Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    What exactly does racism have to do with where someone chooses to live...
    It could be argued that some people who left during the white flight didn't exactly need to leave Detroit because of what Detroit was lacking. At the time, there were areas right outside Detroit that had pretty much similar settings until the suburban explosion in the 70s.

You could also argue that that's why many suburbanites would avoid Detroit altogether simply because the older generation has imprinted into their heads that large collections of black people automatically means crime. Basically, people will think "Well all my problems are because of black people" so they choose not live near/allow black people to live nearby.

This is probably more prevalent in older generations and might not just be exclusive to just black people and white people. Of course with the younger generations, the same beliefs will be weaker/gone altogether and then racism becomes a weaker factor.

I would say that the farther you go back in history, the harder it is to argue that people were "forced out of Detroit" because of whatever urban problems there were outside of racism. Most of the problems Detroit faces now are a byproduct of racism affecting people's thinking and decisions. Otherwise, this thread wouldn't be such a hoopla in any other town.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I would say that the farther you go back in history, the harder it is to argue that people were "forced out of Detroit" because of whatever urban problems there were outside of racism. Most of the problems Detroit faces now are a byproduct of racism affecting people's thinking and decisions. Otherwise, this thread wouldn't be such a hoopla in any other town.
    Exactly, I wholeheartedly agree!

When this thread was created, the 2010 Census numbers hadn't come in yet, and the ACS numbers showed an increased percentage of white residents. Because the ACS numbers didn't reflect the full population loss in the city, it looked as if the absolute number of non-hispanic white residents [[percentage x base population) had increased since 2000. After the 2010 numbers became available it was clear that was not the case, but it wasn't because people didn't understand the difference between percentages and totals.

Racial boundaries disappearing is something that needs to happen for Detroit and the whole region to move forward.

Too much us vs. "them" mentality.

bartock Guest

I do believe this corresponds with a similar rise in bearded folk.

agrahlma Guest

Gotta love diversity! I’m white [[Irish, Scottish), my 13-year-old son is bi-racial – black/white [[first marriage), my current wife is half Puerto Rican / Cuban, and my future brother-in-law is Korean. One big happy [[loud) family!
    Last edited by agrahlma; October-24-11 at 09:13 AM.

I truly don't understand why anyone would care how white or black either their neighborhood or the city is. If I ran the world, the census wouldn't even ask your racial or ethnic background. For the record, I left those questions blank on my census form. If your neighborhood is wonderful or in the shits, it is not because your neighbors are black or white.

Kurt Metzger sez....

Detroit sees rise in white residents after 60 years

A stunning demographic reversal is taking shape in Detroit.

After six decades of white flight, the percentage of white Detroiters has shot up dramatically, according to a new census survey released Tuesday.

The survey, more estimate than precise numbers, shows that the percentage of white, non-Hispanic Detroiters rose from 8.4% of the city's population in 2008 to 13.3% last year.

Much of the rise can be pegged to younger white people -- along with some empty nesters -- moving to the city, even as African Americans continue to leave for the suburbs.

"What we're seeing is a move back to the city by a younger population that sees the city as cool," said Kurt Metzger, director of Data Driven Detroit.

Kurt is not doing more demographic research in the ethnic population is of Detroit. This city is getting whitter alright, but in a slower pace. Years of black middle class flight to the suburbs and any other cities, slow death of low-income black families though street crime and violence is contributing to the percentage change of blacks, whites, hispanics and other ethnicities in most Detroit ghettohoods. Young white empty nesters are moving into lofts, condos and apts. in most midtown ghettohoods and Downtown Detroit. Quicken Loans luring of its young professionals acclerated white and ethnic influx. Detroit's white population is growing very slowly into its inner ghettoes, other ethnicities are contributing to the growth slowly and black middle class families are quickly moving out the suburbs.

Detroit is slowly getting whitter and the suburbs are getting blacker. You should all see what happen to Southfield, Royal Oak TWP. Lathrup Village Oak Park, Inkster River Rouge, Ecorse and Pontiac.

The next suburban cities in Metro-Detroit are getting blacker is Redford TWP, Westland, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield TWP. Van Buren TWP, Romulus, Taylor, Harper Woods, Warren, Eastpointe, Mt Clemens and Clinton TWP.

313WX Ummm, no. sez....

The only reason the perentage of whites is higher because a lot of blacks moved to the suburbs in the last decade [[the numbers averaged out). The black population decreased from 775,772 in 2000 to 590,226 in 2010. In fact the white population still decreased, even factoring in the yuppification of downtown, which by the way in the BROADEST measure downtown only makes up 7% of the city's population. In 2000 the white population in Detroit was 116,599, meanwhile in 2010 the white population in Detroit was only 75,758.

You're absolutely right and I agree and you all should agree with this factual data.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

When black folks hit 8 Mile Rd. White folks hit 20 Mile Rd. fast!

For the 99 Percenters and the Spirit of Guy Fawkes, Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    When this thread was created, the 2010 Census numbers hadn't come in yet, and the ACS numbers showed an increased percentage of white residents. Because the ACS numbers didn't reflect the full population loss in the city, it looked as if the absolute number of non-hispanic white residents [[percentage x base population) had increased since 2000. After the 2010 numbers became available it was clear that was not the case, but it wasn't because people didn't understand the difference between percentages and totals.
    Yeah, but the post I responded to came months after the official numbers were released. There was absolutely no excuse for the ignorance displayed in it.

I think a multi-cutural Detroit is a healthy Detroit. I thinking of the type of communities that will have real markets, bakeries, delies, etcs to acomadate the community. A multicutural city council and charter who would believe in a strong vibrant neighborhood that is not littered with liquor stores, barber shops, hair shops, metro pcs etc. A mayor is is not bought and paid for by a corporation, Matty Moroun, Ilitch or anyone

What is happening is that the hipsters are moving in and they are dressed so poorly that the naturally hip black people are moving, running to Farmington Hills.

"hipsters" you just gave me a great idea for my Halloween costume...Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    Gotta love diversity! I’m white [[Irish, Scottish), my 13-year-old son is bi-racial – black/white [[first marriage), my current wife is half Puerto Rican / Cuban, and my future brother-in-law is Korean. One big happy [[loud) family!
    I love where this man is coming from. What great marriages bring us together as a family.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5