Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default S. O. S.!!

Well, the temperature of the previous discussion was NOTHIN' compared to the one we're having regarding Council-by-District.

Whoa.

This is a hornet's nest...and certainly the trepidation my gut gave me as premonition in the shower while preparing for today...as I considered what this day might hold.

The topic contains the single largest change in the city's government ever.

I had to put my earplugs in, since the overall volume levels increased gradually until it became unbearable. It may take a while for my nerves to return to my usual riding-the-moment bliss.

But I'm not backing down...this process is too important to our future.
    Last edited by Gannon; November-06-10 at 03:24 PM.

I had to leave the room.

I feel that the reaction to this new law has the potential to destroy our city.

I am writing this out of frustration, but I heard both sides. I agree with BOTH of them, but they do not see how the other's complaints are valid.

It will take great wisdom to parse the solution from this morass...but I feel, for the future of the city of Detroit to continue intact, that it must be addressed in a way that first and foremost insures that no part of the city be able to break away.

Because the one district that can afford to most certainly will...leaving those in the poorer areas even MORE worse.

Things went completely berserk when one woman accused those in favor of districts that their only motivation was to have someone on council who 'looked like them'.

We all know what that means, but to her I dare say...fair is fair. We've been hearing for years from 'certain' members of council...with every investment and development proposal...who would be involved who 'looked like them'. I believe Councilperson Kenyatta was most famous for that line...but I'm happy to have someone more knowledgeable clear that up for me.

Racism rules...and riles. We need to transcend this silly-ass focus on the intensity of ones pigmentation. I pray that somehow we may able to do so, and soon.

Sincerely,
    John

exasperated in the school cafeteria...appeasing my stress with a nutty-donut binge right now...trying to calm my nerves before I get behind the wheel.
    Last edited by Gannon; November-06-10 at 04:05 PM.

Hi Gannon,

Thanks so much for the reports. I've got several friends on the Commission, and trust that they have a vision for Detroit going forward. They are the aspect of city government that I am the most optimistic about these days.

So sorry about the race stuff. How dare that woman state that the motivation of those who want districts is to have [[presumably) nonblack representation -- it's just so hypocritical until it's breathtaking, especially considering the history of Black America and Detroit. The oppressed becomes the oppressor, indeed.

Gannon,

I'm so glad you were able to make it and give a point of view other than mine! Yes, there are times that I hear Twilight Zone music playing in the background. I ran because of my passion for the city, I stay because we must fight that 'them vs. us' attitude with all our might. I did not attend the District session as I've seen the reaction, some very passionate and some just absolutely misplaced. Yes, bigotry & racism rears its ugly head but I am determined to rise above that. Hope to see more of you tomorrow and in the future.

Tomorrow: 1-5pm, Schultze Elementary School, 10700 Santa Maria [[6 mile & Curtis)
    Topics: Planning & Financial Management [[Pensions), Senior Services, Public Safety & Youth Services

I only heard the Twilight Zone music whenever Cindy took the floor, I do so love her and her unique viewpoints but I wish she could learn tact and timing. When she goes off topic, it can suffocate the entire room.

I am still in awe of the absolute brilliance and passion of everyone who attended.

I must say in retrospect that by the afternoon we had WAY more than 40 attendees...it might've doubled, if I count the new faces I saw in both of those rooms after lunch.

I was impressed with Edgar Vann's keynote speech, but was terribly disappointed that he considered the history of the city to only go back to 1701. It was mighty embarrassing to me to hear a man who leads a group that undoubtedly continually refers to themselves through an identity which goes back to their original native roots in another continent...whose very history was tainted by European colonization and abuse...completely and totally ignoring the validity of those who resided here WELL before any Europeans knew our continent existed.

I wonder if he knows that Fort Wayne, and likely Fort Pontchartrain, were built upon Native holy sites and burial grounds [[which were a portion of their source of power, and government, and civilization...as well as home to their ancestor's bones)??!!

He spoke in economic terms, which to me shows his bias of money over people. I would be happy to know I'm wrong about him...but I've not yet met a pastor of an uber-church who wasn't completely cloudy on this, and simultaneously unaware. People are way more important than money.

I also challenge him on one of his definitive statements, "Without pain there is no progress". I sure would hate to ever be progressive around him! [[flinching in advance...)

Although the bulk of his talk was good, he lost me with that closing anecdote, completely. "I dunno, it's YOUR dream", said the monster in his protagonist's nightmare, when he finally chose to face this thing that had been chasing him. Total vapor. I hope there is more in his soul than that.

I wanted to ask him what he thought the Spirit of Detroit really was...his answer would be quite revealing to this mystic.

I got home OK, but am quite exhausted from enduring that last meeting...while re-reading my comments from yesterday, I realize they were somewhat prophetic. I am now the madman from listening to bitter loops of angry vote losers ad nauseum, even if they are right about the potential of districts to tear apart this city.

I have some observations, and am struggling to decide whether to put them up here or not. I think I shall, in order to foment a bit o' dialogue with the ex-pats and deep thinkers and others who populate this board. I may start some threads on the various topics...as well as upcoming ones. I find the hive mind of this forum to be very beneficial, after wading through the shells discarded by the peanut gallery monkeys!

Cheers, it was a really, really great day. I'll see you after dropping my honey off at the airport...probably one-thirty or so. Keep that coffee urn churning...can you get them to increase the coffee/water ratio a bit? Just one or two more scoops...I think we're going to need all the boost we can get tomorrow.
    Last edited by Gannon; November-06-10 at 06:39 PM.

