Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I think many urbanophiles have a distorted and stereotypical view of life outside the city. To me that's a sign they haven't invested the time in getting to know others [[outsiders, suburbanites) very well.

I think that is a pretty large assumption. I have spent a significant amount of time in the suburbs. I have friends and family all over metro detroit [[throughout wayne, oakland and macomb counties with a few friends in Washtenaw and Livingston - no Gennesse or St. Clair people though).

In their neighborhoods, social groups, etc I just don't see this wonderful melting pot that you are talking about. Maybe your neighborhood is the exception - I can assure you it's not the rule.

It's funny how you take your personal experience as fact yet dismiss the experiences of urbanophiles as being dismissive, naive or stupid. So if you don't mind me asking, where is this wonderful cornucopia of diversity of yours because I certainly have never come across it in my years in many, many cities in this region.

The "off the boat" immigrants tend to stay within their groups but other than that there's a lot of interaction.
    My comments about the specific communities certainly was not about just "off the boat" immigrants. Most are 2nd or 3rd generation.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    There used to be a significant Korean community on west 8 mile and 7 mile in Detroit, but it appears they have moved out/been ethnically cleansed.
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Wait, what?
    You didn't hear about the Detroit genocide?

Wait, what?
    Ethnic cleansing doesn't have to mean genocide, it can mean being driven out by fears of some level of violence.

Buzz off, flea.
    You just stay focused on shoring up your flawed logic...

Bearinabox Guest

Ethnic cleansing doesn't have to mean genocide, it can mean being driven out by fears of some level of violence.
    Just to be clear: you're alleging that the City of Detroit sent goons with baseball bats to every Korean-occupied home in Northwest Detroit and commanded the residents to leave, with the specific purpose of making the area ethnically homogeneous? Or was it the state or the feds? Maybe the Wayne County Sheriff? I think I'm going to need a source on this one.

lilpup Guest

I'm sure the 2010 census will show quite a change in that with blacks moving out of the city, too.

I would like to see more direct foreign trade taking place within the confines of the city of Detroit. Business owners from different countries can help provide job training and entrepreneurship training for city residents. Aggressive business outreach should be done with international-based companies [[Africa, China, Middle East, South America) to invest in the city, bring their people to reside here and engage in commerce here. Tax incentives may help in this. Detroit desperately needs to attract alternative industries to the core city to provide 21st century jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    It's sad when it is a surprise to see white and black kids hanging out or Chaldean and Italian kids hanging out or Middle Eastern and black kids hanging out.
    -kids have it right. Then they grow up to be boring, bigoted, paranoid xenophobic adults... ahh the cycle of life...

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    -kids have it right. Then they grow up to be boring, bigoted, paranoid xenophobic adults... ahh the cycle of life...
    Agreed 100%.

Bearinabox Guest

Honestly, I don't think that's true. I've read that the instinctive reaction of young kids is to fear and dislike people who look strange to them, and that will only be reinforced if the adults around them go out of their way not to acknowledge the difference. If you want them to embrace diversity, you have to actively explain it to them, not leave them to figure it out for themselves.

Honestly, I don't think that's true. I've read that the instinctive reaction of young kids is to fear and dislike people who look strange to them, and that will only be reinforced if the adults around them go out of their way not to acknowledge the difference. If you want them to embrace diversity, you have to actively explain it to them, not leave them to figure it out for themselves.
    That could be right but the kids I know are willing to be friends/play with any other kids regardless of color, ethnicity, etc. If sociologists have studies to support it isn't true I will certainly defer to their expertise.

Bearinabox Guest

That could be right but the kids I know are willing to be friends/play with any other kids regardless of color, ethnicity, etc. If sociologists have studies to support it isn't true I will certainly defer to their expertise.
    I'm trying to figure out where I read that; I think it was here, but I wish I had a better source. I'm sure it depends on the kid to some extent, but it certainly rings true for me based on what I remember of my thoughts and perceptions as a young child.

It'd be very interesting to see this map in a time lapse, starting from 1900 to 2010. It would probably be possible from census records, but I have no expertise in this field.

It's pretty clear what many mean when they say 'nobody lives there anymore'.
    I really hate when people say that, but I'm also glad when they do. It reveals so much about their view of who is "somebody"... in other words, who counts as human, and who does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeme View Post
    It'd be very interesting to see this map in a time lapse, starting from 1900 to 2010. It would probably be possible from census records, but I have no expertise in this field.
    Actually, Kurt Metzger of Data Driven Detroit has exactly this information.

Stosh Guest

Absolutely correct. Except substitute actual violence for the fears.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Absolutely correct. Except substitute actual violence for the fears.
    ...and that's still not ethnic cleansing.

Stosh Guest

...and that's still not ethnic cleansing.
    In a way it is, but who the fuck cares now. It's too late to fix it.

I really hope that one day society as a whole will get beyond the entire issue of race. It seems so childish to me and backward to even care about it. In the end we all have to live here so we might as well live together in peace.
    Blackmath,
    I feel the same way. Sometimes just reading some of the stuff on this forum makes me feel helpless and hopeless.

Maps and Legends:
    [[with respect to R.E.M.)

He's not to be reached, he's to be reached.

Called the fool and the company,
    On his own where he'd rather be.
    Where he ought to be, he sees what you can't see, can't you see that?

Maybe he's caught in the legend,
    Maybe he's caught in the mood.
    Maybe these maps and legends
    Have been misunderstood.

Down the way the road's divided,
    Paint me the places you have seen.
    Those who know what I don't know
    Refer to the yellow, red and green

Have been misunderstood.

The map that you painted didn't seem real.
    He just sings whatever he's seen
    Point to the legend, point to the east,
    Point to the yellow, red and green

Have been misunderstood, been misunderstood. [[Maps and legends)

[[Maps and legends) Is he to be reached? He's not to be reached.
    [[Maps and legends) Is he to be reached? He's not to be reached.
    [[Maps and legends) Is he to be reached? He's not to be reached anymore.

Almost looks like a politcal map with the republican and demodcratic voters.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    I love this map. Although there are some anomalies when you blow it up, such as 4 people living on belle isle, and a dozen or so living in the detroit-windsor tunnel
    Yea, I'm sure thier are way more than 4 people living on Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    In a way it is, but who the fuck cares now.
    Because calling that "ethnic cleansing" is so fucking stupid, not to mention offensive to a lot of people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast