Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

LOL my apologies on the bandwidth theft. Here's a link to a picture:

http://www.edupic.net/Images/Insects...ia_moth071.JPG

Slim - I had a duckling once, too - they do become very attached, and then can't really protect themselves if they get too tame. I kept mine till it got big enough to want to take off, took it to where there were others of the same variety, and let it go. It continued to come back on its way through town for years - just stopping long enough with a mate for us to say "hello" and to know "Bubbles" was ok and hadn't forgotten. Might want to ask the folks at Belle Isle nature zoo for suggestions.

I had an accidental pet goose for three or four years. the thing just landed in our pond and stayed, never went further. it would hang out on the patio with the family, chase our dog, etc

ccbatson Guest

Wild animals as pets is a bad idea. I know someone [[unofficially) with a "frequent deer as a visitor"....bizarre.

For some odd reason my girlfriend gets all excited when she sees groundhogs on the side of the road over by the cemetery on little mack and masonic. Last spring when she saw them for the first time that year, she got all excited, let out a noise as I was driving, and made it sound like I was about to hit something. Low and behold, there was nothing anywhere near the road, just "cute" little ground hogs over by the fence.

A few years back, my dad got sick of the squirrels digging up his flower garden that he spent hours a day maintaining. Soooo he went out to ACO, bought a live trap, and proceeded to catch over 70 squirrels that summer [[released them in various wooded areas a few miles away). despite the effort, there are still a ton of squirrels in his backyard.

While working at ACO Hardware as a teenager, some guy called looking for info on how to get rid of the moles that were digging up his yard. I took the phone call, and described the various traps, poisons, and gas smoke bombs that he could use. The guy kind of creeped me out when he kept mentioning he wanted these moles to pay, and wanted the trap that would do the most damage. They supposedly just had to die a painful death. I recommended the spear trap, and quickly got off the phone with the dude.

As far as wildlife in my own hood, I live on a golf course with a large pond. The geese, ducks, sea gulls, and a couple gray herons have been keeping the fish pretty busy for about a month now. Oh and the stray cat is still alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    While working at ACO Hardware as a teenager, some guy called looking for info on how to get rid of the moles that were digging up his yard. I took the phone call, and described the various traps, poisons, and gas smoke bombs that he could use. The guy kind of creeped me out when he kept mentioning he wanted these moles to pay, and wanted the trap that would do the most damage. They supposedly just had to die a painful death. I recommended the spear trap, and quickly got off the phone with the dude..
    That guy sounds lilke a candidate for future serial killer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    For some odd reason my girlfriend gets all excited when she sees groundhogs on the side of the road over by the cemetery on little mack and masonic. Last spring when she saw them for the first time that year, she got all excited, let out a noise as I was driving, and made it sound like I was about to hit something. Low and behold, there was nothing anywhere near the road, just "cute" little ground hogs over by the fence. .
    It amazes me how many live groundhogs I see on the side of the road, but rarely [[if ever) do I see one as roadkill

A few animals from my back yard.

Eagles

Swans

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    My wife and I are now caring for an abandoned duckling she found this morning. Very cute and already very affectionate. Not afraid of us at all. Any duckling-raising tips are appreciated!
    I assume you have a wood duck or mallard, but I don't know for sure. Please keep the bird warm. It should feel warm to the touch, not cool or room temperature. Please do not feed the duckling. Offering it water in a very shallow dish is OK. If it is a a baby wood duck, it will try to jump out of whatever box or container you have it in.

Please contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator to care for the duckling. A bird raised by itself has a likelihood of becoming tame, in which case it could not be released back into the wild. It is not lawful to harbor a wild animal without state and federal permits, even if it is to raise an orphan.

I do not know what city you live in, so I cannot give you the name of a local rehabber. If you call your local police or fire departments, animal control, or a local veterinarian, they would be able to point you to a rehabilitator. From there, the duckling would be raised with others and hopefully be able to be released in the fall.

