Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Shorpy!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    We stayed at the Milner last summer... a little dated and probably could use some upgrades but we'll be back. We ended up parking in that garage and felt quite safe leaving our car there with the 24 hour guard who patrolled in his golf cart throughout the evening. The garage is nice-looking [[for a parking garage, I suppose) and is clean and bright.
    Boy, I hope so. I park my car in the top or the scooter in the bottom every day that I'm at work. It's a nice area, the only problem in that garage is the occasional peeing fratboy. A lot of DPD officers and support staff park in that structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post

So is the Shorpy picture a view looking into Rivard Street into the distance?
    This photo, which is the one posted by Shorpy, is indeed at the corner of Rivard and Maple. I looked up the 1897 Sanborn for this corner, and this view appears to be looking southwest, with Rivard stretching off into the distance.

The former Strohs Ice Cream site on the tiny left over stub of Maple contains all that remains of the Goebel complex today.

"Pure food beer"... yum! I think I like the rooster better.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    This photo, which is the one posted by Shorpy, is indeed at the corner of Rivard and Maple. I looked up the 1897 Sanborn for this corner, and this view appears to be looking southwest, with Rivard stretching off into the distance.
    So that's towards the Detroit river?
    \

Is that normal or is this an intersection with an exceptional ammount of Man- and inspection holes??
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-11-10 at 10:55 AM.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/9257?utm_...+Photo+Blog%29

I'm guessing this is the Dequindre Cut?

detroit - windsor rail tunnel looking south

It is indeed the Detroit Windsor rail tunnel, which uses electric engines. The entrance to the tunnel is south of Michigan Central Station. In fact, the location of the tunnel is one of the main reasons for the location of the station.

Is that normal or is this an intersection with an exceptional ammount of Man- and inspection holes??
    Just east of this intersection, on Maple, is the DPL's Maple substation, and just west, across Gratiot is Detroit Thermal's Beacon Heating Station.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/9616?size=_original

Beautiful photo!

I think the pic is taken just south of Sibley [[on Woodward looking downtown, of course)

What church is that next to St. John's [[between High & Winder?)

Woodward Avenue Baptist Church. Destroyed in a fire in August 1986 and was leveled.

Here's a photo of the interior. Needless to say, it was a tragic loss:

http://tinyurl.com/28qgyz8

I read this:

Its present appearance is the product of a drastic remodeling necessitated by the widening of Woodward Avenue in 1935. Originally it was of the same general type as Central Methodist and St. John's Episcopal in that it had a gabled facade with a tall corner tower to the side of the central entrance vestibule balanced by a spiky little turret on the other side. All of this was swept away in 1935 when 46 feet were cut off the front of the church and a new facade installed. The present Woodward Avenue elevation is a rather plain composition of two simple Gothic arched doors inset within compound moulded enframements flanking a slightly projecting buttressed, gabled pavilion ornamented only by an attenuated, tripartite, Gothic window and massive pinnacles at the roof line
    All the photos I have seen are pre-1935. I know this is a stupid question to ask, but do you have or know of any of the post-1935 remodeled facade?

Another interior shot of the Woodward BC. Taken about 100 years ago.

A bit puzzled here. Were the two Woodward Baptist Churches?

Here three Woodward churches in one shot Looking North-west up Woodward. The WBC is almost hidden behind St John Episcopical.

Was the location if the WBC just north of present day John C Lodge freeway?
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-30-10 at 10:13 PM.

WABC was on Woodward, east side, just north of I-375...the building was altered during the widening of Woodward, loosing the tower and part of the nave. Surprisingly the interior, even after the remodeling was airy and bright and looked "intact"...it had a great hammer beam ceiling, similar to Fort Street Church. The wooden roof went up in a blaze of glory, if you will after a fire was set by vandals/squatters in the abandoned building but I remember the slender cast iron columns holding up the charred beams the day after the fire before demolition of the remains.

A bit puzzled here. Were the two Woodward Baptist Churches?
    It looks like it was this church house built on the north side of the church.
    Proposed Church House - Woodward Ave. Baptist Church, 1912

So that's towards the Detroit river?
    \

Manholes served various utilities other than sewers.

MichCon and the water board maintained manholes/vaults for underground regulator systems & valves.

Not to forget about the steam system manholes.

Today's posting on Shorpy shows a winter view of Woodward at Alfred/Sibley [[approx) looking south showing streetcars, a moon tower and the steeple of Woodward Ave Bapist Church. Identified at 1910, but I think it might be a few yeats earlier.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/9616?utm_...+Photo+Blog%29

^^Oddly enough, Detroit is actually a functioning city in that photograph inspite of that snowstorm and antiquated technology.

Default This is the barge Detroit!!!

[QUOTE=Whitehouse;188012]Certainly looks like it. And I presume it's very close to where the Bob-Lo St. Claire is docked.Could be that on the left there's a new rail barge on the blocks. Nowadays barges go there to die.

This is the barge Detroit, formerly the train ferry Detroit that finally was sunk at the north bay at the Nicholson Terminal, near to the place of this photo.

I posted 3 more pictures in other posts.

Regards,

OLIVERIO
    oliverio1@gmail.com

Here's the inside of the Edelweiss...

https://www.loc.gov/resource/det.4a21158/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3