Bing: All must share the pain
Detroit mayor discusses city pay cuts, his tenure

Excerpts:

"Everybody's going to have to participate in the pain," Bing said. "It's unfortunate where we are, but we're going to have to impose the contract, move on and participate in this pain together."
His tenure: Bing said his term has been challenging since he was elected in May 2009. But he pointed to progress on substantial issues, including trimming a $330 million deficit to about $85 million.

Bing said the city's financial crisis dominated his first eight months. If he didn't shore up finances, "we could have gone bankrupt or had payless paydays," Bing said.

"I happen to be in this position at one of the most important times in history of the city because of the changes that are necessary to bring us from where we are to where we need to be," Bing said.

Bing said he hasn't begun to think about re-election -- in 2013 -- or his legacy.

"I don't care about a legacy, quite frankly," Bing said. "[[People) may not like the decisions I have to make. They may not like what I say or the way I run the city. I didn't come into this office as a politician, [[and) I won't go out as a politician."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100922/...#ixzz10IlmWoJK
DetroitDad; City job cuts and service cuts are also discussed. I am wondering why no one has attempted to negotiate for a clause that ties city workers and services directly to population and industry.