English,

It was truly inspiring. There wasn't a Commission member that I left considering anything less than stellar respect for...somehow the electorate voted in an entire group of winners. There may be some hope for us yet!

Come to think of it...I guess that explains the look on one fellow's face when he asked why anyone would have difficulty with the Police Chief being chosen by popular vote...and I immediately said, "Because I've seen who they elect!" I didn't mean HIM.

Later on, I proposed that the populace vote for the entire Police Commission, then that body would choose a Chief...or at least recommend three candidates for the Mayor and/or Council to choose. Got one strong insistence to put it into the hands of the citizenry directly again, and I stumbled out, "I'd rather see them make nine little mistakes than have to live with ONE big one for the entire term" when I really meant to say, "one or two bad choices out of nine named is better than ONE out of ONE who sucks until they are voted out!"

I am not good on my feet, and get too rushed and confused speaking in public. But every session I got in a bit of a few pennies.

Cheers, I cannot even think straight right now.

Actually though, that look on his face is always there! I thought you were pretty quick on your feet and I'm glad you spoke your piece. Remember, sometimes the best new ideas come from newbies

Thanks. I had a few decent nuggets...but mostly because I refuse to only consider the options presented...especially when it is clear they've been tried before and have their own problems.

Usually, whenever anyone tries to force me to choose 'either/or', I go right to work synthesizing an AND...and occasionally have to settle on NEITHER.

We have the opportunity to simultaneously learn from past mistakes from other municipalities while forging a very unique Detroit solution. Today showed me that it is very likely that we will succeed, as long as we keep those vested interests at bay.

I wish I knew who in those rooms attended Kwhyme's emergency meeting at Cobo Hall just before his entire world came undone. There are 174 suspects...if the estimate of 175 attendees was correct. They would be the ones trying to make it LESS possible for an uprooting of future corruption.

I cannot get over how impressed I was with the fellows from the Police Commission and also Chuck Wilson. The city should do EVERYTHING in their power to get him back in its employ.

Cheers, I'm done for the day. See you tomorrow.

Please, if anyone is even remotely interested in Detroit's future, please get involved. Did I say please?! The more input and reflection of current city life, the better.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; November-06-10 at 09:14 PM.

Today was great.

Although I missed the early session, I made it to the afternoon where the choices were between another Police, EMS, and Fire session or Youth.

There were a few things from yesterday's session which I thought would be more useful if elaborated upon, and I couldn't see where I would put much emphasis on Youth as a function of the City Charter...so there really was no choice for me.

We had a marvelous suggestion and discussion about possibly creating a Fire Commission that would operate similarly to the Police Commission...but obviously not born from the same necessity.

Then it became more and more obvious to me that a Inter-department coordinator is absolutely necessary. From yesterday's discussion, led by the excellent Dr. Wilson, we already knew some form of Public Safety leader is necessary to get fire, police, and EMS able to work together, as well as the other departments they rely upon. With regards to fire, they need to have the water department fix their aging hydrant system.

The best part of the day, though, was having dialogue with a couple who have worked closely with the Police Commission on a number of items...and have nothing but the highest respect for Police Chief Godbee. I've been on the fence about him for some time...and it is good to hear regular citizens confirming the positives.

I'm getting more and more positive feedback about Mayor Bing, too. Overall, this has been a very fruitful time.

I would LOVE to have more forumers get involved with the process. If you don't have the time to attend meetings, I can get you in touch with folks who will take your comments directly. All input is being considered, and the notes from these discussions are all being kept for review before the Charter language is written.

I am going to stay close to the process, through volunteering time that is increasingly difficult to free...due my other responsibilities...but this is TOO DAMNED IMPORTANT to miss.

Please help us. We need involvement to insure the city progresses, because what we've done in the past simply isn't working very well now. Although, I will admit, from what I've gleaned about the current charter...it is merely apparent that the government simply isn't working according to the plan already laid out.

Either way, we will all win...learning what they SHOULD be doing, as well as affecting how those rules are set in place for the indefinite future.

Cheers and more...up again, after passing out for four hours...now hitting the pages forwarded to me by MsChievous as homework! She made me laugh with her wonderful way of taming the 'class' today. [[much love, lady, you rock!)

Sincerely,
    John

I want to send a letter to the charter commission regarding issues raised at the forums. where to send snail mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I want to send a letter to the charter commission regarding issues raised at the forums. where to send snail mail?
    Detroit Charter Revision Commission
    65 Cadillac Square, Suite 3210
    Detroit, MI 48226

The city phones don't always work and many times, our city email is down so we've established our own website and email address

http://www.2009drcr.org
    E-mail: CharterCommissionOffice@2009dcrc.org

And a HUGE thanks to Gannon for stressing how important this process is!

can the DEDC be dissolved in the city charter process? I read somewhere that George Jackson was being plucked by Snyder to serve in state government in some capacity..

Quote Originally Posted by MsChievous View Post
    :-) Based on the mandate given by more than 72% of the voters, I'd say districts are safe.
    Yeah, but what KIND of district voting? How many districts? What size? Will there be an at-large component? When you have so many people involved in the rewrite and there's such an entrenched interest in keeping things the way they've been, how do you ensure actual reform the way voters intended? Detroit's movers and shakers have a nasty habit of getting their way all the time.

The next Charter Convention is this Saturday [[9-5p) & Sunday [[1-5p), November 20-21, Brenda M. Scott Middle School, 18440 Hoover, Detroit

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2