Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Looking for the name of a western movie, gold rush type.

Ive been trying to find the name of a TV movie or series that I caught about six years ago. Looked like it was made in late 90s or 00s. It was about the gold rush. The one storyline I remember was of a river at a mining camp that was taken over by different miners from all over, each having a different claim. The Chinese claim kept giving up gold until a couple of Americans kicked their ass and took over their claim. Soon the two guys find a huge chunk of gold under a huge rock and quietly get it back to their camp. One gets drunk and the other steals the gold chunk. Drunk man wakes up realizes what happened and goes after the first guy. They both get in a fight on a boat in the river, both die and gold sinks to the bottom.

Ive looked everywhere trying to figure out the name of this series. Can anyone recall the name? Ive always wanted to try and find the entire series and am hoping Netflix has it. If only I knew the name. Ive tried a bunch of different sites specializing in westerns and the gold rush but I dont recognize any.

So, is it a movie or a series? If series, broadcast [[ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) or cable [[TNT, HBO, etc.) ?

Any idea on cast members?

The only thing I can think of that's close to that story line is "Paint Your Wagon" with Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood. But the story is different from what you have written.

Are you talking about 'Deadwood' on HBO?

I believe it was a made for TV movie or series. It may have been HBO but I dont think so, could have been another cable creation though. It did have that feel to it like Deadwood, which I loved. It was made in the mid 90's or later though but no Lee Marvin and Im a big Lee Marvin fan. I believe Ive checked out all the HBO creations and didnt see anything that looked like what Im searching for.

Thanks Iman, I posted my question there. If they can figure it out Ill say so here.

Yes, please do. I found all kinds of gold rush movies, but the only one that featured Chinese miners was from New Zealand. Other than that, it was Deadwood all the way. Good Luck!

Id like to think myself a fairly good film critic so Im kind of surprised no one knows of this series. I thought it was great but only saw one or two episodes. I thought it was really well done with strong characters and good various plots much like the most popular HBO series around today. This has been driving me a bit nuts for at least a few years. It wasnt Deadwood, Ive seen every episode [[Loved It).

You're talking about Episode three of 'Into the West'
    Episode 3 - Dreams and Schemes
    Jethro and Thunder Heart Woman remain together in California and a daughter, Corn Flower [[Chantelle Webster), is born to them. While working at the Wheeler ranch, now dubbed Rancho Paradiso, Jethro encounters a 49er named Martin Jarrett [[Sean Astin) who brings him the first news about the California gold rush. Jethro soon follows him to the nearby American River to prospect for gold, although he returns home each night.
    Jethro dreams of quick riches but all he finds are a few small grains. Undeterred, he begins to spend more and more time looking for gold. Without Jethro's labor, the ranch begins to run into difficulties, with essential repairs being left undone. Jethro also takes to drinking heavily and becomes abusive towards Thunder Heart Woman and the children. After one too many arguments turn violent, Abe High Wolf Wheeler [[Tyler Posey) decides to leave.
    Jethro's nephew [[although it is claimed in the movie that he is Jethro's cousin), David Wheeler [[Balthazar Getty), arrives as a 49er and becomes Jethro's partner in prospecting for gold. Angered by the successes of a group of Chinese immigrant miners, Jethro and David drive them off and steal their claim. After finding a huge nugget of gold, Jethro and David argue over how they will split their new fortune. After Jethro falls asleep, David steals the nugget and heads toward San Francisco. Jethro follows him and the two exchange gun fire. As David tries to escape in a canoe, the two struggle and both are drowned. To support her family, Thunder Heart Woman starts to sell food and supplies to the miners.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_th...TV_miniseries)

When I read this thread I was thinking of the movie "Avalon" about the 4 Jewish brothers moving to the USA with their families in the late 1940s.... after Thanksgiving dinner the children are mesmerized and keep staring at a "test pattern" on the new fangled invention known as Television... and the 4 Jewish brothers are talking with a Yiddish accent about a western movie....

"What was the name of that movie... the one with the stage coach? Reply: Stagecoach!"
    "Yes the one with the stage coach... what was the name of it? Reply: Stagecoach!"
    "Yes the one with the bad guys and the good guys and the stage coach, what was the name of that movie???
    Reply: Stagecoach!
    "Stagecoach?"

Just got back to Imans site and discovered the name of the series was Into the West but of course Jcole got it here first.

Thanks all. Hopefully Netflix has it free.