Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Not a draconian move by Chrysler, but they only move they could make. I'm not concerned about 15 workers who knowingly broke a company rule and gave Chryler a terrible PR problem. I am however concerned about the survival of Chrysler. This episode wasn't going to sink Chrysler, but it certainly gave them a pretty dark circle under their eye.

R8RBOB, that girl in Hollywood represents herslf.
    Those 15 workers represent a company that is fighting for it's very survival.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Not a draconian move by Chrysler, but they only move they could make. I'm not concerned about 15 workers who knowingly broke a company rule and gave Chryler a terrible PR problem. I am however concerned about the survival of Chrysler. This episode wasn't going to sink Chrysler, but it certainly gave them a pretty dark circle under their eye.

R8RBOB, that girl in Hollywood represents herslf.
    Those 15 workers represent a company that is fighting for it's very survival.
    You said it wouldn't sink Chrysler so why fire them? Dark circles heal. What was the government going to do. Ask for its money back. It don't work like that. The only reason why Chrysler is showing embarrassment is because of the Obama factor. Nothing more.

Stosh Guest

Yep, now almost every post here is pretty much spot on as to the real reasons this story was done. Absolutely, NewsCorp should be sued. I never bought into the whole premise of "workers" as tipsters anyway. This was an ambush piece of the worst kind, hurting these workers and their families in the worst possible way.

Ravine Guest

I don't think getting thoroughly blasted, while on a lunch break from one's job, is OK. I don't think it is a disgrace, either.

I clarified that to reiterate my feelings on the general topic. I think the Fox2News guy did something lousy and unnecessary [[unnecessary given that the activity was hardly news-worthy.) Now, a bunch of guys have lost their jobs. Not guys who were stealing parts, not guys who were embezzling funds, not guys who were selling illegal narcotics inside the plant. Guys who were catching a buzz on lunch.

Some of you can justify it to your own satisfaction and feel OK about it, but I don't. I feel bad for those guys and their families, regardless of what level of responsibility, for the firings, they may share, and I think the guy from the TV news show is a dirty rotten little motherfucker who deserves the ass-kicking which he has put himself at risk of receiving.
    I mean, that "well, he asked for it" bit runs in multiple directions, doesn't it?

DC48080 Guest

Right is right and wrong is wrong. You do not go on break and drink alcohol and smoke illegal substances. Period.

Chrysler should not tolerate such behavior and they took appropriate action.

The bottom line is that those employees knew it was wrong to do what they did, and they did it anyway. Why is that so hard to understand?
    Last edited by DC48080; September-27-10 at 09:08 PM.

I think the worse part is WJBK hasn't even tried to deny the allegations of this being a Roger Ailes/Fox News/NewsCorp manufactured story.

It's also strange that no other outlet has picked up on it. The last time that happened the stories were in fact manufactured [[ACORN, Sherrod, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    You said it wouldn't sink Chrysler so why fire them?
    Well, a faulty ignition switch recall wouldn't sink Chryler either. However if you have enough bad things piled up it would. Getting rid of these workers and sending the message that this will not be tolerate is one less negative they have to worry about.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I think the worse part is WJBK hasn't even tried to deny the allegations of this being a Roger Ailes/Fox News/NewsCorp manufactured story.

It's also strange that no other outlet has picked up on it. The last time that happened the stories were in fact manufactured [[ACORN, Sherrod, etc.).
    Perhaps because "the allegation" is BS.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Right is right and wrong is wrong. You do not got on break and drink alcohol and smoke illegal substances. Period.

Chrysler should not tolerate such behavior and they took appropriate action.

The bottom line is that those employees knew it was wrong to do what they did, and they did it anyway. Why is that so hard to understand?
    I understand [[condescending, on your part, to imply that disagreement and/or objection demonstrates a lack of understanding) and accept all of that, but understanding & accepting does not preclude me from feeling bad about it and feeling animosity toward a reporter who, for no noble purpose, has played a very large role in the firing of these guys.

Perhaps because "the allegation" is BS.
    We'll probably know if it's BS or not in a few weeks.

The fact that they purposely went of the way just to target union workers [[and to do so immediately after the bailouts plus after whatever rhetoric about the bailouts toned down no less) smells fishy on its own account.

