Quote Originally Posted by lafayette View Post
Speaking of mystery buildings and refurbishing activities, anybody know anything about the building at the northeast corner of where northbound Mt. Elliott forks and becomes Conant, just north of I-94? Looks like it's about a hundred years old, possibly originally some type of retail/bar, up until recently was dark brown with an older white name of Mother's painted on it. A few days ago guys painted the entire outside of the building the color of Silly Putty. Looks like someone is doing something with it. Anyone know the history of the building and/or what's being done with it now?
Yeah, people are working on old Mother's bar. It had some of the greatest graffiti on it a few years ago. Somebody had painted the virgin Mary on the door, so you'd see that driving up Mt. Elliot. Then somebody did an amazing thing: They painted Alfred E. Neuman's face over the virgin. I used to laugh my ass off at that. Then somebody -- possibly an outraged Catholic -- blacked the whole thing out.

I sure do wonder what they intend to do with that space. A bar? Maybe not. So far the only people developing anything along south Conant or Mt. Elliot are the Bangladeshi and Yemeni communities, not well-known for drinking.