My posting in no way should be misconstrued as abandoning or giving up on Detroit! While we work and hope for the revitalization of Detroit, we should seriously consider something different to change the image and psychology of the region. Would the region not benefit immensely if SE Michigan had another major city [[even larger than Detroit in population) to reinvigorate the region???

Specifically, imagine just 11 cities in Macomb county consolidating [[Utica, Sterling Heights, Warren, Roseville, Centerline, Eastpointe, Fraser, St. Clair Shores, Mt. Clemens, Harrison Township, and Clinton Township), overnight SE Michigan would have another major city: population 575,000 and approximately 160 square miles. For name sake, let's just call it Mt. Clemens.

Add on 10 communities from Oakland county totalling 205,000 [[Madison Heights, Hazel Park, Ferndale, Royal Oak Charter township, Oak Park, Berkeley, Royal Oak, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, and Clawson) which by the way used to be out one time all Royal Oak Charter township, this new city would be 780,000 people with just under 200 square miles. This is smaller in size than Columbus Ohio, and much smaller than cities in Texas and the Southwest...Dallas is 360, and other cities are around 400 sq miles. If you want to add Troy, Birmingham, Auburn Hills, and Pontiac, the population would surpass Detroit.

Thus, my question is would this help improve the image of SE Michigan, attract tourism and investors...etc. There are many twin cities...Minneapolis-St Paul, Dallas-Forth Worth..etc.....Why not a Mt. Clemens-Detroit area??????? Imagine the effect of Mt. Clemens being the 10th largest city in the US. It would be considered one of the safest, cleanest, and educated major city in the US with the exception of San Jose. Would this not change perceptions of SE Michigan...Later, we can can concentrate on the ills of Detroit, but at least the region is reinvigorated. Do people agree????????????? Please serious comments...It is just an analytic approach to our situation, so I hope people do not approach the idea with emotional fuel....Thanks