Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Views from atop the Guardian Building

DetNews architecture blogger Michael Hodges is justly proud of 10 images he posted after wangling rooftop access on a sunny day. As he tells Facebook friends::
    Michael has rocking pictures of downtown Detroit on his architecture blog that he took last week from the roof of our 40-story art deco masterpiece, the Guardian Building. Check them out, but keep an eye on the vertigo.
    It's true. I almost felt dizzy -- and definitely dazzled:

"But returning to the Fisher Building momentarily -- has anyone else ever wondered why, if they're going to light the roof, they light it up in a cheesy gold color? Hellooooooo -- the roof is a gorgeous green. A.B. wants to slap somebody silly and yell, "Just flood it with pure white, dimwit!". Were they to do that -- it's probably just a matter of removing colored lens gels -- the Fisher Buildiing would be as breathtaking at night as New York's Woolworth Building, whose illuminated emerald top is one of its chief glories, and one of the most beautiful sights in that crowded nighttime skyline."

Isn't the reason for the yellow color because the original roof was gold, later replaced during WWII with copper?

the original roof was gold glazed tile, hence the pr line used by WJR and the Fisher Theater, "golden hours under the golden tower". The story I've always heard was it was painted black during WW2 and when restored, the Fisher brothers economized with green glazed tile instead of gold glazing. Any one ever seen any pix of the building in the war years to verify if it was indeed 'blacked out'?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitcity View Post
    The writer is obviously a dimwit. Besides writing the article like a 12 year old would, he lacks information . . .
    Bad weekend, DetroitCity? Or just reflexively lifting your leg to drip on whatever you sniff out?

Regret you feel Mike Hodges lacks your encyclopedic familiarity with Detroit landmarks or your sophisticated way with words. Hope you got something worthwhile from the images.

That'd be more than I got from your comment.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Detroitcity on this one... if the writer/blogger calls others out on being a "dimwit"... and it turns out that he himself is wrong... then if you can't take the criticism, you have no business in dishing it out...

Yes the "golden tower of the Fisher Building" has been that buildings moniker for nearly 80 years, even after the WWII blackout, and recladding in verdigris tone tiles [[although I don't recall if they were originally copper colored reclad tiles that aged?).

Reporters/bloggers need to bother with the "messy task of verification"....
    Last edited by Gistok; May-03-09 at 04:58 PM.

ok... I feel as if I am swimming in a sea if morons right now. First of all, can we ALL realize right now, that this IS A BLOG!. Blogs do not require, nor should you expect, formal and well organized thoughts. They are meant to be something like a journal/diary. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that the top of the Fischer building is copper - now, going back to elementary school, you all should know that copper is gold, but turns green with the wear and tear of the weather! So, stop with the Green glazed tile or solid Gold roof and crap like that!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    ok... I feel as if I am swimming in a sea if morons right now. First of all, can we ALL realize right now, that this IS A BLOG!. Blogs do not require, nor should you expect, formal and well organized thoughts. They are meant to be something like a journal/diary. Secondly, I'm pretty sure that the top of the Fischer building is copper - now, going back to elementary school, you all should know that copper is gold, but turns green with the wear and tear of the weather! So, stop with the Green glazed tile or solid Gold roof and crap like that!
    Maybe you should check your facts before you go around insulting people for no reason. Just a bit of friendly advice.

Originally the tower was gilded with gold, but during World War II the gold was peeled off over concern it could be a beacon to enemy bombers. It was replaced by green terra cotta, but when the gold lights are turned on as the sun hits the horizon, the effect is the same as a golden beacon.
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=32

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    you all should know that copper is gold
    wow... just wow... we got King Midas posting on DetroitYes
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; May-03-09 at 08:39 PM.

Besides "not getting" the reason for the illumination color... the blogger isn't aware of the proper height of the structure either... the Guardian Building is "officially" 40 stories and 490 feet tall... officially that is....

To the base of the flagpole on the north tower it is approximately 515 ft. tall... quite a bit more than the 400 ft. mentioned in the blog title.... a mention of "500 ft." would likely have been more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitcity View Post
    Big deal.

" But returning to the Fisher Building momentarily -- has anyone else ever wondered why, if they're going to light the roof, they light it up in a cheesy gold color? Hellooooooo -- the roof is a gorgeous green. A.B. wants to slap somebody silly and yell, "Just flood it with pure white, dimwit!"."

The writer is obviously a dimwit. Besides writing the article like a 12 year old would, he lacks information in the subject he is writing about. I think it's common knowledge the tower used to be GOLD and the owners are trying to light the tower as if i still were.
    Clearly you did not do your fare share of the research, READ THE DAMN ARTICLE, he touched on this concept in his blog.