Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Dobermans still scare the heck out of me.

Lets not ban the dogs, only ban the owners who want certain breeds of dogs.

Lets face it it takes a certain type of person who would want one and walk it around on a gigantic chain, and use it as a status symbol. These are not the types of folks you want to live near.

One of my sisters has a "pitt bull" that is one of the nicest dogs one can ever meet. And will only act up if one is jumping round or running, it wants to play. It really thinks it is a lap dog. My other sister has a half-pit, half-rott who is also a wonderful dog. These dogs live in houses where there are children under 10 years...However, both of my sisters and their husbands are very good at disciplining the dogs. The former dog can be more rambunctious.

On the news, they said she might be charged for harboring a dangerous animal. How can woman be charged with "harboring a dangerous animal" when it was never dangerous before? Just destroy it.

Default Any breed can be a danger

But Pit Bulls are just so damn strong and tough. They were made for combat.

I don't care if the Pitbull is nice, friendly and well trained. All it takes is one incident for someone to be seriously hurt or killed. Children are safer being left with loaded guns than being left within reach of a pitbull.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    http://opdogblog.blogspot.com/

This seeems like a pretty good law to me.
    good start but I think a training element is also needed

side note her dog looks a lot like my dog and my dog also hates to go use the bathroom in the rain...maybe they are related

I don't know if it's the perfect answer or not, but I would support a ban.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    On the news, they said she might be charged for harboring a dangerous animal. How can woman be charged with "harboring a dangerous animal" when it was never dangerous before? Just destroy it.
    Her dog attacked two people, one of whom only came to the dog's attention because he intervened to save a life. She's lucky she's not looking at some kind of a manslaughter charge, and she doesn't exactly have her own foresight to thank for that.

One of my sisters has a "pitt bull" that is one of the nicest dogs one can ever meet. And will only act up if one is jumping round or running, it wants to play. It really thinks it is a lap dog. My other sister has a half-pit, half-rott who is also a wonderful dog. These dogs live in houses where there are children under 10 years...However, both of my sisters and their husbands are very good at disciplining the dogs. The former dog can be more rambunctious.
    Sounds like a promising situation for your nieces and nephews and the other kids in the neighborhood. From your lips to God's ears.

From the article:
    "He never got out before," Langston said. "I didn't know the dog was outside until I heard screaming and commotion. I don't know why he went after that little girl."

Langston said Tigger normally loves children, including Rini; her oldest daughter, Jenna, 16; and her toddler son, Robert, 2. The dog hadn't bitten anyone before, she added.

"We've never had any problems with this dog. If he was vicious, he wouldn't be in my house," Langston said.

"If he had showed any aggression, he would have been gone a long time ago."
    Langston and her daughters were tearful Sunday as they talked about the pup they say was always generous with kisses.

"He was a baby of a dog and very loving," Rini said. "I miss him."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100926/...#ixzz10ln0Go4I
    That's more complementary to the dog than your post.
    Last edited by fryar; September-27-10 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Sounds like a promising situation for your nieces and nephews and the other kids in the neighborhood. From your lips to God's ears.

That's more complementary to the dog than your post.
    Oh, I'm sorry...didn't realize you knew my family and their dogs. Guess you know better than I. Just trying to show, that some these "vicious dogs" are actually not. These dogs have been with my family for the better part of 4 years, I know them very well.

I remember a year or two ago seeing the story of a pit bull attacking and killing a young girl in California, reported by the likes of CNN and FOX. Reading later that a golden retriever [[the all-American family dog!) did the same thing in Virginia. How many news outlets reported that...1, the local paper.

Quote Originally Posted by unclefrank View Post
    But Pit Bulls are just so damn strong and tough. They were made for combat.
    Soldiers are also trained to be strong and tough and made for combat...should they not have a family?

Oh, I'm sorry...didn't realize you knew my family and their dogs. Guess you know better than I. Just trying to show, that some these "vicious dogs" are actually not. These dogs have been with my family for the better part of 4 years, I know them very well.

