Quote Originally Posted by goggomobil View Post
I think part of what I hear Lincoln saying is that Detroit has been headed toward being irrelevant to the future of the suburbs for a long time. The subject of revenue sharing coming up confirms to those who would be on the check-writing side of 'sharing' that Detroit is sliding further towards being a long term liability rather than an asset waiting to rise and shine.

As far as the suburbs losing people to out-of-region migration, this happened somewhat in the early 80s. It wasn't as pronounced due the swell of Baby Boomers starting to have kids. People eventually came back [[and then some) but not to Detroit.
If a functioning center city is irrelevant to the prosperity of the suburbs, why have all metros that have seen net gains in the last 10 years had functioning city centers? You can't have a functioning region with a shithole as its center. If our political leaders here are determined to try it and see what happens, I predict failure. The alternative is to invest money in our city center. But, then again, maybe you don't like your children much and would rather they move to Chicago. Your call.