Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just found this on WDET; Michigan on Film.

There is an audio available of the first show with Jennifer Granholm as guest speaking of the tax incentives etc...

"Michigan on Film" is a new monthly show focused on our emerging film industry and its impact on the state's economy. Hosted by Emery King, Chairman of the Michigan Film Office Advisory Council, the program explores the new jobs being created for Michigan residents, the new opportunities presented by the industry, and the new infrastructure taking shape in the form of production studios and workforce development programs. Emery will be joined each month by his co-hosts Jim Burnstein, Vice Chairman of the Council and Chair of the screen writing department at the University of Michigan and Lisa Dancsok, consultant to the Michigan Economic Development Corporation.

Michigan on Film airs at 11a.m. on the first Friday of each month.
    http://www.wdetfm.org/michiganonfilm.php

I am also disapointed when radio [[and TV) stations whose primary audience is in the city, moves to a suburban office building. I understand that these station are part of clear channel, who has caused the long slow death of local broadcasting. It wasn't that long ago when Detroit had the best variety of local radio and tv news broadcast in the midwest if not the country. Clear channel should not be allowed to control this much radio content in any boardcast area. I also don't understand why their sport station, that broadcast all of the major sports [[with the pistons moving downtown) has not moved downtown to be in closed poximity of the teams.

I also will not contribute any more to channel 56 since they left Detroit. I don't care if they where given a great lease deal that included newer broadcast equipment, they should have lived within their means and within the urban fabric and culture that they are [[supposely) tring to promote. I suspect that the equipment they where given is already or will soon be outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by leady106 View Post
    I don't care if they where given a great lease deal that included newer broadcast equipment, they should have lived within their means and within the urban fabric and culture that they are [[supposely) tring to promote.
    Doesn't "lived within there [[sic) means" imply that taking "a great lease deal that included newer broadcast equipment" would be a sound fiscal policy?

As I understand it -- and I'll gladly accept correction or clarification from anyone more knowledgeable than I am -- the Wixom facility was the home of a television production operation that had gone belly-up. It was completely wired for high-definition production and had production space and amenities that would have been cost-prohibitive at the former downtown location. Since what amounted to a turn-key space became available, why not take it -- especially if you couldn't make the Detroit location work cost-effectively with the new technology?

I don't think it's a lease, either -- I think DPTV owns it outright. Again, I could be wrong.

It still transmits from the same [[Southfield-based) tower that it has used for many years.

At this point in time, radio stations are so bad, they could move all stations in the Detroit area into one broadcast building, using one transmission tower, and one pre-recorded disc jockey. The station could be called 'Sybil'. Not Alice, or Rocky or anything else. Just 'Sybil'.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    At least in all of this stuff I've managed to save some money. As someone who previously donated a decent amount to Detroit Public TV I find no reason to support them after moving to Wixom.

The sad comedy of the whole situation was that they insisted they could not find a location with enough exposure in the city [[even though the city offered to try to get them near Campus Martius).

The high visibility/high profile location. Wedged next to 96 in Wixom. Had they just said that they wanted to move to the suburbs, move closer to leadership's homes, reduce taxes [[if they pay any) etc that is one thing. The blatant bs made me keep my wallet in my pocket when they are fundraising.
    I agree 100% jt1... the "previous" president of WTVS probably had a shorter commute to home from Wixom... but too bad he didn't retire earlier...

I still watch... but not one cent... ironically I'm going to see one of the their sponsored events next month [[Celtic Thunder) at the Fox... but getting my tickets directly from the Fox box office.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Is any of Detroit's mainstream media [[tv) based downtown besides WDIV?
    I believe WDIV is the only one. Other news outlets, such as Crain's and the Freep/News, are downtown.

anybody worked/interned for any of these stations? what was your experience?

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    anybody worked/interned for any of these stations? what was your experience?
    I interned at WJLB w/Mildred Gaddis' Sunday morning talk show way back when [[when the station was in the Penobscot Bldg.) and at WWJ [[when the station was in Southfield). Great experiences at both places.

The link that started this thread is over a year old!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2