I remember a year or two ago seeing the story of a pit bull attacking and killing a young girl in California, reported by the likes of CNN and FOX. Reading later that a golden retriever [[the all-American family dog!) did the same thing in Virginia. How many news outlets reported that...1, the local paper.

Uh, thanks for your nice story. You know, the dog owners in my hood can't even keep the crap off the sidewalks with warning signs and trash cans all around. Why should I trust anyone to train their dogs. Heck, why should I trust an animal? You basically support his post. No we don't know your family and dogs. So why should we trust them? Tell them they can keep them fenced up on their own property.

It seems to me that the vast majority of pit bull owners seem to be the downtrodden or in the lower rungs of society.....vulnerable people. Why is this so?

Training doesn't remove the capability that a Pitbull has to maim or kill a human being. They should only be kept in a pen like at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Uh, thanks for your nice story. You know, the dog owners in my hood can't even keep the crap off the sidewalks with warning signs and trash cans all around. Why should I trust anyone to train their dogs. Heck, why should I trust an animal? You basically support his post. No we don't know your family and dogs. So why should we trust them? Tell them they can keep them fenced up on their own property.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    It seems to me that the vast majority of pit bull owners seem to be the downtrodden or in the lower rungs of society.....vulnerable people. Why is this so?
    It is only the "downtrodden" because they are the only ones that do not train and love their dogs [[not to say that this applies to everyone in this social class). You do not hear about other people owning pit bulls because they train the dog well enough, do not abuse them, and love them. Pit Bulls, just like any animal, do not "snap". If they attack, it is certain that they have given warning signs of agression prior... meaning people that ignore these warning signs end up in stories like this.

A few days ago, AnnArbor.com posted an article about a dog attack. To my surprise, no breed was mentioned. I emailed the writer and asked her reply was, "Many people are assuming it was a pit bull... it wasn't." Just goes to show you news only says what people want to hear.

Did you know out of pit bulls rescued from MIchael Vick's fighting dogs, forty-seven are still alive and many have been adopted. Several of the pit bulls have even been trained as therapy dogs.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6884669.shtml

Just keep your scary dogs away from me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    One would think that a dog should be muzzled when outside unsupervised , I think all dogs should have this imposed on them, Either that or a decent 6 foot fence surrounding them.
    My big dog [[80 pounds...a Lab, Shepherd, Husky mix) knows how to get out of his muzzle [[it's a police issue muzzle, too). He's a gentle giant except when it comes to the vet or getting his nails trimmed. I have to darn near choke him with the thing or he'll escape it. I don't think I'd want to wrestle him getting that thing on each time I let him outside [[both of my dogs go out to do their business and are right back in the house). I have to say that I can not order pizza delivery anymore because the bafoon tries to eat the delivery guy! I don't know if he just wants the pizza or the actual delivery person. He looks and sounds vicious, though.

My son had a pit mix that was a tiny thing and never agressive [[I don't think she knew she was a dog). However, when left alone, she ate an entire bottom out of a wooden door [[along with the moulding). Dog had some serious separation anxiety. When kids were around her, though, she would lay down and not move. She steered clear of the wee ones.

I still would not trust my dogs [[or any dogs) unsupervised with little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Sorry I don't live in your "hood", and I didn't grow up with a "hood" sentiment of training dogs to attack strangers. I grew up with a sentiment of loving my dogs and training them. And like a child, introduce them to other people and dogs so they how to deal with the world around them.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; September-27-10 at 08:33 PM.

Even if your dogs "love" people, they are still animals and anything is possible.

Sorry I don't live in your "hood", and I didn't grow up with a "hood" sentiment of training dogs to attack strangers. I grew up with a sentiment of loving my dogs and training them. And like a child, introduce them to other people and dogs so they how to deal with the world around them.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    My big dog [[80 pounds...a Lab, Shepherd, Husky mix) knows how to get out of his muzzle [[it's a police issue muzzle, too). He's a gentle giant except when it comes to the vet or getting his nails trimmed. I have to darn near choke him with the thing or he'll escape it. I don't think I'd want to wrestle him getting that thing on each time I let him outside [[both of my dogs go out to do their business and are right back in the house). I have to say that I can not order pizza delivery anymore because the bafoon tries to eat the delivery guy! I don't know if he just wants the pizza or the actual delivery person. He looks and sounds vicious, though.

