Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Such an idea isn't really all that bad... for the right location...

But really... 9 Mile & Woodward? Usually grand public squares have buildings to match... what 4 nice looking buildings would end up in the 4 curved blocks around such a circle with a fountain [[and say flowers and trees) in the middle.... a Walgreens, Ace Hardware, IHOP and Autozone??

Grand squares usually have grand structures... and I just don't see 9 & Woodward ever having that.

Now if I were to pick a location for a traffic cricle... it would be E. Jefferson & E. Grand Blvd. That current clusterfuck of roadways and turnabout lanes.... sucks!!

A traffic circle there would have been a much nicer replacement for the filled in E. Grand Blvd. tunnel under E. Jefferson. It would be nice to move the Hurlbut Memorial Gate from just down the street at Waterworks [[since it ain't gonna be a park ever again!). That nice Belle Epoche confection would make a great centerpiece to a Belle Isle entrance traffic circle with the Hurlbut grand staircase facing Belle Isle.

And the 2 waterfront quadrants could remain landscaped with trees, and greenery. The only problem there would be the 2 quadrants north of Jefferson. They'd have to build something nicer than a Big Boy.

a Walgreens, Ace Hardware, IHOP and Autozone??
    I don't think the Ferndale Building is comparable to a Walgreens or IHOP. It's been there since, what, 1915 or something? It may not live up to your Gistokiness, but it's no IHOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I don't think the Ferndale Building is comparable to a Walgreens or IHOP. It's been there since, what, 1915 or something? It may not live up to your Gistokiness, but it's no IHOP.

What about the Gap Outlet/Old Navy Store? Maybe Comos? Yeah those are architectural treasures!

There were historical buildings on those sites, too, but they were torn down to build ugly shit because this is Detroit.

This is the Northwest and Southwest corner, Old Navy ugly would be there on the right.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; October-01-10 at 03:13 PM.

At Como's location there were a couple different things as I remember from the lady at the historical society.

Here you can see a bit of a store peeking out on the right. Crow's nest there in the middle directing traffic, and the two buildings from the above picture again in the background.

A more complete view of the NW corner, with the rail tracks clearly visible in the median.

I'm not sure what transpired on that corner, maybe a fire? It's a shame that's gone and the ugly ass building took it's place. Note the crow's nest has now been replaced with those funky traffic light obelisks.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; October-01-10 at 03:42 PM.

How can that be the NE corner? Is the plate reversed?

I'm not sure what transpired on that corner, maybe a fire? It's a shame that's gone and the ugly ass building took it's place. Note the crow's nest has now been replaced with those funky traffic light obelisks.
    Federal took over that whole corner, is what happened.

Attachment 7542
    wsu/vmc

Wow looking into the distance northwest were Southfield is and there is nothing. No high rises. Pretty weird for sure!
    A more complete view of the NW corner, with the rail tracks clearly visible in the median.

John.... the thread started out as a "Woodward going underground/9 Mile Rd. circle"... but quickly evolved into a large traffic circle. My comments were based on the large traffic circle model.... which would require the elimination of the buildings on all 4 corners.