Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default The smoking ban - six months later

As we close in on the six month of Michigan's smoking ban, people are making a stink about repealing the law that ban smoking in restaurants and bars. According to a story in the Detroit News, http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...l-all-fired-up a group is leading a lottery boycott on Fridays to protest a law that is "killing" business in our fair state.

I support the ban, however, I do believe that Michigan should have patterned their ban based on the first state that called for a ban on smoking: California. In California, they did put some exemptions to the ban. For example, if you are a bar owner and you have nothing but family members [[i.e. mom, pops, little sis, kid) working in your establishment then you can allow smoking. Patio smoking unlike here in MI were not banned and you can setup up a room away from the bar floor where patrons can smoke. Bear in mind the room may be a very dingy smelly small room filled with smokers like I experienced years ago in Hollywood or a empty dining room at the Brass Rail in Sunnyvale [[If you know the Bay, you know what I'm talking about)

California went through the same shit we are going through. People complained about businesses losing money because they couldn't smoke just like here in Michigan but this will pass. If bars and restaurants are losing money then perhaps it is because we have a lot of unemployed people who can no longer afford the luxury of going out to eat or play Club Keno at the bar. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by R8RBOB; September-25-10 at 08:39 AM.