Maybe this member from Canada has not been following the foreclosure situation in the US as closely as I thought but this article is jaw dropping for me. We have all heard of the fraudulent mortgage lending but this is the first that I have heard of fraudulent foreclosures.

http://www.care2.com/causes/politics...re-moratorium/

The comments to the article may be more informative than the article itself. For example:
A true national moratorium is so timely and needed. My family was working with our lender to modify our mortgage. After playing by their rules for MONTHS, we received a letter dated September 20 stating that our request for a modification was denied but that we had 30 days to discuss alternative options. But I come home this week to find a note on the door stating that our house was sold on October 4 [[by my count, day 14). Although I admit that we are in default, I am overwhelmed, frustrated, panic-ridden and downright angry that our lender did not stand by what was stated in their last letter to us. On top of that, we actually have a "late-breaking" solution in that I've gotten a job offer from a company that will agree to buy the house as part of our relocation. Don't know if it's too late for us [[although I'm leaving no stone unturned), but there should be some recourse for the fact that one part of the lender organizations doesn't seem to be talking to the others.