Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Huh, whhhat?

Don't mind MIRepublic, he only attacks people. He doesn't seem capable of analyzing an issue. You would be amazed at how much food for thought I've had from debating and communicating with other forum members. I think that I have grown from being a member of this forum, just as I have seen others grow. So please, if you ever a have a comment for one of the threads, I would encourage you to post it. Everyone's voice deserves to be heard, mine, yours and even MIRepublic's.
    Last edited by kraig; May-08-09 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    http://www.detroitblog.org/ just did a great but sad article on a holdout in this area called last man standing

The guy at the store said that if you don't know where you're going, you could wind up on the bridge. If anyone thinks he's exaggerating read the following.

Story Tools

Font size:
    Photo visibility:

'Lost' border runner gets 90-day term

By Sarah Sacheli, The Windsor StarMay 1, 2009

A Detroit man was "lost in construction" when he drove onto the Ambassador Bridge in a stolen car and under gunfire ran the border into Canada, Ontario court heard Thursday.
    Deandre James, 25, was sentenced to 90 days in jail for possession of stolen property, dangerous driving and failing to present himself to a customs officer. Once he is released from jail in Windsor, he'll be handed over to U.S. authorities who will prosecute him in Michigan.
    On April 7, James drove a stolen 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix onto the Ambassador Bridge. He was driving the wrong way and narrowly missed bridge employees directing U.S.-bound traffic. U.S. border guards fired shots at the car and James sped into the on-coming lanes, missing Canadian Customs booths by driving the wrong way in the truck lane into the U.S. He continued down Huron Church Road, driving against traffic and forcing other cars and pedestrians out of his way. Windsor police arrested him at gunpoint in the city's west end.
    "It was never his intention to cross the bridge into Canada," defence lawyer Maria Carroccia told the court. "He got lost in construction..... Then he got shot at by U.S. Customs."
    Until that day, he'd never been to Canada, Carroccia said.
    Court heard James is on parole in Michigan for a 2006 conviction for carrying a concealed weapon. It is one of six convictions on his criminal record.
    He is wanted in Michigan for a parole violation.
    Justice Guy DeMarco gave James the standard two-for-one credit for the 23 days he has already spent in custody, sentencing him to a further 44 days in jail. Carroccia said James will likely be released after serving 30 days of his sentence.
    Immigration officials will then hand him over to police in Detroit where he is wanted for carjacking.
    "There is an allegation that the vehicle was stolen in Michigan at gunpoint," she told the court.
    DeMarco told James that once released from jail, he is banned from Canada. He also ordered James to provide a blood sample for the police DNA databank.
    © Copyright [[c) The Windsor Star

If you like wasting your time arguing with grossly biased and compromised shills and disingenuous and intellectually dishonest hacks who have no real intention [[regardless of what they portray) of dealing in honest debate.

LMFAO ... somebody need some Midol?

Let me know when the honest debate is going to begin .. I mean, aside from the "Moroun's bridge causes cancer, asthma and prostitution and he's a dirty slumlord [[[[[[, so he couldn't possibly do anything that's not illegal and evil" narrative so many around here seem to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    If you like wasting your time arguing with grossly biased and compromised shills and disingenuous and intellectually dishonest hacks who have no real intention [[regardless of what they portray) of dealing in honest debate.

LMFAO ... somebody need some Midol?

Let me know when the honest debate is going to begin .. I mean, aside from the "Moroun's bridge causes cancer, asthma and prostitution and he's a dirty slumlord [[[[[[, so he couldn't possibly do anything that's not illegal and evil" narrative so many around here seem to enjoy.

Don't be so hard on MIRepublic. I need his help. I want to build a taxpayer paid for, publicly owned incinerator where the MCS is. I need people like MIRepublic that will only focus on the fact that Matty Maroun won't like it in order to get approval.

If anyone here wants to duke it out - meet at high noon this coming monday, the 11th, at whatever that place is called where cars drive around in circles and try to run people over by the coneys, hard rack and compuware. We'll have a canvas ring set up and plenty of oversized boxing gloves. We got some girls and boys from Michigan avenue to carry cards and strut their stuff between rounds. This is an unofficial DY sponsored event.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    If anyone here wants to duke it out - meet at high noon this coming monday, the 11th, at whatever that place is called where cars drive around in circles and try to run people over by the coneys, hard rack and compuware. We'll have a canvas ring set up and plenty of oversized boxing gloves. We got some girls and boys from Michigan avenue to carry cards and strut their stuff between rounds. This is an unofficial DY sponsored event.

