Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I walked past both the Y.O.B.S and the one by Washington Square. The Y.O.B.S had all of their freezers and equipment covered in sheets as some guys were inside working on the flooring. Also, the one in Washington Square looks like it is coming to completion.

I gotta say, French, but you must be happy as a clam to be living in Detroit now. One of these days, I'm going to do it myself. Nothing like city living!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    The wraps are amazing.

Please, everyone shop there when you can! I don't want to have to shop at U-Foods ever again! Kim's is a fantastic addition to the neighborhood, and exactly what I needed. They capture all of my grocery dollars.
    I had an appointment in the area&stopped in Kim's afterwards.
    I have to say it's very nice. Not as wide of a selection as I'd like but very clean,produce looks good,and the service was 5star all the way. I'll try the wraps when I go back again.
    I'm very happy to see such a nice shop in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I gotta say, French, but you must be happy as a clam to be living in Detroit now. One of these days, I'm going to do it myself. Nothing like city living!

Stromberg2
    YES! Growing up in Rochester Hills for 18 years is no where near the amount of Fun I have had in the City in the last 4 months. Everyday I can walk around Midtown or Downtown and notice a positive change! And the walkability here is a very nice improvement over Rochester.

Hah! Stale pizza on the spinning thing under the light bulb. Yikes!

And don't forget those individually seal salted pickles [[ugh!). The 'loose' cigarettes sold out of package individually are affectionately known as "loose ones" or "loos-is". It illegal for cigs to be sold that way but I don't think the ATF is try-na' to roll up into every liquor store to monitor this popular mode of commerce.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    ....in Detroit a mom and po market is really a liquor store with potatoe chips, loose cigarettes, and probably stale pizza are considered groceries by the owners and the people in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-18-10 at 06:33 AM.

I love Kims!! I try to give them my business as much as possible. They have a great cheesecake sliced individual to go. And recently they've had great brussel sprouts. Great place, great people!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I had an appointment in the area&stopped in Kim's afterwards.
    I have to say it's very nice. Not as wide of a selection as I'd like but very clean,produce looks good,and the service was 5star all the way. I'll try the wraps when I go back again.
    I'm very happy to see such a nice shop in that area.

Drove by YOBS and the flooring company had a crew of 4 or 5 people working inside---so a hopeful sign!

In the suburbs a small mom and pop market is really a market where groceries are purchased, in Detroit a mom and po market is really a liquor store with potatoe chips, loose cigarettes, and probably stale pizza are considered groceries by the owners and the people in the neighborhood. I had been inside the so-called market in Washinggton Blvd. No real groceries are sold there. Just another liquor store that contribute liquor tax to the states failing economy. That is probably why they are popping up all over Detroit disguising themselves as "Markets"
    Its attitudes like this that keep myths alive. You obviously must only see that because you only buy beer in 40 oz bottles. On the Warrendale blog, the author was sick of hearing this and posted this video.

I wish that someone would buy the formely Downtown Foodland location. The apartments, condos, and co op need a good food market in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I love Kims!! I try to give them my business as much as possible. They have a great cheesecake sliced individual to go. And recently they've had great brussel sprouts. Great place, great people!!!
    Well now I'll have to put the cheesecake on my list too lol.
    You're right about the people. I'm not sure if the brunette who waited on me was the owner or not but she was a delightfully cheerful woman. I told her that you here on DetroitYes are very fond of the shop. She was happy to hear about the good reviews you all are giving Kim's Produce.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Its attitudes like this that keep myths alive. You obviously must only see that because you only buy beer in 40 oz bottles. On the Warrendale blog, the author was sick of hearing this and posted this video.
    Look at all of the so-called small corner markets that are in the inner city. Look at the gas stations/convenience stores. Any difference? Grosse Pointe, for example, have the Village Market. You are not greeted by junk food as soon as you walk in the door. You are greeted by produce such as dry goods, dairy produce etcs. The butcher's section is in the back. The are markets in Birmingham, Royal Oak, and Ferndale that are design in the same fashion. State Groceries Market, Chalmers Market, and most of the small neighborhood moms and pops market are nothing but conveience stores without the gas pumps. Bad meats, outdated foods, and haven for pandhandlers, flirtatious store clerk, and gangs.

