Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
I doubt "remove and preserve tiles" was in the contractors contract, meaning I doubt it was a concern to whomever was in charge of the project. I think its sad they are gone but think the workers did what was requested. Im curious what the thoughts would be If they had been able to save them but had not been requested to. Are they then preservationists or scrappers? Say they saved them and did reinstall them anyway, should they bill? will someone pay? Are they obligated to save them at a loss to them?

I think best scenario would HAVE BEEN to present an opportunity to some preservation groups about the plan and a timeframe for private groups to fund and execute the removal of tiles if it was deemed that was desired , possible and funded.
I would like to say it's impossible to second-guess what these guys were thinking or doing. As I said, probably not a bad bunch of guys, and, in light of the additional information posted here, they may have had no choice under the contract. But it's -- again, as it so often is here in Detroit -- a vision thing. The PTB probably don't give a hoot. History, shmistory. How else to explain their permission for Penske to have his concrete pad [[now useless) cut into the landscaping for the fountain?