In Germany they SERVE beer for lunch in the factories, and the Germans make great [[even expensive) vehicles.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-27-10 at 09:19 PM.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I understand [[condescending, on your part, to imply that disagreement and/or objection demonstrates a lack of understanding) and accept all of that, but understanding & accepting does not preclude me from feeling bad about it and feeling animosity toward a reporter who, for no noble purpose, has played a very large role in the firing of these guys.
    There is nothing condescending about it. Don't shoot the messenger for reporting the truth.

There is working time and there is party time. The two shall not mix.

Nobody is defending the idea of drinking/drugging on the job. I don't believe for a moment this is really about buzzed employees. There is a bigger agenda here.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Well, a faulty ignition switch recall wouldn't sink Chryler either. However if you have enough bad things piled up it would. Getting rid of these workers and sending the message that this will not be tolerate is one less negative they have to worry about.
    Sending the message!!!!! I like your naivety. Maybe you miss the part about how the bosses knew what the employees have been doing on their lunch break. Do you think this activity started last year? This has been going on since before you were born and now Chrysler wants to send a message. The only message that Chrysler wants to send is that they have been ratted out and now we have to put our foot down.

Ravine Guest

The "Why is that so hard to understand?" question clearly implies that you are pre-supposing a lack of understanding, and is condescending.
    And, I'm shooting you because it's your message. The "Don't shoot the messenger" bit doesn't apply when the messenger is delivering their own message.

DC48080 Guest

Whatever "the message" may be, it doesn't matter. Substance abuse on the job is intollerable. Plain and simple.

And as to there being a "bigger agenda" please lose the conspiracy theory for a moment and try to boil this down to the crux of the matter: a few bad apples who know better but choose to do bad.
    Last edited by DC48080; September-27-10 at 09:43 PM.

And a reporter who just happened to be there with cameras. You choose to believe what is fed to you.

Whatever "the message" may be, it doesn't matter. Substance abuse on the job is intollerable. Plain and simple.

And as to there being a "bigger agenda" please loose the conspiracy theory for a moment and try to boil this down to the crux of the matter: a few bad apples who know better but choose to do bad.
    So if you have a drug or alcohol problem you should be fired right on the spot, right? No stern warning, no second chances, just fired, right?

Ravine Guest

Well, those guys now have a bunch of time on their hands.
    I think they should follow Rob around.

DC48080 Guest

So if you have a drug or alcohol problem you should be fired right on the spot, right? No stern warning, no second chances, just fired, right?
    As harsh as it may sound, yes. A business is not a social welfare organization. A business exists to produce income for it's owners / shareholders.

Think about this for a moment if you will: if a person is hungry or homeless and they put a gun to your head and rob you, or they break into your home and steal your possessions, should that person be excused because the have a "problem"?

A job is a responsibility. If one wants to collect a paycheck, one needs to follow the rules. Period.

Maybe you miss the part about how the bosses knew what the employees have been doing on their lunch break
    I did. Which report mentioned it?

As harsh as it may sound, yes. A business is not a social welfare organization. A business exists to produce income for it's owners / shareholders.

Think about this for a moment if you will: if a person is hungry or homeless and they put a gun to your head and rob you, or they break into your home and steal your possessions, should that person be excused because the have a "problem"?

A job is a responsibility. If one wants to collect a paycheck, one needs to follow the rules. Period.
    You guys are hilarious. You can't make this shit up. Homeless robbing you, thieves stealing your possessions and you are comparing this to guys who were drinking on their lunch break.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    I did. Which report mentioned it?
    Not a report just a comment I posted. You want to flame on something that has been common knowledge?

Not a report just a comment I posted. You want to flame on something that has been common knowledge?
    Flaming? I asked a question. You sounded like you were speaking from fact. I looked all over for a report on the statement made that the bosses knew. I couldn't find it and by your above statement, I guess there wasn't a report on it and I didn't miss "that part about the bosses knowing about it"

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    Flaming? I asked a question. You sounded like you were speaking from fact. I looked all over for a report on the statement made that the bosses knew. I couldn't find it and by your above statement, I guess there wasn't a report on it and I didn't miss "that part about the bosses knowing about it"
    My bad. I just didn't want to go into a Q & A on how foremen and managers know what their employees are doing. After all, they worked the line too.

Not only that, but if the bosses couldn't smell the beer and smoke on these guys, makes you wonder what they were doing. I am still dismayed at the gloating that is going on about people who apparently were doing their jobs just fine, losing their jobs because of something they did on their lunch hour.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast