Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yeah, uh-er I guess until they un-mount, remove the cameras for a fast 'craigslist' sale...... !
    Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Or you could make it blatantly obvious that you have cameras. Little blinky lights on the cameras, big lights with motion sensors lighting up the garage door for quality recordings. Might dissuade someone f_cking with you, if that's the deal here.

Might [[?) also dissuade crimes of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, uh-er I guess until they un-mount, remove the cameras for a fast 'craigslist' sale...... !
    Craiglist? Try the corner market. People are growing so desperate until they're taking things they wouldn't have bothered with 15/20 years ago.

How about an infrared flash deer cam or a video cam hooked up to your computer if they could be hidden? Maybe some sound effects or lights when doors are tampered with? You could pass around the photos of a license or individuals. That way if the clowns get busted for something else, they could be busted for two things.

Sorry to hear about your problem Southsider, Yet I am glad this thread came about, More ideas in garage security for me.Hope you catch whomever keeps busting into your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Buy American, let me just say that if you lived next door to me I would personally break into your garage as many times as it took to make you leave. Then I would buy a Honda.
    You people [[especially YOU Bearinabox) act like you're so damned tough !!
    If any individual even mentions that they are 'fed up' with this city and it's BULLSHIT
    crime statistics, especially the ones whom are continuously victimized.....fed up with
    the blight, the burned out houses, the corruption, the illegally dumped trash, the non-
    working street lights [[I especially appreciate the 'out' lights on WSU campus. You
    know, that place where the future of our American youth are trying to get an educ.)
    ...A Mayor that ran on the promise of serving only 'One Term', while tearing up
    every social dept. in the city of Detroit, except of course the most inept, and
    corrupt, left over from the Kilpatrick administration.
    Yeah, let's 'pile on' any reasonably upset, civilized individual who feels that
    maybe, just maybe, there may be some other place in this world, this country,
    this state!!!!....a little more suited for human existance.
    Living in this city sometimes, is such a lesson in futility, that even abandoning ones
    home to foreclosure, after rehabbing it faithfully for decades....seems more reasonable. But we're not allowed to utter such blasphemy are we?
    Whom amongst you placed this bar for the rest of us to live by?
    Which one was given the God like duty of judging how much endurance any
    of us is to have in these all important matters of 'OUR FUTURE' ?
    Who says any one of us has 'The Duty' of sticking by this city, nurturing it,
    rebuilding it, cleaning it up for those too lazy to keep it clean in the first place.
    To raise our children amongst muggers, thieves, and God forbid, rapists.
    To save a city? Sacrifice everything? WHY?????
    ....so easy to judge. Look out for your own house.

DetroitPole Guest

Ok, let's all be clear about something.

Our original gentle poster is having trouble with garage break-ins. They have not indicated that they are in other ways fed up with the city or their living situation or life in general. They have not indicated that their house was burned, their women raped, or being shot with a bazooka. Gentle poster was simply looking for advice for a recurring property crime. Detroit is no paradise, and it is generally a freakishly inhumane place to live. However, of course the haters come out of the woodwork telling the original poster to move because Detroit is so horrible.

WTF? He was asking for advice about his garage, not where he could flee to. Yes, if there were drive-bys on his street, by all means, MOVE. Drug slingers? MOVE. However, stop acting like if you get a yard sign stolen you have to up and leave your turn-of-the-century mansion and move to some Levittown for some false sense of security.

Where I live, garage break-ins are virtually the only crime problem we deal with on a semi-regular basis. Yes, in Detroit. Maybe I should up and leave my pre-war bungalow because of that prospect, but what do I know? We are very fortunate in that we do not have alleys.

Motion lights and a loud alarm seem like a decent start. Signs indicating the alarm and CCTV camera could be good. It doesn't need to be a real camera. Get a dummy one.

Get a couple dogs & make one a mastiff that weighs 200 lbs. I love dogs, but this one down the block from me always makes me want to crap my pants when I see him. It's like the Dog-Hulk or something.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Ok, let's all be clear about something.

Our original gentle poster is having trouble with garage break-ins. They have not indicated that they are in other ways fed up with the city or their living situation or life in general. They have not indicated that their house was burned, their women raped, or being shot with a bazooka. Gentle poster was simply looking for advice for a recurring property crime. Detroit is no paradise, and it is generally a freakishly inhumane place to live. However, of course the haters come out of the woodwork telling the original poster to move because Detroit is so horrible.

[[My thoughts were that maybe "gentle poster" would consider relocating....never did I suggest he move out of Detroit.)

WTF? He was asking for advice about his garage, not where he could flee to. Yes, if there were drive-bys on his street, by all means, MOVE. Drug slingers? MOVE. However, stop acting like if you get a yard sign stolen you have to up and leave your turn-of-the-century mansion and move to some Levittown for some false sense of security.

[[after 12 garage break ins, Levittown sounds pretty good to me.)

Where I live, garage break-ins are virtually the only crime problem we deal with on a semi-regular basis. Yes, in Detroit. Maybe I should up and leave my pre-war bungalow because of that prospect, but what do I know? We are very fortunate in that we do not have alleys.

Motion lights and a loud alarm seem like a decent start. Signs indicating the alarm and CCTV camera could be good. It doesn't need to be a real camera. Get a dummy one.
    The way I figure it, if "gentle poster" had his garage broken into 12 times, and it cost him each time to repair it, using his figures it equates to: 12 times, $400 to just repair his garage = $4800/yr.
    12 times, $1500 to replace his door = $18,000/yr.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    You people [[especially YOU Bearinabox) act like you're so damned tough !!
    If any individual even mentions that they are 'fed up' with this city and it's BULLSHIT
    crime statistics, especially the ones whom are continuously victimized.....fed up with
    the blight, the burned out houses, the corruption, the illegally dumped trash, the non-
    working street lights [[I especially appreciate the 'out' lights on WSU campus. You
    know, that place where the future of our American youth are trying to get an educ.)
    ...A Mayor that ran on the promise of serving only 'One Term', while tearing up
    every social dept. in the city of Detroit, except of course the most inept, and
    corrupt, left over from the Kilpatrick administration.
    Yeah, let's 'pile on' any reasonably upset, civilized individual who feels that
    maybe, just maybe, there may be some other place in this world, this country,
    this state!!!!....a little more suited for human existance.
    Living in this city sometimes, is such a lesson in futility, that even abandoning ones
    home to foreclosure, after rehabbing it faithfully for decades....seems more reasonable. But we're not allowed to utter such blasphemy are we?
    Whom amongst you placed this bar for the rest of us to live by?
    Which one was given the God like duty of judging how much endurance any
    of us is to have in these all important matters of 'OUR FUTURE' ?
    Who says any one of us has 'The Duty' of sticking by this city, nurturing it,
    rebuilding it, cleaning it up for those too lazy to keep it clean in the first place.
    To raise our children amongst muggers, thieves, and God forbid, rapists.
    To save a city? Sacrifice everything? WHY?????
    ....so easy to judge. Look out for your own house.
    I'm not sure how you got that out of any of my posts. If you, JohnnyFreddy, currently live in Detroit and would prefer to live somewhere else, then by all means move. I certainly won't stop you.

jtf1972 - You must live on Leverette. The concept is good, but have you ever seen the size of the turds they lay?? It's more like owning a horse.

Hey - a colleague of mine said that while driving in, down Michigan, he saw a sign for a new Spy/Security store near Slows on the south side of the street. Can anyone confirm this to be true?

LOL English! Too funny! Yeah I am a resell shopper and some strange stuff is turning up. When you see it you know it's just "un-mounted" just taken, just stolen HOT!
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Craiglist? Try the corner market. People are growing so desperate until they're taking things they wouldn't have bothered with 15/20 years ago.

Indian Village needs to become a gated community, just to protect itself and its residents.

Default Gated community???

That will most certainly draw crys of injustice from the protectors of the common man.... fence, gates, walled city, you would still be living on an island surrounded by those determined to pinch a little from the ones who can afford to lose it. If you choose to stay in IV and many other parts of the city you are resigning yourself to the prospect of becoming a crime statistic [[petty or violent) it will happen. Its a choice one makes. My family's hard earned possesions and life were simply too valuable to risk after multiple crimes of theft and violence, so they moved out of the "D" to a safer place. I therefore reccomend to all who experience similar unpleastries to LEAVE THE CITY. I am constantly reminded by my family members who are DFD fireman why that move was a smart one.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    That will most certainly draw crys of injustice from the protectors of the common man.... fence, gates, walled city, you would still be living on an island surrounded by those determined to pinch a little from the ones who can afford to lose it. If you choose to stay in IV and many other parts of the city you are resigning yourself to the prospect of becoming a crime statistic [[petty or violent) it will happen. Its a choice one makes. My family's hard earned possesions and life were simply too valuable to risk after multiple crimes of theft and violence, so they moved out of the "D" to a safer place. I therefore reccomend to all who experience similar unpleastries to LEAVE THE CITY. I am constantly reminded by my family members who are DFD fireman why that move was a smart one.
    EASTSIDE....I agree with you. Gated communities, walled streets, no through traffic signs, closed alleys; nothing is going to deter a criminal who is intent on taking your hard earned possessions. Further, possessions are just the beginning....crimes on persons continue every day. People are left dead in cars, vacant, burned out homes, and just randomly victimized all over Detroit. It's an unfortunate fact that so many Detroiters don't want to face and refuse to accept the realities of what is going on.

Bing wants to downsize and move residents out of their homes to make Detroit more compact and to make it easier to get to them should a fire occur or should someone have a medical problem...maybe that's a solution to one of Detroit's problems but it's not a solution to the crime occuring in Detroit. The very first thing Bing needs to do is hire more Police to patrol streets in Detroit and rid the City of the thugs and gang bangers. You see gang colors, you stop and search for guns. Maybe that's profiling, maybe that's against what you think are your rights, but if a gang member chooses to show his colors, you are a target for the police. I'm not advocating a S.T.R.E.S.S. type Police Department, but I'm advocating a stronger, visible, no tolerance Police Department. Then...the judicial system needs to update some of its lienient laws and put these criminals behind bars for a very long time.

The infrared deer camera is a very good idea. A relative upnorth has a large hunting property as do his neighbors. The neighbors pole barn was broken into. The perps were caught unknownst to them on several cameras scattered in hunting country. The police ided and arrested them in two days.

Sounds awful.
    I cant believe someone will back a car right into a garage door, now thats ghetto.

Default Dwn twn racine

A brilliant observation, "Now thats Ghetto" why yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    The infrared deer camera is a very good idea. A relative upnorth has a large hunting property as do his neighbors. The neighbors pole barn was broken into. The perps were caught unknownst to them on several cameras scattered in hunting country. The police ided and arrested them in two days.
    Out of 2 pages of this tread, this seems to be the only honest and real solution. Most of the tread is argueing about this and that....stick to the issue. The guy wants help, not a bunch of BS.
    I think this idea may actually work....but that is my humble opinion, I could be wrong. But unless you try it you won't actually know.

Default Camera option

As long as the camera activates some type of Booby Trap sliming the would-be bad guy, I think it will work. You get a lasting image of your perp having a not so nice caught in the act moment, and the night vision green view is always a crowd pleaser when you show it at your dinner party or to your local concerned DPD official. Yes now we are adding constructive input to the man's petty theft problem. Break-in # 13 should be the last one [[Big Grin)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Number two, and someone above came close to it. Sink 4" steel posts [[like the ones at the gas station that keep morons from running into the pumps) at each end of your garage door. Have a piece of steel long enough to run between the two posts [[not an I-beam but the one shaped like a block letter C). Secure eye-bolts to the posts [[facing the garage to restrict bolt cutter usage) and cut holes thru the steel to slip over the eye-bolts. Fasten heavy duty pad-locks over the steel and thru the eye bolts. It can be heavy for a two car garage door, but if you don't use it much..........

Or, as also mentioned above, flood light with motion sensor, alarm, and a few rounds fired into the air, and eventuallly word gets around.
    The only problem with throwing a few rounds in the air is that they have a nasty habit of coming down - somewhere - maybe through your own roof or into a neighbor.

I had to put up with that BS back in the mid seventies when I lived on the Southfield service drive between Fenkell and McNichols.. Couldn't put anything in the garage.
    Once they started trying to get in the house, we moved. Glad I was only renting a duplex at the time. Got a house in Royal Oak and it was the best decision I ever made.
    No more worrying about break ins, armed robbery or lack of police response.
    I could walk the streets [[day or night) without having to look over my shoulder any more.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Who would be squawking about this, exactly? B&E artists? Defense attorneys? Yeah, I can see how less crime would put a crimp in business.

Evidently, you've never lived in a gated community. If you did, you'd know the gates aren't always closed [[in fact they are often open), but they are flanked with CCTV cameras, [[trained on front yards, only) as are the side streets. You may be surprised to know that more and more middle class communities are going for the Homeowner Association/Protected Communities route. The community would have to be on the large side to support the effort, but it can, and has been done. This would be true for working class areas as well, if a plan for implementation and support could be arranged. How about that stimulus money. Talk about "shovel-ready job"!

