Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default busing, decline of detroit and it's schools

i searched but didn't find a specific thread addressing this issue, sorry if it's a repeat

i was born and raised in detroit, went to clark elementary until the day that the great social, economic, and racial equalizer of busing came into play, they wanted to ship me by bus 30 minutes away to a school, when i lived 1/2 a block on chatsworth from clark, and i was only in the first grade....

so i then went to st. clare parochial school until my parents were able to flee the city in 1976, selling their home on chatsworth for less than they purchased it only 7 years prior.... moving to the promised land of grosse pointe....

busing in itself is what destroyed the city, probably, and with understandable opposition, without it today you would probably have enclaves of viable school "district" areas in detroit, be them predominantly white, hispanic, or black, and its not argueable that most of the resulting poor and underfunded school districts would be predominantly black, but at minimal there would be within the city, areas where people with minimal means, could move and benefit from a viable schools

now, as the result of busing, the entire basic detroit school system is less desireable......

busing killed detroit......
    Last edited by Goose; October-24-10 at 10:07 PM.