Ive been a longtime advocate of ending the drug war. The prison system has become common and big big business that relies on the drug war to feed its hunger for fresh humans to "store" for their so called crimes. The United States prison system has more than doubled its population since the 80s when Regan reintroduced Nixon's drug war. We now house about two million with roughly half of those for drug related crime. The drug war has made for a lucrative trade in our streets all while using violence to control it. Kids are prone to have drugs in their hands because they cn make a better living selling them than they can working at McDs or Burger Kang.
I'm familiar with the argument that crime follows drug use, but I dont buy it. The price of drugs is that because its illegal. The markup of marijuana cocaine heroin and the rest is astronomical all because its illegal. AFOAF bought some illegal drugs in Asia about 10 years ago and paid $200 for 20 grams and when he got them home to Seattle he found that they were worth $1000 a gram or $20,000. Supply and demand will not cease, you can push it underground and fuel the prison industry but your never going to stop supply and demand.
23,000 dead in Mexico alone in the past three years from the drug cartel violence over drugs and their smuggling routes. There are many more ppl dying over drugs than by drugs. I know drug addicts, and the main problem they all say is the fact that they are illegal. If it wasn't for the expense of overpriced drugs many of them could lead more normal lives. Getting caught with drugs and getting yourself on paper doesn't look good to an employer.

Here on Dyes Ive noticed a change over the past ten years in the opinions on mainly marijuana but also on harder drugs. Im just curious where you all are at on this subject today.

Drug abuse is a very sad but very natural problem. The idea that anyone who uses substances deemed illegal by our government should be imprisoned I believe is wrong. I believe these people have a health issue and their substance of choice should be regulated and taxed to offset the debt they cause to the public. I believe they should be able to get treatment on demand.Harm reduction is the key word.

What say you?