Stop it, my entire office is still staring at me wondering what I'm laughing about. That was good.

There's not likely any objective discussion with Bshea about this. Are you one of those, 'The government is all bad' guys, citing your negative military experiences as a rationale to indict the government for every perceived injustice, excluding them from doing anything? Ronald Reagan, George Bushkin and their ilk, implicated the government in every failure known to man, purposely running up HUGE deficits, so they could "drown it in a bathtub", to paraphrase their acolyte, Grover Nordquist.

Christ, that straw man is so large that it's shadow engulfs both the bridge and train depot.

Grover Nordquist? Really? Focus and stay with me here. We're talking about the bridges.

I'm one of "those" who doesn't buy into the notion that government ownership means something is any more safe or effective than private ownership. The federal government already controls access to our international bridges, no matter who owns them, but the Nanny State's ownership of the bridge itself means nothing.

Civil servants in charge of infrastructure built by the lowest bidder on a government contract doesn't make me sleep better at night. That's not to say private industry is infalliable. It's not: The Ford Pinto. But government is no better than private is my point. Uncle Sam is no guarantee that the bridge will be stronger, safer or more effective.

Look at Port Huron: MDOT build a Blue Water Bridge plaza that was too small the day it opened in 1997, and now the city is being destroyed as the mistake must be corrected to the tune of at least $500 million.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    There's not likely any objective discussion with Bshea about this. Are you one of those, 'The government is all bad' guys, citing your negative military experiences as a rationale to indict the government for every perceived injustice, excluding them from doing anything? Ronald Reagan, George Bushkin and their ilk, implicated the government in every failure known to man, purposely running up HUGE deficits, so they could "drown it in a bathtub", to paraphrase their acolyte, Grover Nordquist.

Christ, that straw man is so large that it's shadow engulfs both the bridge and train depot.

Grover Nordquist? Really? Focus and stay with me here. We're talking about the bridges.

I'm one of "those" who doesn't buy into the notion that government ownership means something is any more safe or effective than private ownership. The federal government already controls access to our international bridges, no matter who owns them, but the Nanny State's ownership of the bridge itself means nothing.

Civil servants in charge of infrastructure built by the lowest bidder on a government contract doesn't make me sleep better at night. That's not to say private industry is infalliable. It's not: The Ford Pinto. But government is no better than private is my point. Uncle Sam is no guarantee that the bridge will be stronger, safer or more effective.

Look at Port Huron: MDOT build a Blue Water Bridge plaza that was too small the day it opened in 1997, and now the city is being destroyed as the mistake must be corrected to the tune of at least $500 million.

Very good point. Ironically, every public hearing I've been to that dealt with either the DIBC or the DRIC, there was always someone there using the Bluewater Bridge as an example of how well things would go with a publicly owned bridge, and look what's going on with it now. The people in Port Huron are royally and justifiably, pissed.

And, before anyone's stomach gets into a knot, I'm not saying that to say that there should not be a DRIC. I'm saying that to say that we've all experienced enough shortcomings in these public projects by now that we should know enough to be on the lookout for something going awry and the public having to pay and suffer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Very good point. Ironically, every public hearing I've been to that dealt with either the DIBC or the DRIC, there was always someone there using the Bluewater Bridge as an example of how well things would go with a publicly owned bridge, and look what's going on with it now. The people in Port Huron are royally and justifiably, pissed.

And, before anyone's stomach gets into a knot, I'm not saying that to say that there should not be a DRIC. I'm saying that to say that we've all experienced enough shortcomings in these public projects by now that we should know enough to be on the lookout for something going awry and the public having to pay and suffer for it.
    The Blue Water Bridge is one of the biggest clusterfucks in Michigan!!

For anyone that wants to get to either Port Huron proper, or go northward on M25 to Lexington and points beyond... there's nothing like sitting in I-94 traffic for 2 hours just because there's no way to get around the bridge mess. Take an earlier exit? Sure if you like Wadhams road about 30 miles back near the Macomb County line and take the dirt backroads... or take Waters St. exit, and only be able to go southwards [[northwards the street dead ends about 8 miles north of the exit).

The state created such a hassle up there, and folks so want to avoid Port Huron proper, that it makes Matty almost seem credible!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2