Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Correct. However, rather than say probably, you should back it up.

http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/...e/569#students

http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/...e/346#students

5% difference. Not terribly significant.

What is most striking is that you have a 80%~ black school district in a 80%~ poor black city a stone-throw away from a 80%~ white district in a 90%+ rich white city. That is some serious 21st century segregation. Something to think about, or, in the case of many people on this board, something to not think about but instead just saying, "well they don't work hard so they r poor!!!1"
    Ok, since you seem so concerned about this "injustice", what is your solution? seize GP and relocate everyone to balance them out?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Ok, since you seem so concerned about this "injustice", what is your solution? seize GP and relocate everyone to balance them out?
    The scary thing is, that a lot of posters here would answer "yes."

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    The scary thing is, that a lot of posters here would answer "yes."
    Keep punching those strawmen, dude...

Regardless of how you feel about GP [[and I think GPers are much more interested in the city improving than most of the region), without GP residents many of the cultural places in the city would not exist or would have went under years ago.

Another thing that jumps out to me is that people in GP support cultural activities remaining in the city as opposed to many people in the region that would prefer they just be moved elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Regardless of how you feel about GP [[and I think GPers are much more interested in the city improving than most of the region), without GP residents many of the cultural places in the city would not exist or would have went under years ago.

Another thing that jumps out to me is that people in GP support cultural activities remaining in the city as opposed to many people in the region that would prefer they just be moved elsewhere.
    I agree. Residents of the GPs whom I know have a different orientation towards Detroit than other suburbanities. Many of my new colleagues live in GP, and are enthusiastic about the city. Their focus seems different than those who live out in the exurbs to the north and the west.