Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Today, many people go into public service in order to get rich. It was not always so, and we must change it so that it is that way no longer.

Those who want to earn six figure salaries ought to put in the work and go into business, law, or medicine. I never expected to earn 6 figures, and still don't. But I love working in education and would do nothing else... so I drive a cheap compact car, take in housemates, don't wear expensive clothing or shoes, and just can't go on vacation every year. However, I know people in my field who have a different mentality -- hence, folks charging granite countertops on DPS credit cards.

Why can't our public servants -- whether it be in education, government, or nonprofits -- honestly choose a live of public service? Why can't they go into the private sector if they want to indulge in conspicuous consumption? I don't get it and perhaps never will.
    Because many of them would never be successful in private industry. Many are not that bright and they lack the kind of skills, knowledge and work ethic that you need to earn $100K+ by adding some multiple of that in value to a business. They look at government jobs as a combination of a government program, union job and hitting the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Maybe we need city council candidates to post their credit scores if they are going
    to be messing with our money.
    This is the best idea I have heard in a long time. If you want a job in private industry which involves handling money your employer usually does a credit check before hiring.

The same standard should apply to Detroit Common Council

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    After eight years she owes more than she purchased the house for. That's not normal. Unless she refinanced, she should have had some kind of equity established.
    Agreed.

I think our public officials should be held to a higher standard. Her walking away from this mortgage is unconscionable.

interesting info. I have come to respect Kwame Kenyatta, at least much more then the other members over the years. I didnt know he foreclosed, that sure is dissapointing, especially with the pay he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Maybe we need city council candidates to post their credit scores if they are going
    to be messing with our money.
    I don't want to defend some of those politicos.
    Posting credit scores sounds like a great idea, but....

3-4 years ago, I was almost hired by a large company, the deal-breaker was my credit score. My explanation meant nothing to the interviewer- " If I were dishonest, perhaps I would have stolen money to pay my outstanding bills, bad credit for me means just bad credit, not bad character"

I hope the interview 'committee' and all in that company who hired based on credit lost their jobs. Irony, sweet irony. The company that scorned me for bad credit has since filed bankruptcy and squeezed U.S. A. for billions. [[A.I.G.)

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    interesting info. I have come to respect Kwame Kenyatta, at least much more then the other members over the years. I didnt know he foreclosed, that sure is dissapointing, especially with the pay he gets.
    It is a little bit different for Kenyatta. He and his wife kept up with their payments. The problem they ran into was that their ARM was going from 6% to 11%, which was going to make their new note ridiculously large. And since they had a good payment history, they were told there were not any programs available to them. Putting them in a position were they would have to walk away.

With Pugh and Jenkins, it's just a history of not making the payments and bad money management. Pugh didn't even keep up with rent on an apartment. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    It is a little bit different for Kenyatta. He and his wife kept up with their payments. The problem they ran into was that their ARM was going from 6% to 11%, which was going to make their new note ridiculously large. And since they had a good payment history, they were told there were not any programs available to them. Putting them in a position were they would have to walk away.

With Pugh and Jenkins, it's just a history of not making the payments and bad money management. Pugh didn't even keep up with rent on an apartment. Pathetic.
    I question Kenyatta's version of the story. How does an adjustable rate mortgage jump a full 5% when the indexes [[LIBOR, etc.) the interest rates was based upon were at record lows? Looks more like strategic default to me.

I understand that there are many problems with city government. And I also agree that the Police, Fire and E-911 are understaffed....

But blaming city council for all the houses that burned down on that high wind day earlier this week... would be like blaming Arnold Schwarzenegger for all the homes lost to fire every year in California for the destruction caused by the Santa Ana Winds....

If they couldn't save that lightning struck mansion in Oakland County on that windy yesterday [[with all their resources)... I doubt that the Detroit Fire Fighters had much of a chance to stop the spreading of the fire earlier in the week... no matter how many fire crews they had. After all much of Detroit has [[or should I say "had") houses built so close together... you can't even drive a car between them.

Once in a while mother nature gets in the way.... not city council!!
    Last edited by Gistok; September-17-10 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I understand that there are many problems with city government. And I also agree that the Police, Fire and E-911 are understaffed....

But blaming city council for all the houses that burned down on that high wind day earlier this week... would be like blaming Arnold Schwarzenegger for all the homes lost to fire every year in California for the destruction caused by the Santa Ana Winds....
    Surely, that is not what you got out of what I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Surely, that is not what you got out of what I posted.
    No, I just ran out of time to post.... and I realized that arguing with you is not worth the time... your mind is already made up...

Buy American Guest

This thread was inspired by the Paper Chase: 3rd Detroit council member faces foreclosure article at Detroitnews.com.

How can we allocate money for police, firefighters, EMS, 911 operators, and the equipment all of those professionals need if the people that contrrol the money can't count? First it was Kwame Kenyatta and his wife walking away from their mortgage, then Charles Pugh who became City Council President having issues with his mortgage, now Saunteel Jenkins having issues with her mortgage. And please, let's not forget the tax cheat Joann Watson.

These are the people we look to for oversight of Detroit's budget, people that can't even oversee their own budget. In the aftermath of 84 houses burning down in a city that's already ravaged with urban blight, abandoned and stripped homes, and enough desolate area to fit the entire city of Boston in, we have people that can't budget to see us through this crisis. Part of the problem with that fire was not enough resources/equipment to battle the unprecendented blaze.

How can we fix these issues if the leadership is no more knowledgable/accountable than the people they are leading? Every generation of City Council is as corrupt/incompetent as their predecessors. Someday, somehow I hope real talent actually decides to run for office in this city.

I'm starting to sound like Buyamerican, which I don't like to, but the bad news just pours into this city.
    Hey Crumbled, I was posting this back in October, 2009. No one paid any attention to what anyone said about Puke and now, instead of just one incompetent idiot, Detroit has three....that we know of anyway. Sounding or thinking like me isn't that bad after all...is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Hey Crumbled, I was posting this back in October, 2009. No one paid any attention to what anyone said about Puke and now, instead of just one incompetent idiot, Detroit has three....that we know of anyway. Sounding or thinking like me isn't that bad after all...is it?
    A) Many people listened. There is more to play in people getting elected than can be posted on a mere forum. For one thing, most of the people who ran for council [[and mayor as well) were just inferior candidates. Look, I can seat you at a table with a Big Mac, a Whopper, a Wendy's Cheeseburger, and some KFC and then sit back and complain that no matter which item you picked you're not eating healthy.
    B) Some of what you say is on point and very relevant. However, some of the things you say, well, I'll just leave it at "I disagree with"

How does an adjustable rate mortgage jump a full 5% when the indexes [[LIBOR, etc.) the interest rates was based upon were at record lows? Looks more like strategic default to me.
    I have no idea of the specifics of this loan, but there were all kinds of dangerous loans being made. A normal adjustable-rate loan would not behave this way, but there were lots of loans being made that had low up-front rates and much higher rates after 2-5 years, not because rates changed but because that is how the loans were structured.

No doubt some people took these loans without understanding what they were getting into. Other people took these loans thinking they could refinance or sell, but when prices dropped, they couldn't and were stuck with the increased payments.

Buy American Guest

A) Many people listened. There is more to play in people getting elected than can be posted on a mere forum. For one thing, most of the people who ran for council [[and mayor as well) were just inferior candidates. Look, I can seat you at a table with a Big Mac, a Whopper, a Wendy's Cheeseburger, and some KFC and then sit back and complain that no matter which item you picked you're not eating healthy.
    B) Some of what you say is on point and very relevant. However, some of the things you say, well, I'll just leave it at "I disagree with"
    Fair enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2