Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default It begins in Tennessee.... Detroit after that?

This is most disturbing in many ways. I picked this up from Littlegreenfootballs.

The conservative vision of utopia [[touted by many of the GOP
    candidates in this election) is a society in which most government agencies are privatized, and unfettered free enterprise reigns supreme.
    Here’s a look at what that vision means in the real world: Tennessee County’s Subscription-Based Firefighters Watch As Family Home Burns Down.

Imagine your home catches fire but the local fire department won’t respond, then watches it burn. That’s exactly what happened to a local family tonight. A local neighborhood is furious after firefighters watched as an Obion County, Tennessee, home burned to the ground.
    The homeowner, Gene Cranick, said he offered to pay whatever it would take for firefighters to put out the flames, but was told it was too late. They wouldn’t do anything to stop his house from burning. Each year, Obion County residents must pay $75 if they want fire protection from the city of South Fulton. But the Cranicks did not pay. The mayor said if homeowners don’t pay, they’re out of luck. […]
    We're outraged inhere over the conduct of Assistant DA Shervill, but if this is going to be the policy of the DFD all hell is going to break loose. Lifes are in danger if the fire department will not act in a fire cause you didn't subscribe to them. What's the use of a fire insurance? If I was living there, my house caught fire and the fire department would extinguish the flames, I would sue them into oblivion.

It hans't come this way in Detroit. The DFD is still a force you can reckon on and admire. Let's hope it stays this way.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-04-10 at 04:10 PM.