Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The cold harsh reality for me was that I got a quality education for a fraction of the cost. I was able to stay home, work and have all the facilities UM had to offer.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    The cold harsh reality for me was that I got a quality education for a fraction of the cost. I was able to stay home, work and have all the facilities UM had to offer.
    "a quality education for a fraction of the cost" is great and all but it's still a COMPARISON to the Big House. Is that a backhanded compliment? Is that really the kind of assessment you want to have for this institution that gave you such a quality education? Can your institution stand on its own merits?

See it how you need to see it to get you through life.... I'm just asking....

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Agreed on all points re: UMD. One of my aunts is a grad of UMD; she matriculated at the Ann Arbor campus, hated it, and transferred.

I'm a fan of smaller universities for anything except for terminal degrees. When you're a med, law or Ph.D. student, you need the resources of the largest universities. However, as undergrads and non-terminal master's students, many first generation students benefit from smaller classes taught by senior faculty [[as opposed to TAs and lecturers), personalized attention, and a more human scale.
    Good point about the smaller class sizes English. I hated WSU for that very reason, and stopped going there [[for other reasons as well) after 2 years. After a lapse of many years I went back to finish my undergrad and grad at UofD Mercy. Loved the smaller class sizes... and actually having a professor teach the class [[no substitute grad students).

UDM also offered a wonderful undergrad/grad summer course program at some of the colleges at Oxford, England. Spent 3 awesome short summer semesters there [['89, '90 and '94).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    UDM also offered a wonderful undergrad/grad summer course program at some of the colleges at Oxford, England. Spent 3 awesome short summer semesters there [['89, '90 and '94).
    I took that course, too! Summer 2001 -- it was the best summer of my life!

I went to UofM-D, about 30-40% of my professors actually taught at both schools.

For undergraduate the biggest difference is the campus culture, Ann Arbor obviously has a vibrant 24 hour scene, while Dearborn has almost no campus culture.

That said, I still loved the school, it was perfect for me. It allowed me a great education at a very reasonable price, and I was able to maintain projects closer to home.

On occasion I proudly wear UofM gear, and I bought season tickets in the student section every year.

All and all a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    "a quality education for a fraction of the cost" is great and all but it's still a COMPARISON to the Big House. Is that a backhanded compliment? ....
    Hmmm not sure what your issue is. If you read my posts I was referring to my time at MSU. I graduated in 1986, have had a nice professional career as have many of my fellow UM-Flint grads. I never attended UM mainly because I had everything I needed in my hometown.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Hmmm not sure what your issue is. If you read my posts I was referring to my time at MSU. I graduated in 1986, have had a nice professional career as have many of my fellow UM-Flint grads. I never attended UM mainly because I had everything I needed in my hometown.
    Hmmmm... no issue here. I'm engaging in conversation. No, it wasn't apparent that your reference was to MSU as opposed to U-M.

So noted.

If you attend UM-D, the degree you get is issued from the University of Michigan. You are invited to the main UM alumni association in addition to the UM-D alumni group. If you login into the UM system, it lists your name, year and degree without differentiating what campus you attended. Of course, you don't get the "campus" atmosphere of Ann Arbor, but you do get a quality, UM education.

Quote Originally Posted by proc2000 View Post
    If you attend UM-D, the degree you get is issued from the University of Michigan. You are invited to the main UM alumni association in addition to the UM-D alumni group. If you login into the UM system, it lists your name, year and degree without differentiating what campus you attended. Of course, you don't get the "campus" atmosphere of Ann Arbor, but you do get a quality, UM education.
    Isn't this like a UC-Merced grad saying they went to UCLA or UC Berkley? Yes they are all part of the University of California system, but the campus and entrance requirements are drastically different. They are separate schools, just under the UC umbrella. Isn't that the same here? different entrance requirements...etc? Frankly if I were a UM AA grad, I'd be pissed at the dilution of the degree that is being allowed and apparently encouraged. I don't mean that as an insult, but UM AA is a top 5 public school. When it comes to ranking and prestige [[the point of the thread) It's not listed as "the University of Michigan". It's "University of Michigan- Ann Arbor". This is not a case of a distinction without a difference. The difference is UM Dearborn is ranked 32nd in Regional Universities with UM Flint ranking 88th in the same category. That does not mean they are "bad" schools. It means they are different schools. pretending otherwise seems kinda shady.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Frankly if I were a UM AA grad, I'd be pissed at the dilution of the degree that is being allowed and apparently encouraged.
    That does sound like something a U of M Ann Arbor grad would get pissed about. You can always spot one in a crowd.

Isn't this like a UC-Merced grad saying they went to UCLA or UC Berkley? Yes they are all part of the University of California system, but the campus and entrance requirements are drastically different. They are separate schools, just under the UC umbrella. Isn't that the same here? different entrance requirements...etc? Frankly if I were a UM AA grad, I'd be pissed at the dilution of the degree that is being allowed and apparently encouraged. I don't mean that as an insult, but UM AA is a top 5 public school. When it comes to ranking and prestige [[the point of the thread) It's not listed as "the University of Michigan". It's "University of Michigan- Ann Arbor". This is not a case of a distinction without a difference. The difference is UM Dearborn is ranked 32nd in Regional Universities with UM Flint ranking 88th in the same category. That does not mean they are "bad" schools. It means they are different schools. pretending otherwise seems kinda shady.
    Different schools? Sure. In my response, I didn't pretend they were the same school. I merely stated that the degrees at UM-AA, UM-D and UM-F are issued by one body, The University of Michigan. Rank them anyway you like. I understand that too. But, dilution of a degree? C'mon now. Should all graduates of UM-D and UM-F hand their diplomas back in and hang their head in shame? You make it sound as if their hard work wasn't worthy. Maybe the schools should change their names to Dearborn State University and Flint State University? Then, the AA grads [[and you, obviously) wouldn't have to be pissed about the "dilution of the degree". A college degree is a hard to achieve. Its not nice to disparage people [[many, many thousands in this case) based upon where they chose to earn it.

FWIW, schools in the University of California system, and for that matter, the University of Wisconsin system. are definetely setup to encourage the individuality of the UC and UW school experiences and have a vast number of separate campuses [[not just 3 as we have here in Michigan), utilizing the UC/UW name. Same with the State University of New York system.

Adding just a bit...bailey, you wrote, "...It means they are different schools. pretending otherwise seems kinda shady...". Who is pretending? Graduates of all the UM campuses recieve UM issued degrees. Does that make The University of Michigan shady for giving degrees in their name to the other campuses?
    Last edited by proc2000; October-26-10 at 02:16 PM.

I don't know how to say it any more clear, the only point was that they are different schools that share some resources. There are huge distinctions and they are not just in dorm life or location. If you went to UM-AA you went to a top 5 university. if you went to UM-D you did not. They aren't satellite campuses, as many try to portray them, they are different schools. Nothing that I said was meant as an insult. My comment was simply that claiming the only difference between AA and the others is class size or cost, would likely be taken as one to those that actually went to AA.

Adding just a bit...bailey, you wrote, "...It means they are different schools. pretending otherwise seems kinda shady...". Who is pretending? Graduates of all the UM campuses recieve UM issued degrees. Does that make The University of Michigan shady for giving degrees in their name to the other campuses?
    .that part on the UMD and F degrees were the -Dearborn or -Flint is inserted differentiates them. Curiously the UM-aa doesn't say Ann Arbor though. Why is that?

My ire..and the shady comment, however, is more with the UMD or UM F grad decked out head to toe in UM gear and thumps his chest about "UM" [[usually following it up with a "cow college", "couch burning" or "compass college" slam) who clearly did not go to what the world recognizes as The UM. I believe that was the question asked in the OP's post.

further, if it was D-state or F-University as you proposed, I don't think there would be anyone from either passing themselves off as UM-AA grads...which again, is the op's issue.

This recent U-M Ann Arbor grad believes that UMD/UM-Flint grads have every right to list that their degree is from the University of Michigan, because it is.

Then again, I'm one of those who didn't go to the top tier until I was at the very end. Smaller and less prestigious schools served me very well in every way. I very nearly enrolled in the U-M Dearborn master's program in Public Administration -- the only reason I didn't is because WSU put together a better financial aid package.

U-M Dearborn is a fine school, and it's likely that a UMD bachelor's degree recipient was taught by more faculty and adjuncts from the professional world, and fewer grad student assistant types that you find around Tree Town. No, your experience as an undergrad is not the same when you're not taught by faculty who are actively researching and publishing on the topic of the course.

Exactly, further U M Dearborn has an articulation program with Henry Ford Community College next door. This set up helps successful HFCC graduates transfer bonus credits towards the U M Dearborn bachelors program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    UofM Ann Arbor is difficult to gain entry so many who don't get in try going to UM Dearborn, getting good grades then transferring to Ann Arbor. As I understand it the credits get carried over and re-applications get preferred status.

UM Dearborn is a good school. Unfortunately it is a purely commuter campus. It's most striking feature is the massive parking lot behind it, recently totally resurfaced which said to me that they plan to keep it that way. IMO they should build dormitories back along the Rouge and make it a real campus.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-28-10 at 03:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2