Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The point of Woodward undeneath the circle would be to make downtown Ferndale more pedestrian friendly...connecting both sides of Woodward, not so much about traffic problems.

Wow looking into the distance northwest were Southfield is and there is nothing. No high rises. Pretty weird for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    A more complete view of the NW corner, with the rail tracks clearly visible in the median.

I'm not sure what transpired on that corner, maybe a fire? It's a shame that's gone and the ugly ass building took it's place. Note the crow's nest has now been replaced with those funky traffic light obelisks.

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    The point of Woodward undeneath the circle would be to make downtown Ferndale more pedestrian friendly...connecting both sides of Woodward, not so much about traffic problems.
    Traffic circles and roundabouts can be very dangerous for pedestrians. These can't just be retrofitted to fit anywhere.

They are safe for pedestrians. There would be crosswalks with signals and only 1 lane to cross...

9mile&seneca Guest

I just wish every day, that it could be the way it was in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by Newdetroit View Post
    They are safe for pedestrians. There would be crosswalks with signals and only 1 lane to cross...
    But don't signals stopping traffic eliminate the point of a circle?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    But don't signals stopping traffic eliminate the point of a circle?
    Yes, in addition you also need to make sure the motor vehicle is able to see the pedestrian. This is not always the case in traffic circles. There are lots of blind spots in Campus Martius for example.

As a pedestrian, you can't see the traffic coming, so you need lights. Lights eliminate the point of the traffic circle. But, hey, it's the latest thing, and with all the money contractors make, who cares whether the thing works or not.

To the tune of MONORAIL:

Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
    Like a genuine,
    Bona fide,
    Stop-lighted,
    Six-lane
    Roundabout!
    What'd I say?
    Ned Flanders: Roundabout!
    Lyle Lanley: What's it called?
    Patty+Selma: Roundabout!
    Lyle Lanley: That's right! Roundabout!
    [crowd chants `Roundabout' softly and rhythmically]
    Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully dumb...
    Lyle Lanley: They're the best thing since opposable thumbs.
    Apu: Is there a chance pedestrians could die?
    Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, you Hindu guy.
    Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?
    Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs.
    Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?
    Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level.
    Wiggum: The ring came off my pudding can.
    Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man.
    I swear it's Ferndale's only choice...
    Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
    All: Roundabout!
    Lyle Lanley: What's it called?
    Lyle Lanley: Once again...
    Marge: But Eight and Woodward should be at grade!
    Bart: Sorry, Mom, the decision's made!
    Roundabout!
    Roundabout!
    [big finish]
    Roundabout!
    Homer: Rounda... D'oh!
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; October-04-10 at 09:59 AM.

It was always "Federal's" in my family. We used to go to the one on Harper near Van Dyke all the time.

I was in that big one in Ferndale a few times as a kid too, since my mother often went out that way to visit one of her best friends who lived in Huntington Woods. We also used to go to the Radio City theater, which was a beautiful example of streamline moderne architecture, with its shiny enameled surfaces and its big beautiful looping neon glowing over Woodward.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jjw View Post
    And curious? Why the Ferndale location. Isn't that an area, if in a car, you want to speed through?

I think you are confusing Ferndale with 95% of Detroit

I just drove through Dupont Circle last night and that thing can fuck right off. It is so big that it has its own traffic lights in the lanes that surround it and half of them weren't working right. Trust me, it's a clusterfuck that you wouldn't want anywhere in SE Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    I think you are confusing Ferndale with 95% of Detroit
    He meant speed through to escape guys in Bing Crosby hats and women's low rise jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    Federal took over that whole corner, is what happened.

wsu/vmc
    I haven't seen this picture before, thanks. Check out the Radio City sign [[and the original Federal sign in my previous picture) and then look at the winning design for signage Ferndale is putting downtown via a Preserve America grant.

More renderings are here, but loading time may make you stabby, be warned.
    http://www.thelakotagroup.com/Ferndale/Phase2.html

Lincoln Park's DDA wanted to do a roundabout at Fort Street and Southfield but MDOT shot it down at a meeting with them about 2001.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3