You need high, difficult to penetrate fencing and limited access to the several block area. Of course, the main streets with commercial areas would be all, access, but still camera-monitored. The cameras are monitored 24/7, often in an on-site office. There is a 12-foot limit on fences, as opposed to the hop-ready 6 ft. fences. No chain-link as it provides ready footing to jump the fence. They are most often brick, masonry, or cast-iron type, set back for future commercial use, with trees or climbing vine plants [[such as roses) along the fence. Access is through a UPC code on your windshield that is clocked when you enter the subdivision, like a toll booth pass.

As to your remark about DFD: At one time is was a requirement to live within Detroit city limits if you worked for the city. I think they even got a rent break at many apartments, too. I, for one, think that never should have been changed. You serve here, you should live here. "Protectors of the common man" as you so eloquently put it, where are they, then, hmmm? Some other county? Live among the people. East English Village was chock full of police, firefighters and teachers at one time. I wonder why that was changed...a terrible mistake! Perhaps many neighborhoods would have maintained their integrity longer. I'd love to have a firefighter or police person living on my street, wouldn't you?

The time is done for saying, "It can't be done.", don't you think so, Detroit?

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    As to your remark about DFD: At one time is was a requirement to live within Detroit city limits if you worked for the city. I think they even got a rent break at many apartments, too. I, for one, think that never should have been changed. You serve here, you should live here. "Protectors of the common man" as you so eloquently put it, where are they, then, hmmm? Some other county? Live among the people. East English Village was chock full of police, firefighters and teachers at one time. I wonder why that was changed...a terrible mistake! Perhaps many neighborhoods would have maintained their integrity longer. I'd love to have a firefighter or police person living on my street, wouldn't you? The time is done for saying, "It can't be done.", don't you think so, Detroit?
    kathy, I have to disagree very strongly with your statement above. Many Detroit Firefighters live outside Detroit City Limits....hummmm, I think Walter Harris...you remember Walter Harris don't you? He was murdered in a fire set by an arsonist in Detroit awhile back. Also, I believe that most of the firefighters injured in the blaze on Jefferson Avenue on Friday, August 13th aren't Detroit residents. 4 of those firefighters are suffering from very grave injuries from that fire. My point is, Walter Harris gave up his life for Detroit...the injured firefighters in the fire on the 13th all have very serious, life threatening injuries and may never be able to return to work....and they did it for one reason...to protect the people and property inside the Detroit city limits. So your viewpoint is a bit askew. It doesn't matter where a person lives to be able to do the very best job they can for a City like Detroit.

"East English Village was chock full of police, firefighters and teachers at one time. I wonder why that was changed"
    I can tell you what changed kathy....people who could leave, left. Why? Because of the terrible services that Detroit provided, high taxes, crime, substandard schools, corrupt DPS, corrupt politicians; I could go on and on. To say that things may have been different if cops and firemen weren't allowed to move out of the city is ludicrious, because their dedication to the job in Detroit doesn't change because of a boundry line.

Of course, you can't deter a determined criminal. But you can sure make his trade very difficult....in fact not worth the effort. Any better ideas? Love to hear what you've got to offer.

Default Buy American You beat me to it

Kathy 2 trips
    Buy American just about sumed it up for me and he speaks with 1st person experience so lets not dream about how good things would be if DPD and DFD residency was still policy and further more why should they be punished when they are already giving so much to the cause in their profession. It may surprise you to find out that for many that address they furnished to the city was just that, some place to send the mail. Many lived outside the city so they could provide a better living environment for their family as they saw the city decline. When the policy was officially recinded, they moved out in droves and now those old strong holds neighborhoods they used to occupy have changed drastically [[border of harper woods and over by balduck comes to mind). My point is and always will be, if you want to live the American Dream and feel safe where you live, move out to the burbs or country. You can call me what you want but I did my time in the city and I and my family paid the price in blood and treasure.....or you can stay in a failed city and suffer the consequences [[12 break-ins and counting). Detroit may have a rebirth in its future but it will take generations to heal her wounds and cancers and many of us will never see that day. If you are still a resident of the city I wish you luck on avoiding becoming a statistic I wasn't so lucky.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast