Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Detroit slang?

juggaloes= fans of insane clown posse [[and affiliated artists)

whatup doe.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    whatup doe.....lol
    whatup doe... can I bum a "square" off you? Whatup with the "old bird?" Did you noticed those "scrubs" down the way? It was cool "kickin it" with you, I gotta go catch this "freight." By the way, "no dibs" on the Suzy-Q. LOL

Okay, someone tell me what a "fin" is. As in, "hey Ravine, can I bum a fin til' later? I'm running to the party store to get stuff. Thanks, right, yeah."

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Okay, someone tell me what a "fin" is. As in, "hey Ravine, can I bum a fin til' later? I'm running to the party store to get stuff. Thanks, right, yeah."
    Traditionally, a five-dollar bill. Not just in Detroit either. It's not a new term. I'd like to know the etymology of the term.

And a sawbuck is a ten dollar bill

I had never heard anyone else call someone a "buster" other than in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And a sawbuck is a ten dollar bill
    Because the Roman numeral ten looks like a sawbuck.

Yep, and a double XX sawbuck.

Buster was pretty popular in early 90's west coast rap.

We have/had "fin" for a fiver here in Wisconsin too as well as the possessives for the people you work for, here it was Johnson's, Case's, Horlick's.

With that said and I think its a Michigan thing because I have heard the term in west Michigan I cringe every time I hear/see the term Hi-Lo, its a FORKLIFT damnit.

"We do good work"from Mr.Belvidere

gdogslim Guest

i read that the frbi was recruiting for people who knew urban slang, would you be one of those?
    Yo dogh wat up?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    juggaloes= fans of insane clown posse [[and affiliated artists)
    Absolutely nothing "Detroit" about that.

It's a social problem, for sure, but not one that can be pinned on Detroit, thankyajesus.

Forklift / Hi-Lo, that is funny. I know it's a forklift but I call it a hi-lo. Does anybody else still call those big scoop things steam shovels? I actually remember when they used steam, at least, one that was digging basements on the corner of Lyndon and DaCosta had a steam stack and it could whistle. Maybe 1949, I was tiny and probably remember it because it was terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Hi all! I'm new to forum and registered because I was interested in finding out about slang terms in Detroit. In particular I'm hoping to get some slang words from older members, terms that have been in use since the early '80s.

Thanks!
    Well, there have been several responses, haven't there? Stick around long enough and you will find that topics such as "detroit slang" come around like clock-work. And though I've had a couple of decent comments, my favorite thus far is "all right", "all right".

That's not slang. That's venacular.

A long long time ago I was staying with relatives out in LA. Driving around in the van, heading to the premier of Platoon, I says, "Hey, can we stop by the party store?"

Heh.

Uncle, Aunt, and Cuz collectively say, "What? You wanna stop WHERE?"

Me - "Party store. I wanna get a pop and some smokes."

Uncle, Aunt, and CUZ - "Lil' Gg, what the hell is a 'party store'?"

Me - "Ummm, well, it's where you get stuff for a party. Booze, chips, smokes, pantyhose, playing cards, you name it, it's all at The Party Store."

Uncle, Aunt, and Cuz - "Oh! You mean 7-11's!"

Me - "Ehhhh... yeah. Let's stop by the seven.... eleven's."

I've been a Gary Sinise fan ever since.

oops - I mean Willem Dafoe.
    Last edited by ggores; October-28-10 at 09:26 AM.

I did find myself in LA heading on Melrose to meet up with some pals. I needed to pick up a 6 and spied a sign the read "Party Store". Pulled in, walked inside and it was indeed a party store. Balloons, crepe paper, etc.

they were kind enough to re-direct me to a more appropriate locale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Traditionally, a five-dollar bill. Not just in Detroit either. It's not a new term. I'd like to know the etymology of the term.
    fin is, i think, from the Yiddish word for five

I don't know how wide the term was used, but when my friends had their shoes/jackets taken at Northland Roller Rink they were asked to "check it in".

Also, I grew up in Southfield and when we saw a ghetto chick we'd call them a "Meeka babe".

I never knew the term "paddy wagon" was a racial slur until just a few years ago. I grew up calling them that, and then I find out it's a racial slur against people of Irish decent. Since I'm part Irish, I've been insulting myself all these years. Something really Irish about that, but I digress. :P

About the forklift thing... I've heard them called a lift-truck and a "jitney" as well. Never heard them called jitneys outside of the factories I used to work in though. Anyone else ever heard that term?

I thought a jitney was a person with a car who makes money by taking people to the grocery store or doctor appointments. Not a taxi, but close. They are under the table type business ventures.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I thought a jitney was a person with a car who makes money by taking people to the grocery store or doctor appointments. Not a taxi, but close. They are under the table type business ventures.
    Yeah, you're right Gaz, that's the normal definition but every factory I've worked in over here in Windsor there's been at least one person who called a forklift a jitney lol.

bartock Guest

[quote=ggores;193820]Well, there have been several responses, haven't there? Stick around long enough and you will find that topics such as "detroit slang" come around like clock-work. And though I've had a couple of decent comments, my favorite thus far is "all right", "all right".

That's not slang. That's venacular.

Hey, I was answering a different question.

From what I can see, most of the link below is total BS, but it is worth a look for a laugh.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...20slang&page=6

#30? Give me a break.

"Corkin' the dolphin"? never heard corkin' used, though the "origin" made me laugh out loud:

"Slang word meaning masturbation. Very popular in the detroit/pleasant ridge area."

"Pony down!"

Say that back in the day while wearing a black puffy coat with a fir trimmed hood would cause the 'burbie kids I hung out with to drop a load in their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "Pony down!"

Say that back in the day while wearing a black puffy coat with a fir trimmed hood would cause the 'burbie kids I hung out with to drop a load in their pants.
    Ah, Pony Down. Now I'm back in the Reagan era.

Notorious Detroit phrase: "Check it in"
    you heard that phrase, you knew what time it was? Your sheepskin, your Starter's jacket, your Tens was the target.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Ah, Pony Down. Now I'm back in the Reagan era.

Notorious Detroit phrase: "Check it in"
    you heard that phrase, you knew what time it was? Your sheepskin, your Starter's jacket, your Tens was the target.
    Those Max Julians.... the richer thug wannabe's bought them... the poorer thugged out dudes checked 'em in....

And if your boyfriend had one, you could wear it, but only inside somewhere, like either Northland or Fairlane Mall [[back in their heydays) so everyone could see you stylin' but not too much because they might want to jack you once you got outside....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast