Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by szla View Post
    I understand that the cornices that were deteriorating were made of formed concrete. The limestone cornices were not deteriorating.
    Yes the marvelous post war architecture manages to make more victims with concrete.

A newlywed couple in Montreal last year were having a quiet dinner at a Marriott hotel downtown;

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/st...er-report.html

^ More of a maintenance issue. Buildings fall apart, they all do. It's just the owners aren't interested in making sure they stay together and preventing that from happening. The biggest offenders were buildings clad in marble. I have no idea why anyone would ever clad a building with marble panels, but misguided architects did back in the 50's-70's only to see them fall off years later, and of course face big lawsuits.

Yes the marble thing is a good one. Contraction, expansion of a soft stone material like marble has played havoc with the First Canadian Place building in Toronto. They are replacing the marble cladding with white glass panels at a cost of 100 million$ In Chicago the Aon center was reclad in white granite at a cost of at least 80 million in the 90's because the marble was a shitty material to use. Same exterior designer for both buildings insisted on using the carrara marble on both buildings. Both buildings had panels fall from great heights. Edward Durell Stone was a Michelangelo wannabe, he might as well have used pre-stressed cowdung.

Another find in this photo is what appears to be a radio station antenna near the east riverfront. The antenna array is strung between these two masts:

Attachment 7627

Commercial broadcast radio hadn't yet started; only government, military, and corporate communication services, or experimental/amatuer radio existed. I would guess that it belonged to one of the local shipping companies or maybe a government agency [[Weather Bureau, Coast Guard).

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Another find in this photo is what appears to be a radio station antenna near the east riverfront. The antenna array is strung between these two masts:

Attachment 7627

Commercial broadcast radio hadn't yet started; only government, military, and corporate communication services, or experimental/amatuer radio existed. I would guess that it belonged to one of the local shipping companies or maybe a government agency [[Weather Bureau, Coast Guard).
    Don't forget the telegraph. Wireless was around from before the Titanic Disaster. A simple low power communication device for passing ships isn't out of the question.

Mike, is it true that you heard the CQD and the SOS from the Titanic??

Yes, radio telegraphy as opposed to radio telephony, could fall under any of the same operator categories: commercial [[shipping, railroads, financial services, personal messaging), government [[military, federal agencies), amateur, etc. A few related links:

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1903clrk.htm

http://earlyradiohistory.us/1908gl.htm

Now that is a cool pic! I'm sure glad the air is not as polluted as it used to be. I love seeing a pic of the old DIA and Sts Peter and Paul.

Here's another angle... WOW!

http://www.shorpy.com/node/9236?size=_original

Anybody here ever go to the Gayety?

That's a truly great picture. Love the view down Woodward to the river, long before the ill-advised [[in my view) 'slum clearance' left us with a big void south of Jefferson that fills up only for special events. You can also plainly see the back of the large and beautiful [[Google up a front view) Light Guard Armory that stood at Brush & Larned before it burned down spectacularly in 1940.

They keep coming!!!

Another Detroit landmark: The Ford Building.Incredible how lenses can make a building look even more impressive.

I haven't seen that one, thanks Whitehouse!

Stromberg2

Default So this isn't Cadillac sq......... right?

Has the S&S monument ever been moved? Or just that fountain? This would be the "hub" of the wheel correct? I'm thinking the left-right road on an angle is Woodward looking north-ish...with the Brush st car on it? I was confused looking at this photo because as far as I know, behind the county building [[or is that you old city hall? which would make it the spot Chase Tower is on now right?) sits the old First Baptist church on Griswold. And either the S&S was moved or the fountain....it's screwin me up! And I don't know about any major re-alignments of the roads there in the "hub". I'm figuring the fountain was the easier of the two to move, and it's the fountain that's really screwin me up.

Sorry if this has already been posted, my work blocks Shorpy so I can't tell what you guys are looking at lol. I want to pull my hair out everytime a Shorpy post comes up.....everyone gets so excited and I can't see too lol

Anywho....again from vintageobscura.......1880's or 90's. Sorry it's so small. I had to shrink it significantly to upload it, so please...click the link.

Attachment 7673

here's a link to the larger image
    http://vintageobscura.files.wordpres...7/4a03666u.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Has the S&S monument ever been moved? Or just that fountain?
    Here's your answer.
    The monument was repositioned on Campus Martius Park traffic circle for the restoration of the park.
    Source.

[[Bit of a bummer they left out airmen in the monument. Granted, they had a valid reason for that. Flying had not been invented yet, although balloons have been used in combat at the time.)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-31-10 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Another find in this photo is what appears to be a radio station antenna near the east riverfront. Commercial broadcast radio hadn't yet started; only government, military, and corporate communication services, or experimental/amatuer radio existed. I would guess that it belonged to one of the local shipping companies or maybe a government agency [[Weather Bureau, Coast Guard).
    Mike, those are cell phone towers. The time travelers constructed them so they could use their cell phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post

[[Bit of a bummer they left out airmen in the monument. Granted, they had a valid reason for that. Flying had not been invented yet, although balloons have been used in combat at the time.)

lol....thanks Whitehouse. Neat picture though. There's one of those light towers in the shot as well.

Magnatomicflux, the view you've posted is looking northwest across Woodward. The building you're looking at directly is old City Hall, which stood on the site currently occupied by the One Kennedy Square [[Ernst & Young) building. Fort St. is the street running off into the distance on the left. Cadillac Square is out of view to the right and behind you.

This entire area was reconfigured into a traffic circle with the new Campus Martius Park in the middle of it in 2004. As Whitehouse's post indicates, The Soldiers and Sailors Monument was moved about 120 feet south at that time. The fountain I think you're referring to, which is the pyramid-topped structure that sits in the middle of Fort St. in your picture, is called the Bagley Memorial Fountain and was actually built as a drinking fountain. It's been moved a few times, including spending several years broken up in storage. It too was moved to its present location after the Campus Martius reconfiguring.

Thanks alot EastsideAl. That 's the fountain I was talking about. I noticed in the photo I posted that people were drinking out of it. Sure would be nice if we could have things like that again without worrying about it.
    Nice to know it's name though! We have a beautiful fountain in Willistead park that used to sit on Devonshire road near the Pere marquette station you could drink from. It even fed a horse trough at one point. It was built by Hiram Walker and donated to the people of Walkerville to commemorate Queen Victoria's 60th year of rule. So I would think it was built in 1897.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2