Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 ... LastLast

Kansas, ELO, ELP, Pink Floyd, The Who...don't give me any shit about those last two
    I won't. Can I give you shit about the first three?

Here is my fave rock opera by the Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0l8xRRDAOQ

Kid Rock..isn't that a pre-req for living here??

Quote Originally Posted by robyn View Post
    Kid Rock..isn't that a pre-req for living here??
    Hope not, or I'd be forced to move.

I don't think he's got any vinyl out, so I'm safe! LOL

Wondering what to play today...I think it'll finaly be that Sufjan Stevens MICHIGAN album I bought in Berkley, CA when it came out. Happened to be in the greatest used record store I've ever visited, and this album was EVERYWHERE!

But I've never split the wrap on it...goodness, it's been YEARS.

I may just leave these unalphabetized for a while.

In searching out that album, I stumbled across the rest of today's playlist.

Kitaro MILKY WAY [[in honor of those suffering in Japan after this morning's earthquake)

Simon and Garfunkel BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER [[for those who will meet waves beyond their capacity to fathom)

then a bunch of stuff much more mundane.

Alan Parson's Project I ROBOT

Cheech & Chong's GREATEST HIT

Elton John CAPTAIN FANTASTIC And THE BROWN DIRT COWBOY

FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE

then my day should be done...

Name of that killer record store in Berkley is Amoeba Records. They rock. I never travel anywhere NEAR San Francisco without making time to get off my seat on the dock of the bay, cross it, and buy some more vinyl!

Cheers

The late and fellow Michigander Del Shannon

background vocals by Detroit native Marcy Levy [[a.k.a. Marcella Detroit ) she has youtube video's as well and has quite a resume .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcella_Detroit

I had forgotten how mesmerizingly beautiful Alan Parson's I ROBOT was...after the intense beauty of Kitaro setup by Sufjan's mobius melodies, I am in a wonderful space right now.

Gannon don't you even have any Led Zep?? Dude, your 70's collection is bogue.
    Thanks for reminding me why I started listening to punk in high school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ssoBUb2cJk

LOL.

I will REown my complete Zepplin collection as soon as funding and the gods of vinyl bless me with the co-incidental crossing of paths.

I tried merely listening to the re-issue re-mastered CD set...but it was lacking. I put it into iTunes anyways.

But to have Physical Grafitti on 180-gram virgin vinyl...oh, damn, I'm drooling.

I DID find a re-issue on thick real vinyl of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which as far as I know remains rock's best-selling album of all time...and got another copy of The Wall.

Is that good enough to unbogue me for a minute?

I laughed my ASS off at the Cheech & Chong album, boy did THAT bring back memories of the first time I heard it.

Cheers

Dark Side came with THREE posters, and I just realized the copy of E.John's Captain Fantastic was complete with all it's inserts, too.

Oh shit, that is a double-entendre, unintended. Bad enough we all know what a Brown Dirt Cowboy is now...LOL.

I DID find a re-issue on thick real vinyl of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which as far as I know remains rock's best-selling album of all time...and got another copy of The Wall.

Is that good enough to unbogue me for a minute?

No. I only like the first Floyd album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKrCTBpAl8

What if I told you I know a guy who used to DJ at a pirate radio station south of Tucson in Mexico who has a bootleg of an album called Sid Barret?! LOL, they spelled his name wrong.

But I was visiting the guy just after Syd died. Saw albums from them I never knew existed. I've heard Floyd fans say it all went downhill after he left, perhaps you concur?

I think it is all brilliant...although I never quite understood the all the words of Dark Side until I heard the Easy Star All Stars reggae version. I attribute that to too little hallucinogenic use in my youth.

I'm trying to make up for it, though.

Cheers!

I've heard Floyd fans say it all went downhill after he left, perhaps you concur?

Well, sales-wise it was all uphill after he left. A lot of people liked their later music. I just don't find it as appealing as the Syd stuff. Here's a BBC docu. about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea5whDFnV-o

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Well, sales-wise it was all uphill after he left. A lot of people liked their later music. I just don't find it as appealing as the Syd stuff. Here's a BBC docu. about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea5whDFnV-o
    Meddle is a good post-Syd album. Echoes and Fearless and One of These Days are all great songs. In their documentary 'Which One's Pink' they said Meddle basically paved the way for Dark Side.

I love the way they snuck some of the sound effects from earlier albums into The Wall.

If you listen close enough, there are many.

Plus, there is a loop-back message when you listen to the very end of the album, which only continues at the beginning of it...with the same background lullaby theme.

I dunno. I've been enthralled by Pink Floyd at every level ever since the first listen.

Alice Cooper will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame today class of 2011 along with
    Neil Diamond
    Dr. John
    Darlene Love
    Tom Waits
    Leon Russell [[ Leon should have been inducted years ago IMO)

This morning I am enjoying the entire Sheffield Lab live recordings of Harry James and His Big Band, recorded via a simple single-point stereo microphone in a church in North Hollywood...probably not too far from where I lived when I was Technical Editor of that home theater magzine in LA.

I never got too far past the Starbucks and the Wells Fargo ATM, unless I was headed to In-'n'-Out Burger...but I bet I drove by this location often.

The King James Version

Comin' From A Good Place

Still Harry After All These Years

I've got the CDs for them on iTunes already, but know that I'm going to take the trouble to make 96kHz/24-bit uploads of this vinyl. It will be worth the trouble.

Cheers, enjoy the music!

Re: the Pink Floyd talk, for me, Animals is the best album. The Syd stuff is OK. Some of it. Other stuff is just annoying racket that sounds more like a metal trash can falling down a flight of stairs than any sort of composed music.

Other stuff is just annoying racket that sounds more like a metal trash can falling down a flight of stairs than any sort of composed music.
    I guessing you don't like this song either?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhECmBk7fVY

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I guessing you don't like this song either?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhECmBk7fVY

I don't hate this or the early Floyd psychedelic stuff like Interstellar Overdrive, it just gets old pretty fast, and I've heard them enough I guess. It's like, yes, I get it, repetitive noise somewhat to a beat that is reminiscent of an acid trip. Do we need 7 minutes of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I don't hate this or the early Floyd psychedelic stuff like Interstellar Overdrive, it just gets old pretty fast, and I've heard them enough I guess. It's like, yes, I get it, repetitive noise somewhat to a beat that is reminiscent of an acid trip. Do we need 7 minutes of it?
    One of the good things about Piper at the Gates of Dawn is most of the songs are short. "Overdrive" is the longest thing on there.

Today, thus far, it has been:

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS
    [[which may have one of the best album covers ever, LOL)

Rickie Lee Jones GIRL AT HER VOLCANO
    [[still remembering her performance at the Concert of Colors a few years back)

Robert Jones KING OF THE DELTA BLUES SINGERS
    [[wondering if he ever got his soul back from that crossroads contract)

Beforehand, the morning was filled with blessed silence...heh...so I've got to make up for it!

Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 ... LastLast