Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Taxpayer7 View Post
    Hello Detroityes board. If you recall a few months ago, I posted a thread asking for help for someone renting who did not know the home was in foreclosure and later was told she had to move. Given ample time to move, I was very surprised that on her move day, the entire kitchen was being stripped by what appeared to be a friend of the family, who owns a home improvement company [[the van had visited there before and there were signs on the van); she apparently sold the "newly remodeled kitchen" to these guys. They were in and out in about an hour. My neighbor called the DPD; they arrived about 4 hours later. Upon arrival, we were told unless they were able to catch folks in the act of stripping a home, there's nothing they can do [[hardly likely they would have caught these guys arriving 4 hours after the initial call). My neighbors and I are very concerned about the viability of our neighborhood. There doesn't appear to be any recourse to stop the stripping; particularly when someone legitimately has a key to enter the property...even if it's for a short duration while they complete their move. We live in what most perceive as a very nice working class area in Detroit and it's very painful to see people stripping the homes and inherently depreciating the neighborhoods value. My one neighbor, who has invested a lot in her property; as well as I; was so upset, she said for the first time since Detroit's decline, she seriously contemplated moving; not necessarily to the suburbs because they have the same problem; but perhaps to a condo, or maybe even another state. We are desparate for a resolution and would appreciate any guidance or feedback Detroityes may have. This is a problem that is only getting worse with time; and residents are desperate to take action and stop the pillaging of the homes in our great neighborhoods. Again, the emphasis in this thread is related to legitimate renters moving out who still possess a key and can return day after day and sell off the home's assets to any willing buyer; until the bank/owner repossesses the key or pad locks the premises. This is so very, very discouraging.
    I would hope the owner of the house has insurance on the dwelling; even if the theft isn't covered the damage that flows from it would be. He / she could possible collect MORE then the value of the house if the claim is handled correctly.

Sickening as it sounds the owner and 'stripping' renter could be working together, splitting the profits of the stripping and a portion of insurance recovery. It's all so ugly. I recall hearing of situations back in the sub-prime 'store front' scam heyday of so-called mortgage writers splitting their commissions with the owner of property who never had any intentions of keeping the house. It is sad to see Detroit literally gutted in regards to its home and retail property. Even some of the better properties and areas are starting to go down........
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I would hope the owner of the house has insurance on the dwelling; even if the theft isn't covered the damage that flows from it would be. He / she could possible collect MORE then the value of the house if the claim is handled correctly.

If the house in in foreclosure Id doubt there is any insurance , or conspiracy and profit splitting. Just every person for themselves, real crime is kitchen was gone in an hour. You know those same contractors will take weeks installing it...... poot

House rental theft in Detroit is very common these days. People taking any resources for money or scamming insurance companies. It's hard to catch them in the act.

Yeah, that's a point. Indeed it's a free-for-all... and these strippers work fast. Like piranhas upon cow that fell into their waters. Nothing left but bone... when they are done.
    Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    If the house in in foreclosure Id doubt there is any insurance , or conspiracy and profit splitting. Just every person for themselves, real crime is kitchen was gone in an hour. You know those same contractors will take weeks installing it...... poot