I would look at the light rail project like a building a old college football stadium. Let me use the "Big House" as an example. When Michigan Stadium was built, it was a hole in a ground. It was small because there no great demand to put tens of thousands in the stadium to watch Michigan football. As the years went by and the teams got better more and more fans went to the stadium and the university administrators realized that the stadium was too small for their fanbase so they started adding on to the stadium and they added on some more and they are still adding on to this very day.

My point is projects like the light rail must start off small because no one knows the future that awaits Detroit and the metro area but to make excuses why not to do it is the reason why the region is in the shape it is now. If they build the rail to the SF grounds and the rail catches on then perhaps L. Brooks or the next executive might want it going through RO but there has to be start but to call it a train to nowhere is a product of the hate that divides Detroit from its suburbs.