Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I love this map. Although there are some anomalies when you blow it up, such as 4 people living on belle isle, and a dozen or so living in the detroit-windsor tunnel

"Division Street" by Studs Terkel was an interesting read about Chicago in the seventies. No doubt its message holds up these many years past.

Besides race, you can also see how densely populated Detroit is versus some other cities...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Besides race, you can also see how densely populated Detroit is versus some other cities...
    It's pretty clear what many mean when they say 'nobody lives there anymore'.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    It's pretty clear what many mean when they say 'nobody lives there anymore'.
    I really hate when people say that, but I'm also glad when they do. It reveals so much about their view of who is "somebody"... in other words, who counts as human, and who does not.

the City of Detroit seems to lack diversity. Oakland County is far more diverse than Detroit.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    the City of Detroit seems to lack diversity. Oakland County is far more diverse than Detroit.
    Not sure how you figure that, other than Southfield and Oak Park. Pontiac isn't really diverse since it is entirely segregated.

It would be useful if somebody talented could superimpose a map with municipal boundaries on here.

Detroit is probably on par with Oakland County in that its borders on the Detroit side are fuzzier. Southwest Detroit is obviously very diverse, Warrendale is mixed, and the eastside borders around Balduck and the westside around Five Points is mixed, along with Palmer Woods and what appears to be Rosedale or Brightmoor?

The only truly diverse and integrated community on this map is Hamtramck.

There is some green on the eastside of Detroit. I'm curious about that. I know there has been a Hmong community that is still there and am wondering if that is them. Any insights?

This reminds me of how one certain poster on here was screaming about how a certain Macomb County suburb of his was "diverse". Sorry, we are entirely segregated in this entire region.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    There is some green on the eastside of Detroit. I'm curious about that. I know there has been a Hmong community that is still there and am wondering if that is them. Any insights?
    Yes, a lot of Hmongs live there. The Vietnamese have moved out to Macomb County, Chinese and Indians to Troy.

There used to be a significant Korean community on west 8 mile and 7 mile in Detroit, but it appears they have moved out/been ethnically cleansed.

Bearinabox Guest

There used to be a significant Korean community on west 8 mile and 7 mile in Detroit, but it appears they have moved out/been ethnically cleansed.
    Wait, what?

Yes, a lot of Hmongs live there. The Vietnamese have moved out to Macomb County, Chinese and Indians to Troy.

Hmmmm...pretty much like the many "Sun down" towns that had heavily black piopulations that once dotted Michigan and towns all across the country all of a sudden became all white overnight eh?

Yeah I can see the similarities...

http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/con...-whitemap.html

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ess=103x335789

http://www.nathanielturner.com/sundowntowns.htm

http://ecarson.wordpress.com/2008/10...ndown-towns-3/
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; September-23-10 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added facts

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Not sure how you figure that, other than Southfield and Oak Park. Pontiac isn't really diverse since it is entirely segregated.

It would be useful if somebody talented could superimpose a map with municipal boundaries on here.

Detroit is probably on par with Oakland County in that its borders on the Detroit side are fuzzier. Southwest Detroit is obviously very diverse, Warrendale is mixed, and the eastside borders around Balduck and the westside around Five Points is mixed, along with Palmer Woods and what appears to be Rosedale or Brightmoor?

The only truly diverse and integrated community on this map is Hamtramck.

This reminds me of how one certain poster on here was screaming about how a certain Macomb County suburb of his was "diverse". Sorry, we are entirely segregated in this entire region.
    It appears you aren't that familiar with many of Oakland County's suburbs. Or you view diversity as equaling Black people. Taking a more broad view of diversity, incorporating other racial groups [[Asians, Hispanics), ethnic groups, nationalities and religions you'd find places like Troy, Madison Heights, West Bloomfield, Farmington and Canton are more diverse in measures other than Black/White than Detroit. In fact, Detroit is largely Black, Christian, and US-born.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    It appears you aren't that familiar with many of Oakland County's suburbs. Or you view diversity as equaling Black people. Taking a more broad view of diversity, incorporating other racial groups [[Asians, Hispanics), ethnic groups, nationalities and religions you'd find places like Troy, Madison Heights, West Bloomfield, Farmington and Canton are more diverse in measures other than Black/White than Detroit. In fact, Detroit is largely Black, Christian, and US-born.
    Per Semcog 2000 numbers
    City - % Minority [[not majority of city)

Detroit: 18.8%
    Troy: 18.7%
    Madison Heights: 15.2%
    Farmington: 15.2%
    Canton: 17.7%

Granted these are numbers from the 2000 census but when you state certainties you should really suplly facts to back it up.

I think the more important thing is to consider that even in 2000 [[which according to the census Detroit was more diverse than any of the communities you list) we had a region pointing out how diverse Troy and Canton are but insisting that only black people live in Detroit.

I guess diversity means different things to different people but it seems like seeing a black person in Canton means diversity but seeing a white person, or hispanic person in Detroit does not.

Feel free to refute the numbers above but supply some actual facts, not just what you 'know'.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    I love this map. Although there are some anomalies when you blow it up, such as 4 people living on belle isle, and a dozen or so living in the detroit-windsor tunnel
    Each dot represents 25 people. I'm guessing Belle Isle and the tunnel were included within a census tract and then the dots representing population were spread evenly over the census tract area. It's not an accurate portrayal of the city's population distribution.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walking...7624812674967/

Yeah this is rather clear cut why we dont need Light Raill....

look at how so much more dense, Atlanta is than we are....

*sarcasm**
    Last edited by Detroit Stylin; September-21-10 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Each dot represents 25 people. I'm guessing Belle Isle and the tunnel were included within a census tract and then the dots representing population were spread evenly over the census tract area. It's not an accurate portrayal of the city's population distribution.
    Curious. Almost defeats the propose of mapping it. I wonder how large the tracts are.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    Yea, I'm sure thier are way more than 4 people living on Belle Isle.