Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

In the meantime I'm going to wait on the 2010 U.S. Census figures by after April of 2011. Then we will see how white Detroit is.
    Last edited by Danny; October-06-10 at 07:00 AM.

The findings dont surprise me.. black families are moving out in droves due to the horrific public school system, crime in the neighborhoods and the cost of moving to the suburbs has decreased dramatically due to our real estate collapse.. Who could blame them , [[ white or black) for moving when you have kids to worry about. The younger white crowd moving in, along with some empty nesters probably make up for a small caucasian racial percentage increase. Who really cares to be honest, I am more worried about quality, race is abstract as far as I am concerned. As a long time Detroit resident, what seems to happen in my experience is alot of young kids move in, always telling me how they are going to change the city, then get tired of the obstacles, or their lives just plain change and off they go. This scenario has happened time and time again in my 21 years of being a downtown resident. Ofcourse thankfully, there is some exceptions. It seems in the last 5years or so I am seeing alot of exceptions,, which makes one feel very good. There is a good nucleus of us "stayers " however who are dedicated to staying, and do. and contributing. My only hope is the next generation produces people with the same dedication . Its not been easy at times, we have seen it all, but it has been most worthwhile.. God, am I feeling old writing this, it all goes by so fast ..
    Last edited by DetBill; October-05-10 at 09:52 PM.

Any group of people increasing in the city should be viewed as a good thing, unless of coarse, said group is comprised of criminals and thugs.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    The findings dont surprise me.. black families are moving out in droves due to the horrific public school system, crime in the neighborhoods and the cost of moving to the suburbs has decreased dramatically due to our real estate collapse.. Who could blame them , [[ white or black) for moving when you have kids to worry about. The younger white crowd moving in, along with some empty nesters probably make up for a small caucasian racial percentage increase. Who really cares to be honest, I am more worried about quality, race is abstract as far as I am concerned. As a long time Detroit resident, what seems to happen in my experience is alot of young kids move in, always telling me how they are going to change the city, then get tired of the obstacles, or their lives just plain change and off they go. This scenario has happened time and time again in my 21 years of being a downtown resident. Ofcourse thankfully, there is some exceptions. It seems in the last 5years or so I am seeing alot of exceptions,, which makes one feel very good. There is a good nucleus of us "stayers " however who are dedicated to staying, and do. and contributing. My only hope is the next generation produces people with the same dedication . Its not been easy at times, we have seen it all, but it has been most worthwhile.. God, am I feeling old writing this, it all goes by so fast ..
    Yes, same trend is happening in New York City, Washington D.C. and St. Louis and Atlanta. Younger white folks [[ especially the hip cool skinny jeaned ones) are moving back into the inner cities because they want to feel the real urban experience living, being closer to their jobs and colleges and supported poor folks who are both spirtually and physically lost. Same trend may happen in Detroit.
    Last edited by Danny; October-06-10 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What? Haven't they heard? The city is a hellhole, and Oakland County is where it's at! It's full of crime and taxes and minorities and everything we've tried to escape from for years and years and I can't believe that ... aarrrgghh .. [head explodes]
    Hey Racist, why don't you keep your dumb ass in Oakland county and let the cool white people move where they want to move to. Coleman Young died and Kwame is gone. The new man is Bing and he's a businessman not a race baiter you dip shit!

Percentage increase, that means more moving in. Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtown View Post
    Hey Racist, why don't you keep your dumb ass in Oakland county and let the cool white people move where they want to move to. Coleman Young died and Kwame is gone. The new man is Bing and he's a businessman not a race baiter you dip shit!
    Did you seriously just bump a 1 year old thread to fuss about a comment that was nothing less than sarcastic?

You should cool your horses and read through the forum a little more instead. If anything you and Detroitnerd may agree on a lot of things.

Agnes Hitchcock is a moron!

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    the comments section on the freep about that story show just why this region is in the predicament that it is...all freaking negativity spewed out loudly, by those that know the least
    I agree, there are many white people living in the suburbs of metro Detroit who in my opinion, are some of the most racist white people in the country, who want the city of Detroit to die simply for no reason than the large black pop. These people don't like to see an improved city government [[Bing) they love Young and Kilpatrick because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling to have those people in office. Pathetic assholes!

You're not very bright are you?

Percentage increase, that means more moving in. Duh!
    Ummm, no.

The only reason the perentage of whites is higher because a lot of blacks moved to the suburbs in the last decade [[the numbers averaged out). The black population decreased from 775,772 in 2000 to 590,226 in 2010. In fact the white population still decreased, even factoring in th yuppification of downtown, which by the way in the BROADEST measure downtown only makes up 7% of the city's population. In 2000 the white population in Detroit was 116,599, meanwhile in 2010 the white population in Detroit was only 75,758.

http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

I agree, there are many white people living in the suburbs of metro Detroit who in my opinion, are some of the most racist white people in the country, who want the city of Detroit to die simply for no reason than the large black pop. These people don't like to see an improved city government [[Bing) they love Young and Kilpatrick because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling to have those people in office. Pathetic assholes!
    I'm not going to argue with the fact that there are some "racist white people in the country, who want the city of Detroit to die simply for no reason than the large black population."

But how exactly do you explain the nearly 200,000 blacks who also don't want anything to do with Detroit as of the last decade? Are they also racists who want to see Detroit die just because it's a city with a large black population. Are they also "pathetic assholes" as well?
    Last edited by 313WX; October-22-11 at 11:35 PM.

as i drop my drawers and declare myself to the world as the great white hope.

Midtown thru downtown is going to become a legitimate place to live
    and not simply because white people are moving there. I wish this discussion
    was more about income demographics moving to detroit than race.
    Rather hear about a rise middle/solid middle of diverse racial composition
    than the story they are selling.

You're not very bright are you?
    You re-opened a year old thread... started shooting from the hip against people that may or may not still be here... and then you're calling other people less than bright without being specific about who you're talking to?? What's wrong with this picture??

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    as i drop my drawers and declare myself to the world as the great white hope.

Midtown thru downtown is going to become a legitimate place to live
    and not simply because white people are moving there. I wish this discussion
    was more about income demographics moving to detroit than race.
    Rather hear about a rise middle/solid middle of diverse racial composition
    than the story they are selling.
    You have to be realistic too however.

First of all, the demographic Detroit is looking towards to "revive the city" are young college graduates. These same young college graduates are presently struggling to find jobs that even pay a living wage to support themselves, let along enough money to invest in Detroit's growth. And lets not even mention the fact that they're saddled with tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt [[Student Loan Debt nationwide will reach $1 Trillion Dollars by next year).So the question exactly is what income demographic? Many people will cite the Whole Foods development as proof, but remember just recently the other upscale grocery store down there, which was much smaller than the proposed Whole Foods and wasn't heavily taxpayer subsidized, failed not even two years after it opened.

Second, for every one of these Yuppies that move downtown, several of the city's taxpaying, middle class earners move to Harper Woods or Southfield or Oak Park.

So there's no question Midtown and Downtown will likely become a decent place to visit/play/live, but I don't think that area is going to become the grandiose place we're thinking it will.

Why would anybody except staunch racists care if Detroit is getting "whiter"?

Ravine Guest

0 Friends

bigtown has not made any friends yet

Where are these people? I've never talked to a single white person that doesn't wish for Detroit to become a better place.

Well stated... more and more black people indeed want out... yeah we're racists!
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm not going to argue with the fact that there are some "racist white people in the country, who want the city of Detroit to die simply for no reason than the large black population."

But how exactly do you explain the nearly 200,000 blacks who also don't want anything to do with Detroit as of the last decade? Are they also racists who want to see Detroit die just because it's a city with a large black population. Are they also "pathetic assholes" as well?

Oh they're out there.... varied opinions as some look on with an agenda. They have sites soley dedicated to discussions and blogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Where are these people? I've never talked to a single white person that doesn't wish for Detroit to become a better place.

...and riding bikes on Mack Avenue. Don't forget that.

I'm not surprised at this. We've reached a tipping point where the newbies moving in don't know to get an address in the suburbs in order to have affordable auto insurance.

I'm sure that's why they're all riding bikes.

On Mack.

Cheers!
    John

What exactly does racism have to do with where someone chooses to live...

bigtown, that original post you slammed was completely sarcastic...dnerd has that style.

These people don't like to see an improved city government [[Bing)
    The jury's still out on that, bigtown.

He's being sarcastic, not a racist bone in his body.

Stromberg2
    Last edited by stromberg2; October-23-11 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast