Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Yep yep - the excavator must have been what did this massive damage on the front lawn and roof:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=5135

I am in contact with the Historical Society, and the building is being watched - but continues to be destroyed before designation can take place in order to preserve what is left.

These photos are from about 5pm today, and there was a crew boarding up windows and doors, and the demolition machine was nowhere to be seen.

I just don't get it.

GUSHI Guest

What a SHAME, gonna probally get replaced my a partystore?Check Cashing? What a waste.

Maybe another IHOP ?

Kinda speeding up the demolition by neglect process,they say our history is what moulds us such a shame so many refuse to mothball and believe only in self interest .

The police were there around 10:30 this morning with stop work orders. The backhoe was still there at that time.

Who was operating the damn thing? Someone get their "cousin" to come by and speed up the aging process. They know the authorities will barely do anything. One Sunday at a time these pricks will illegally dismantle the place. They will claim it was scrappers. They will get the city to okay the completion of demo on this now hazardous ruin. Finally they have a clear lot to start that party castle/check cashing/dollar store/happy's. Oh and that mysterious scrapper will have made out selling the artifacts he plucked from this beautiful building.
    My take on what will prob happen.

LodgeDodger Guest

Preservation Wayne has been fighting to keep this building for months. They've been the driving force behind the stop work orders. The problem is, when the building's owner's intent is demolition, you have to keep an eye of the building 24/7. Thankfully, the building is being watched--all reports of activity at the building are much appreciated.

DetroitPole Guest

This is a great example why this whole region, nay, state, is a stinking pile of garbage. There is absolutely no sense, no foresight here. Jefferson is a decent retail corridor right outside downtown, which, by all accounts, seems to be holding up okay. Yet we're going to destroy this historical gem for WHAT?! I mean Jesus H. Jones, I know it is unrealistic to want to save every pretty tiled apartment building in the thick 'hood, but this seems pretty damn salvagable. Come on! Any civilized region would jump at the chance to save that building. I dream of moving to one of those civilized places.

bartock Guest

This is supposed to become a monstrosity like the one at Mack and St. Jean? Great, now the folks in Windsor will have a giant "LIQUOR" sign to view just outside of the skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    This is a great example why this whole region, nay, state, is a stinking pile of garbage. There is absolutely no sense, no foresight here. Jefferson is a decent retail corridor right outside downtown, which, by all accounts, seems to be holding up okay. Yet we're going to destroy this historical gem for WHAT?! I mean Jesus H. Jones, I know it is unrealistic to want to save every pretty tiled apartment building in the thick 'hood, but this seems pretty damn salvagable. Come on! Any civilized region would jump at the chance to save that building. I dream of moving to one of those civilized places.
    Any civilized region could support a U club and thus the the need to preserve the wreckage of its derelict clubhouse would not be an issue.

As sad as it is, it was a purpose built structure for which there is no purpose. It passed to the YWCA who clearly bears much of the blame for failing to keep the building up during their tenure. It's now in the hands of a private person and he is free to do what he wishes with it [[subject to demo and zoning ordinances). What would be the point of getting it on the historic register now? the building is dead. any rail line up Jefferson is 30 years away. let it go.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4