Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

We've had two cars stolen. One was found by the police the next day, which was encouraging. Less encouraging was the fact that the thief was written up for Grand Theft Auto and possession of marijuana.

The dude stole my freaking car. Do you really think I care what he was smoking? Overzealous drug enforcement in the city is a joke.

I had my car stolen 6 years ago from 6 Mile and Stahalin. My buddy and I drove around for a couple hours searching for it, then I finally went to the police station to file a report. It turns out that Detroit's Finest had found my car already, about an hour earlier. Props to the DPD for a job well done.

The only things that were missing was a couple of my Cure CDs, which I think the towing company probably helped themselves to, since I'm sure the thieves don't like The Cure!

The kids who stole it were 12 and 14 years old. When I went to court, one of the little angel's moms asked me "what were you doing in Detroit anyway", since as a white man, I guess I'm not supposed to be here. I could see how they thought stealing wasn't a big deal after that warm welcome by their parent.

About two months later, a 14 year old with the same name as my thief was driving a stolen Jeep that was being chased by the police. While turning a corner at a high speed, the Jeep rolled over and the kid was thrown from the vehicle and killed. I always wondered if it was the same punk who stole my car.

I once made the mistake of hanging my jacket up at the Bronx, on the busiest night I'd ever seen there. At the end of the night the jacket was gone. It was a cheap jacket, so I didn't much care, except that my keys and cell phone were in it. So I walk the two blocks to my car, which had been left at the parking lot at Forest & 3rd. I see what looks to be my car, same make, model and color, in the spot I had, but I notice the hubcaps are different and I quickly figure out what had happened: whoever took the jacket must have walked all around the neighborhood trying the key, found my car, stole it, and in the interim the exact same type of car pulled into my space.

So, the next morning I get a rental [[which insurance paid for) and make the report. I remembered that I had left a movie from Blockbuster under the passenger seat that I hadn't yet returned, so I called Blockbuster to tell them it was gone and to find out how much I owed. The clerk looks up the movie in the system and asks me to hold on for a minute, then gets back on the phone and tells me that the movie was returned to a Blockbuster in Highland Park. The effing car thief returned my movie! Gee, what a saint.

Then, a couple days later I get a call from a detective in Rockwood, a town downriver that I had actually never heard of. He tells me they have my car, that they caught the guy speeding down I-75, apparently on his way to visit his dad in Ohio. It was a 25-year-old homeless dude, who suddenly found himself some wheels, and thought he'd take a road trip, which for whatever reason involved speeding in a stolen car. I went down there, got my cell phone back, which had some girls names and numbers programmed on it--dude must have picked some ladies while cruising in my fly mid-90s Mazda Protege. I had told the detective about the movie rental return over the phone, and he told me at the station that he'd asked the guy about it, and the guy told him "I didn't want to ruin his life." Bwahahahaha.

The guy ended up serving a couple months, then, as the detective later told me took off and left the state. It was worth the ordeal, just for the story and to have flushed that one piece of shite out of Detroit. But I almost wished they had never found it. I was looking forward to a check from the insurance company and a new car. The Protege went ahead and died a year later anyway.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal_Son View Post
    We've had two cars stolen. One was found by the police the next day, which was encouraging. Less encouraging was the fact that the thief was written up for Grand Theft Auto and possession of marijuana.

The dude stole my freaking car. Do you really think I care what he was smoking? Overzealous drug enforcement in the city is a joke.

This may be the dumbest post I have ever read.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    This may be the dumbest post I have ever read.
    You need to spend more time on here then. We'll probably top that one before lunchtime.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    You need to spend more time on here then. We'll probably top that one before lunchtime.
    At least I have something to look forward to.

The area I'm referring to is the opposite side of Livernois, basically parrellel to Sherwood Forest. I don't know the overall breakin rate over there, but another terrible problem they have is finding you car on bricks in your driveway or in front of your home the next morning. It is unbelieveable. All these things plus some caused me to leave Wayne County and take residence in Oakland.

Slick-from OTIS; "Gunshot wound Blends in with freckles, hard to photo"

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    Slick-from OTIS; "Gunshot wound Blends in with freckles, hard to photo"

What does that untrue statement have to do with the topic being discussed