Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Does anyone in here consider Comerica Park home?

To me, an outsider who's never seen a big baseball stadium up close and personal Comerica Park seems to be a decent park. You know, it look like a quintessential baseball park, dedicated to that one sport. Not a multi purpose cookie cutter of yesteryear.
    Compared to Tigerstadium it must be an improvement in just enjoying the game and the availability of amendities is much better. there must also be downsides of course. The history is left behind at Trumbull avenue.

Now that some time is passed, has your opinion of the park improved?

Me myself had a similar thing. Here's my story.

Our football stadium, soccer if you will, was aging. We were playing in the second devision for decades and suddenly we promoted to the Dutch premier league in 1990. We succeeded in winning the after-season play-off. This was totally unexpected. During the season we ended in 16th place but due to the fact that we won a play off spot early in the season we were allowed to participate.

And suddenly we were among the big guns. We never had Ajax Amsterdam, Feyenoord Rotterdam and PSV Eindhoven as guests. Safe to say the demand for season tickets skyrocketed. The official capacity was about 12000. Our first season in the premier league ended with an average of 14000... We relegated after one season but in 1993 we promoted again and never went down again.

I took 4 pictures with the goal of creating a panorama.Old school, with glue and scissors. somehow I never created it and the snap shots remained untouched. I was lucky I never demolished the pictures cause later I could use them again with a scanner and panorama program. And this was the result.

Pre-season friendly against FC Barcelona, managed by Johan Cruijff. The match ended 6-5!!

As I said, the stadium was at it's end. But I considered it my very own stadium, the stadium I grew up in. In 1994 a new arena opened closer to the city center [[something the Tigers have in common with us) with a capacity of 14000. It took me quite a while to love this concrete substitude stadium. The roof was supported by over 30 poles, which blocked some of the view. I also had to aquaint myself with my new neighbours. The stadium was an all-seater whereas the old stadium was 40% stands. The whole atmosphere was different.

The new stadium in 1997.

Over the years the stadium grew bigger and bigger and is now considered a milestone in stadium building in the Netherlands. It was the first new stadium ever build in a different place than the old stadium.

Now it looks like this, apart from the right corner which is also modified..

If the worldcup football 2018 is awarded to the Netherlands and Belgium, the stadium capacity will rise to 44000 spectators. The city of Heerenveen has a population of 33000! Regardless of the Worldcup, the capacity will be extended to 35000. The stand nearest in this picture will rise to over 40 meters.

We're now 16 years later. The stadium has a double capacity compared to the old stadium. This means that more than half of the current spectators never knew the old one. We sure long to the old days sometimes but in the past 16 years amazing things have happened here also on the current ground. It took a long time but After a while the new stadium became my home.

Is Comerica your "home" or is the loss of Tigerstadium still deep wound inside you?
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-16-10 at 12:13 PM.