[[I cannot take the duckling because I have no other ducklings at this time.)

Good luck, and please act fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    A few animals from my back yard.
    Eagles
    Swans
    I'm guessing you don't live in Detroit, unless you live on Belle Isle

Quote Originally Posted by DocTerry View Post
    Slim - I had a duckling once, too - they do become very attached, and then can't really protect themselves if they get too tame. I kept mine till it got big enough to want to take off, took it to where there were others of the same variety, and let it go. It continued to come back on its way through town for years - just stopping long enough with a mate for us to say "hello" and to know "Bubbles" was ok and hadn't forgotten. Might want to ask the folks at Belle Isle nature zoo for suggestions.
    Imprinting is a serious concern when raising orphaned wildlife. The baby is not attached or affectionate, but mistakenly thinks the human is a parent that will provide food and shelter.

The best scenario is for a wild baby to be raised by its parents. Second best is to be raised alongside other babies of the same age and species.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I'm guessing you don't live in Detroit, unless you live on Belle Isle
    Not at the moment. I did until Thanksgiving. Up until then I was a contract engineer at Chysler. I was laid off and no longer needed the place in Detroit. I moved back to the house I own in Monroe county. It is right on Lake Erie not far from the Fermi nuclear power plant.

ccbatson Guest

It is best not to mess with wild animals...domesticated only for pets.

What is the most annoying is to see these people getting mauled by wild predators that they thought they could "keep"...everyone loses.

Actually thats good advise, people seem to think squirrels are cute and fuzzy but they have been known to pack a painful bite.

And I had a friend who's overly hard working and prosperous [[yet negligent relative to time spent with their kids) parents bought her a pet. A pet cougar. Didn't last too long after the neighbors found out. But what the hell were they thinking?

ccbatson Guest

No, ducks don't maul people...but people torture ducks by keeping them as pets.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    No, ducks don't maul people...but people torture ducks by keeping them as pets.
    actually, my cousin was attacked at my grandmother's funeral by dozens of mallards -- and he was doing nothing by walking to his car. he got about a dozen stiches

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    actually, my cousin was attacked at my grandmother's funeral by dozens of mallards -- and he was doing nothing by walking to his car. he got about a dozen stiches
    Male geese and swans have been known to attack, also. If you get close to their mates or nests they'll go for you. Could be what happened to your cousin if the ducks were nesting there.

That's funny -- I was also bitten by an ostrich.

My cousin was not bitten, he was attacked -- they flew at him and a couple of them hit his head with their bills.

Waterfowl do not have teeth and cannot bite. However, they can nip hard and they can club with their wings.

In my work as a rehabber I have been clubbed many times in the rescue of ducks, geese, and swans. A small child should never be too near waterfowl, even a mallard. Both male and female waterfowl can be aggressive and should be treated with caution.

Please see attached photo of a mallard that got himself stuck in a grille. One of our many adventures in wildlife rehabilitation.

ccbatson Guest

Livestock? Yes...Pets? Should not be. Natural selection is not a matter of humane, or inhumane treatment. Being a devil's advocate, PETA pushes for zero human intervention with animal life. How is that reconcilable for self proclaimed "humane" liberals?

Livestock? Yes...Pets? Should not be. Natural selection is not a matter of humane, or inhumane treatment. Being a devil's advocate, PETA pushes for zero human intervention with animal life. How is that reconcilable for self proclaimed "humane" liberals?
    how is it not?

PETA, for the most part, are a bunch of loony folks. They give the movement a bad name.

There is a reason humans have incisors in their mouth, its for eating meat. If somebody wants to be a vegetarian, go for it. Just don't try forcing your views onto me.

A fawn was struck just ahead of me on I-75 in Tennessee today ... smashed windshield, smashed hood. I hope the humans survived. The deer didn't.

Drive carefully.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-11-09 at 08:17 PM.

ccbatson Guest

I concur with PETA being a radical liberal organization....one of your finest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast