Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ravine Guest

I admire Gazhekwe for tirelessly promoting, and advocating for the cause of, treating human beings with decency and respecting their rights as free individuals in a society that would be a hell of a lot better if more people tried to follow Gaz' example thereof.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Ok...

Felons apply for jobs everywhere, it's hardly unique to Detroit. Besides, there's a distinct difference between APPLYING for a job and actually getting the job.
    Detroit has enough problems just dealing with the thugs and crooks already in office as well as potential crooks coming up the ranks. Why add to problems by hiring other felons. Besides, I thought the City was broke...I think this is a moot point anyway. The City is asking the unions to take pay cuts, they are laying people off...are they seriously considering hiring right now? If so, call in the police recruits that have taken the test at least 4 times already, [[the physical test is only good for 6 months at the recruits own personal cost); have provided their earning statements, provided their driving records, been in constant contact with their recruiters. Or, are they going to wait until they get enough "new" recruits applying for the job that live in Detroit with questionable records?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Key word application. It's not illegal to ask during the interview or background screening process. What was your point again?
    If they are going to be disqualified because of the felony [[as you point out would be discovered during a background check) then why not ask about felonies on the freaking application? Why waste everyone's time and city's money so that some ex cons can feel better about themselves for the short time between application and being told they are dq'd due to that pesky felony conviction. It's not only bad PR its a policy no discernible value.

In some cases being a felon could be a job requirement.

IT TAKES A THIEF Opening Titles
    Let me get this straight. You want me to steal?
    I always thought that show had the coolest theme song.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-19-10 at 12:02 PM.

Why is this even an item during these times?

Well stated. By removing the question from apps. the 'nature' of the felony is concealed and that could be important info pro or against hiring an individual. Also in some case the specific felony SHOULD impact a hiring decision!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'm all for rehabilitated ex felons being able to reenter the workforce, but this is just plain stupidity [[Even for the Clownsil). A criminal record should not permanently bar someone from working for the City, but it has to be taken into consideration in the hiring process. Should Detroit hire those convicted of violent crimes to be police officers? Or those with history of felony embezzlement to handle the City's finances? [[OK, maybe they would be an improvement )

Hopefully this is simply a change to the initial application process, and criminal records will be considered later on in the hiring process. To not even ask the question is just asking for trouble...............

detroitjim Guest

Utterly a stupid decision. If you leave the box on the form and later discover that the applicant has a felony conviction. There is no allowable action for their dismissal . Nothing was implied by asking for response to the question that excluded the applicant from being considered for the position.
    The same CIRCUS only different CLOWNS!

Let's face it, if somebody is trying to get a job that requires an above average amount of "trust", a box on an application doesn't mean squat.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Utterly a stupid decision. If you leave the box on the form and later discover that the applicant has a felony conviction. There is no allowable action for their dismissal . Nothing was implied by asking for response to the question that excluded the applicant from being considered for the position.
    The same CIRCUS only different CLOWNS!
    In my experience what most employers are doing now is background checks prior to employment - both credit checks AND felony checks - so the box on the app. doesn't mean a thing that way. The employers have the prospective employee sign off giving permission for the checks at the interview.

detroitjim Guest

so the box on the app. doesn't mean a thing
    ?
    Lying on your employment application is immediate grounds for dismissal.

Or if a background check reveals that you DO have a felony your application gets filed in the circular one.

lilpup Guest

It's pointless to have the box on the app discourage potentially qualified applicants if the employer is doing background checks anyway.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Take up a life of crime?

Sheesh give them a chance to get straight.
    I definitely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    If they are going to be disqualified because of the felony [[as you point out would be discovered during a background check) then why not ask about felonies on the freaking application? Why waste everyone's time and city's money so that some ex cons can feel better about themselves for the short time between application and being told they are dq'd due to that pesky felony conviction. It's not only bad PR its a policy no discernible value.
    Have you ever applied for a job before? Do you really not get why they are doing this? This is a serious question.

FYI, I don't think many people outside of southeast Michigan really care that Detroit removed the felon question from their applications. It's not like they are the first ones to do so. New York State doesn't ask, nor does Hawaii, Minnesota, New Mexico, Boston, San Francisco or Seattle.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Take up a life of crime?

Sheesh give them a chance to get straight.
    In my humble opinion, I would say that the majority of felons who would apply for jobs in Detroit would be habitual offenders and have been given chance after chance already.

Although, a felon today could look at Detroit as the cornucopia of opportunity to get rich quick with little or no work with all the examples they've had a chance to follow, ie., thug KK, Conyers, Milton, Riddle, and the list goes on and on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2