One of those two variations is Schnitz und Knepp, but I forget which. I think with apples. I'm going to look it up.

OK, it's the apple one. Here's how I do it, I use fresh not dried apples, and bacon, not ham.

Schnitz und Knepp
    About 4 good size apples, sliced
    2-3 cups noodles, I love to use bow tie pasta for this.
    1 small chopped onion
    2-3 T brown sugar
    8 slices bacon
    16 oz cottage cheese

Fry the bacon and remove from pan to drain. Break it up in pieces
    Pour off all but a couple tablespoons of grease.
    Cook the noodles, drain and keep hot.
    Saute the onions and apples in the bacon fat until just soft, stir in the brown sugar and let it melt.
    Mix the cottage cheese, apples, onions and bacon into the noodles.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; April-07-09 at 08:57 PM.