Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I guess I dont understand the fuss in general - clearly in this case it is ridiculous, but I have never had a problem with enforcement downtown, in fact I dont see them around that often.

Sure, my car is in a parking garage at home and at work downtown, but I do street park downtown fairly regularly and have never had my car broken into, nor have I received a ticket - of course, I am one that actually puts $ in the meter, and dont park in areas that arent clearly marked as ok to park in.

It is a pain to get a ticket - I got plenty at MSU - but most of the time they are just doing their job, and most of the time the parkers are in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    I guess I dont understand the fuss in general - ... I do street park downtown fairly regularly and have never had my car broken into, nor have I received a ticket - of course, I am one that actually puts $ in the meter, and dont park in areas that arent clearly marked as ok to park in...
    Just like you spirit I've been parking downtown for years on the street without a ticket or incident. If we put a sign in every place a person cannot park, you wouldn't be able to see the city. It's simple-park in an alley, you're going to get a ticket. Block traffic, if only to just run into the store, you're going to get a ticket.

I have a friend who parked by the police station in Greektown right under a sign reading "no parking except for police vehicles." He was fuming mad when we returned to a ticket on his window. His reasoning "Well it was after 9." [[there was no mention of time on the sign)

Detroiter's "do what I want" and suburbanite's "oh it's Detroit nobody will mind" attitudes create a goldmine for parking tickets. I didn't know it had been privatized. that's spooky. I know in Hamville tickets are tied into the ticketing officers pension/retirement-perhaps Detroit had a similar arrangement and saw the need to cut those potential future costs out of the budget.