My son had a pit mix that was a tiny thing and never agressive [[I don't think she knew she was a dog). However, when left alone, she ate an entire bottom out of a wooden door [[along with the moulding). Dog had some serious separation anxiety. When kids were around her, though, she would lay down and not move. She steered clear of the wee ones.

I still would not trust my dogs [[or any dogs) unsupervised with little kids.
    My dog can remove a muzzle too, which is why I get the muzzle that fits his snout. all muzzles aren't made equal. If they are too long or big, the muzzle can be pulled off easily. Having it attached to the collar is one extra layer of work the dog has to go through to get it off too.

He actually likes the muzzle though. I don't have to fight him to put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Even if your dogs "love" people, they are still animals and anything is possible.
    Yes, and that's the same with Golden Retrievers, Dalmatians, and all those feel good pups. I remember my cheek was nearly ripped off when i was 10 due to an English Cocker Spaniel.

And yes those dogs really do love people believe or not.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; September-27-10 at 09:59 PM.

Well wrong kind of hood. Actually there is an animal size limit so no one owns pit bulls where I live. But I've seen the little yippy dogs attack people. I should compliment you dtowncitylover that at least you've made the effort to train your dogs. See, I can tell many owners where I live do not. They don't care, they treat their animals as accessories and leave them all day in a highrise condo.

But you are still missing the point here. You can hammer us all you want how your dogs, or your relative's dogs, or your friend's dogs, or your neighbor's dogs are perfect and never act up. Sorry we can't read your mind. What I do know is animals can get excited or upset. Are they always 100% happy? I don't believe that. The friendliest dogs have pulled the leash out of their owners hand and chased after bicyclists and bit them. What is your explanation for this, besides "My ____'s dog would never do that."

I have learned from this that I should be carrying wasp spray now when I check on my buildings. I have figured out that alot of people out there really treat there dogs like their kids,Let them roam around unsupervised.

Yes, and that's the same with Golden Retrievers, Dalmatians, and all those feel good pups. I remember my cheek was nearly ripped off when i was 10 due to an English Cocker Spaniel.

And yes those dogs really do love people believe or not.
    Yes, but they are still just dogs. I love my dog dearly, but I know that he can be prone to fits of acting like a dog. That doesn't change anything regardless of breed. However, the viciousness of said attack is breed dependent.

And English Cocker Spaniels are notoriously temperamental. I had one as a kid who would wrinkle up his snout and snap at anyone. In retrospect, I hated that dang dog.

Stosh: The muzzle was special made for my dog [[fitted properly). He's just pretty clever and my other dog aids in his escape. When I am right there with him, I can stop his escaping the contraption but if left unattended, he will get out of it. Poor thing looks like Hanibal Lechter in the thing but the vet is thankful for it.

Pits can be very very sweet when given attention, socialization and training. Problem is people get them for their reputation and ignore them otherwise. I think better regulation and harsher penalites is key. Its not the dogs fault but they do pay for it. Its their power, and determination and the huge amount of damage they can do, that is what substantiates the fear. I dont think a breed ban is the answer, but how do we control and police the offender/owners.

The main problem with Pits is that ignorant, greedy humans have ruined the breed.

Here's a story where the pit bull got creamed.

The Georgia Street Community Collective has a Billy Goat. Big horns, long beard that is penned behind the community center. The goat can be viewed on the music video link in connections under GSCC.

One day last week Cub decided to check on the goat about 1:00 am. He heard dogs snarling, barking etc. He got in his truck and drove right to the pen. He used a pogo stick from the center to fend off one feral pit bull but the other one had somehow gotten into the pen with the goat to attack it. The goat was slamming it with its horns into the fench repeatly. The dog was squelling but the goat would not let Cub into the pen to rescue the dog. The first dog had run off and the second one finally franticly clawed its way half digging and slithered under the fench and ran away howling.

You go goat!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast