Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Stosh Guest

There used to be a rendering plant somewhere under the bridge at Harper/ I75 before the incinerator that beat anything that the incinerator put out all to hell. Combined with the smell of the mash coming over from Windsor on foggy nites made for a delicious treat. NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Nah, it's not the incinerator. It's the trash waiting to be burned. Very funky today. Wind blowing the other way. This is how life is on the near east side, midtowners!
    Yeah, it is not the incinerator. Just all the trash that fuels it. Completely different.

It didn't get dubbed the in-stink-erator for nothing. A little vid from cell phone...

What do we Want?? To Shut it Down!

Protest March Tour Pic Here.

"WHAT DO WE WANT? TO SHUT IT DOWN"

Nice clip Boss.

The more toxic pollution spreading throughout our Detroit ghettohoods. That would really upset the natural balance of nature and cause more health problems for the poor who lived near the in "STINK" erator!

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

At least Del-Rey recieves more stink for a toilet factory than the lower east side area.

Neda, I miss you so.

DetroitPole Guest

Really great place for an incinerator and thus an hangar full of rotting garbage. Right smack dab in the middle of the state's largest city, a mile from the cultural center and two miles from downtown. Wasn't Coleman a part of that genius plan? Like Michigan doesn't have enough land to put that thing. I only smelled it a few times when I lived in the Cass Corridor, but go anywhere near it and boy oh boy. Nail in the coffin for Poletown East. Like anyone is going to live near that thing. At least Brightmoor doesn't stink.

Yes, that came up during Coleman's administration. The near east side was a lot more populous then, too.

as the land-management strategic process is underway.. with all the factory pollution in the southwest district, would it be better to relocate the incinerator there, offer some incentives for people to move out of that district.. create landfills.. recycling centers.. eventually have it an industrial-only area..

Don't get me wrong; I want that thing shut down. But there is a rationale for it being where it is: It produces steam, and therefore should be connected to Detroit's smallish steam grid. Given the grid's small size, it really is on the outskirts of it...

It would be cheaper to burn coal or natural gas for steam than trash. http://www.ecocenter.org/recycling/detroit.php

I don' think the incinerator is going away anytime soon, looks like it's about to get new owners.
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/101009935#

In Aug 2007 the scrubbers broke down and it was chest pains and sickness for me in midtown.

DetroitPole Guest

I will NEVER forget that King Bing referred to the incinerator as green energy. Really goes to show where his interests are. Hey Dave, why not find a flat in Poletown East to rent for a while instead of Franklin or your rented condo and tell us how green it is? Bet your old ass can't stomach it for too long.

Guess I don't understand the issue, or why this one causes a problem. There used to be one operated by the city at Southfield and Fullerton that ran most of the time. I don't remember any problems there other than the occasional fire that snuck out into the trash piles waiting outside.

Default Lowell's Shut It Down! Detroit Waste Incinerator

This was totally unexpected: Shut It Down! Detroit Waste Incinerator.

Encore! Encore!

DetroitDad Guest

Default Is It Black Top?

Crews are resurfacing a ton of the roadways and freeways in Midtown, as well as replacing some underground utility lines. For whatever reason [[maybe cost?), they have chosen to spray the new smelly black top goo all at the same time. The new black top stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    When I got out of my car this morning I almost barfed. It smells very strongly like really stinky cheese near the DMC. ANyone know what the hell is causing this? I can actually smell it inside my building now.
    My kids sometimes complain about my occasional gas problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Guess I don't understand the issue, or why this one causes a problem. There used to be one operated by the city at Southfield and Fullerton that ran most of the time. I don't remember any problems there other than the occasional fire that snuck out into the trash piles waiting outside.
    As well as on Jefferson at 24th, and at the end of Fairview, and on Conner at Shoemaker...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2