Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I don't mean to be cryptic, but I was urged not to say anything because they are trying to seek a court injunction to stop demo this weekend. It's not the GAR or the Eddystone. All I can say is think empty buildings on East Jefferson and of buildings that have recently changed hands. Until I'm given the OK, I can't say. I really don't want to jeopardize anything, and I thought I'd have the OK by now but still waiting.

Well since I don't live there, I'm not as knowledgable as you folks....but to me, the Eddystone doesn't make sense, the GAR clearing out doesn't really do much either. I don't know the name, but if I had to take a guess it'd be the building at Cass & Elizabeth. This is practically the center or a proposed new stadium. This is the most space in downtown and that building is blocking it. So....that's my bet.

Again, think East Jefferson Avenue, just outside downtown.

Ohh...see Dan, you posted that as I was typing my post. I hadn't refreshed. Thanks for the hint.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Again, think East Jefferson Avenue, just outside downtown.

I know EXACTLY which one it is....

The University Club. As discussed on another thread it's a disaster and the new owner might want it gone, for another Detroit parking lot.

Yep...another fucking party store.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    And another "business owner" gets away with this shit. So much for enforcement. Some days I hate this fucking town.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    It was discussed on here a few months ago that the owner wants to tear down the UC and build a brand new, cinder-block party store, as if the city is lack in that department.

Sorry, gave bad info. Not seeking an injunction, but they are seeking legal options.

Oh no, no, no!!!! Not the University Club! Criminy, just go ahead and flatten Brodhead while you're at it - 2 for 1. Detroitfunk has a couple of wonderful photoessays on both of these beauties. I simply cannot believe the endless apathy for Detroit's cultural history.

Oh well, the state of Detroit just reminds of Thanksgiving coming up - stick a fork in this turkey...it's done.

Great, it's Little Harry's all over again. Disgusting. And here come the libertarians with their usual economic function arguments...

OK, for all you Comerica Park haters... I give you Exhibit A.... Joe Louis Arena.... you can wax poetically about its' [[pole barn like) understatated elegance all you want.

Comerica Park had the largest commission of Pewabic tiles since the People Mover was inaugurated. I suppose you don't care for that either?

I found Comerica Park to be somewhat "over the top" when it was first built... but 6 busloads of European tourists all wanted to have group photographs taken in front of it [[CoPa 6, Ford Field 0, JLA 0). They all keep asking questions about what is to them a unique and very interesting complex.

To me "Kitsch" is not that they built lifelike tigers on the building... kitsch would be if they had painted them orange, white and black....

To folks who don't like over the top, then you probably wouldn't like St. Louis's world famous metal "safari" gates either... [[preliminary replica shown)...
    http://www.scan2cad.com/scan2cad-use...ways-model.htm

Perhaps one should be glad that the exterior of Comerica Park doesn't have a "compacted trash cans" look to it....

Bearinabox Guest

Did you post in the wrong thread?

Blarf Guest

Comerica park is ass.

Of all the newer ballparks, it has to be one of the worse. If they would would have done it right, it could have been a really neat stadium. It is probably the least intimate ballpark I have even been in.

I will take crummy old bleachers over some dumb tacky fountain any day. Wow it erupts water every time a Tiger hits a home run. How exciting and original! Lets go ride the Ferris wheel now. That sounds like fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Comerica park is ass.

Of all the newer ballparks, it has to be one of the worse. If they would would have done it right, it could have been a really neat stadium. It is probably the least intimate ballpark I have even been in.

I will take crummy old bleachers over some dumb tacky fountain any day. Wow it erupts water every time a Tiger hits a home run. How exciting and original! Lets go ride the Ferris wheel now. That sounds like fun too.
    It becomes apparent that you're not 12 anymore. Comerica Park is for kids too... are the Merry-Go-Round and Ferris Wheel always full with kids having a lot of fun? Why would you begrudge them that? Ditto for the fountains... the youngsters find that amusing as well.

I think you're still not done grieving over Tiger Stadium... where a lack of any frivolity was the status quo...

Bearinabox... I was replying to specific posts here.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-15-10 at 03:57 PM.

Being from close to Montreal and an Expos fan since day one I can tell you what my first impression of Comerica Park was... if we had that stadium, the Expos would still be here. I miss Tiger Stadium and think it was incredibly dumb to knock it down but you have a gorgeous new park and one that you should be proud of. When we were down last summer the kids had a ball [[no pun intended) getting their pictures taken in front of the tigers... if I could move to Detroit, I would park my ass as close to Comerica Park as I could just so that I could see ballgames regularly. Gawd, I miss the Expos!!!

Crossed wires?

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It becomes apparent that you're not 12 anymore. Comerica Park is for kids too... are the Merry-Go-Round and Ferris Wheel always full with kids having a lot of fun? Why would you begrudge them that? Ditto for the fountains... the youngsters find that amusing as well.

I think you're still not done grieving over Tiger Stadium... where a lack of any frivolity was the status quo...

Bearinabox... I was replying to specific posts here.

I always though the point of going to a baseball game....was to watch baseball. If you want your kids to ride Ferris wheels, take them to a carnival.

It's not so much me still grieving over the loss of Tiger Stadium, but more my dislike of bland tasteless ballparks. Did you not read when I said "if done right, it could have been a neat ballpark"?

Yes, I agree that a landmark building being torn down is ..... SQUIRREL!...a tragic incident for this city.

Yeesh... thread hijack anyone?!

Blarf, we'll just have to respectfully disagree....

But the term "if done right" can have a lot of interpretations.

Yeah, it's kind of "Disneylandesque"... but kids probably get quite a kick out of the fountains, the statues, the bronze player memorial statues... and the rides. Way back when... people went to a ballgame to just see baseball. Today they're trying to make it entertainment with more than just a ballgame.

In 30 years the kids of today will take their kids downtown to experience the entertainment and experience that they felt.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    I don't mean to be cryptic, but I was urged not to say anything because they are trying to seek a court injunction to stop demo this weekend. It's not the GAR or the Eddystone. All I can say is think empty buildings on East Jefferson and of buildings that have recently changed hands.
    This weekend?? And no one has seen heavy equipment rolling into the city?

Is it so much trouble to buy an excisting parking lot and build something on it? Djeez! What a bunch of morons are running the show!

And all Comerica Park remarks should go into this thread.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-15-10 at 08:20 PM.

If they tear down the University Club... Hey, can't the new owner spend 93 cents on a vacant lot [[there's a lot of them) and build a generic building they're going to paint yellow & orange and leave a nice building the funk alone?

I swear to God, this town is being changed to suit drunks and crackheads. Fuck!!!

Stromberg2, disgusted!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast