Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

DetroitDad Guest

I'm not sure if this is off topic, but I really am interested in the future of lower Midtown, the two areas known as Cass Park and Brush Park [[flanking Woodward between MLK/Mack and Fisher Freeway.

The Brush Park and Cass Park areas, with improved transit options, are filled with diamonds in the ruff; ruins that are actually integral parts of a good urban development [[somewhat new urbanist). All that is required in Cass Park and Brush Park is for these ruins to be discovered, fixed up, and redeployed as the assets they are. Some of the hardest things to build or attract are already there, such as schools. Likewise, the MLK and Woodward intersection area serves as a mini downtown which serves the area, already there is medical offices, a local pharmacy, and a grocery store opening there. The Cass Park and Brush Park area also is the nexus that could join together the cultural center, Downtown, Eastern Market, South Woodbridge, and North Corktown.

Cass Park is intersected by Grand River and Woodward, making it extremely desirable if public transit is improved on those routes. Woodward and Grand River are straight shots to two of the wealthiest job centers in the region. Besides mass transit, Midtown is surrounded by a freeway loop that allows for quick entry and exit by car [[or bus, if the bus used the freeways).

What do you guys think; maybe we need a larger overseeing guiding body that works on uniting the "islands" of Detroit?

PS: If you want a good nest egg, buy some property in Cass Park that doesn't cause an impediment to other developments. Preferably, I'd like to see current Detroiters benefit from all this, but after seeing how many people are at the Quick Stop in line to buy lottery tickets every morning, my faith in their investment choices has been shaken.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; September-30-10 at 10:43 PM.