Look at all of the so-called small corner markets that are in the inner city. Look at the gas stations/convenience stores. Any difference? Grosse Pointe, for example, have the Village Market. You are not greeted by junk food as soon as you walk in the door. You are greeted by produce such as dry goods, dairy produce etcs. The butcher's section is in the back. The are markets in Birmingham, Royal Oak, and Ferndale that are design in the same fashion. State Groceries Market, Chalmers Market, and most of the small neighborhood moms and pops market are nothing but conveience stores without the gas pumps. Bad meats, outdated foods, and haven for pandhandlers, flirtatious store clerk, and gangs.
    Really you need to get out more. There are lots of markets in Detroit that do a great job. Sure they are not as fancy as anything you have in Grosse Pointe, but people in Detroit are not ging to get all of the bells and whistles that those in Grosse Pointe have.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-20-10 at 08:30 AM.

Really you need to get out more. There are lots of markets in Detroit that do a great job. Sure they are not as fancy as anything you have in Grosse Pointe, but people in Detroit are not ging to get all of the bells and whistles that those in Grosse Pointe have.
    I am not talking about supermarkets. I am talking about the small "Corner Markets" that are no bigger than a storefront. The ones not even big enough to be called "Super" You just walk in get you groceries and walk out. Kim's Produce is the only one I could think of that fit the description. She was clever enough to call it "Produce". When I was coming up there was a Super Market on a main street such as Gratiot but there was a smaller market on the corner of the block where a person could pick up fruit, dairy produce, cleaning goods. etc. Unlike the crap you see in detroit that labeled themselves at small market. There might be some in the city that are the same plane as Kim's but they are very far and few between.

statsu how are these even related with markets like Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe?

statsu how are these even related with markets like Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe?
    You were the one who had mentioned the State Market on Washington Blvd not me. So I had commented about the market not really being a true market. You had derailed from the original topic so I had followed you. There is a nice market in Detroit's east english village that I had forgotten to mention. The Yorkshire Market. It is on Mack and Yorkshire. Visit that market and then visit that State Street market on Washington Blvd and tell me what is a true small market

Today I noticed something called the State Street Market and Deli. It is on Washington next to the Book Cadillac. I am going to try to make a walk to it this week. Its kind of funny because I noticed it right after looking at the old Quizno's and wondering to myself 'with all these hotel rooms and condos here, why hasn't anyone used this space for a small market!'
    Here is where you had mentioned it. Thanks

Here is where you had mentioned it. Thanks
    I was going to start a new thread but noticed that folks were talking about other markets in town.

Im not sure if it were the owners of the store, but on Friday I was walking past YOBS, and on their "patio" there were 3 people looking over what appeared to be some sort of blueprint for the store. I don't know what that means as when they will open, just relaying what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Im not sure if it were the owners of the store, but on Friday I was walking past YOBS, and on their "patio" there were 3 people looking over what appeared to be some sort of blueprint for the store. I don't know what that means as when they will open, just relaying what I saw.
    I think a butcher shop should open on lower Woodward near campus martius

I talked to one of the owners. He mentioned that the opening has been delayed due to circumstances out of his control, and they are planning to open at the beginning of the year.

Who knows though if other delays will occur. Just thought I'd pass along the information.

walked past today and saw a city of Detroit vehical parked outside. Two men were inside checking the place out.

Has anyone heard anything about YOBS opening?

I drive by every day...lights are always on, looks like its awaiting inventory. But its been like this for a while now.

Are those lofts above the shoppe?

According to my neighbor who lives in the lofts above the store, the owners are planning to open in March. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2