Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Just interviewed for a job in catering. The business owner who saw me has a law degree and passed his bar exam last year, but gave up looking for the "right" job. He told me that he stopped reading applications and resumes after number 100.....

Run a computer consulting company.

I moved from Detroit two years ago and now sell high end vintage guitars and amps in Hollywood, CA.
    Last edited by Chub; May-04-09 at 01:14 PM.

I invented the Snuggie.

I'm the director of race operations for a pro road race team.Thats a just a fancy title on a small private team,I'm charge of getting the car ready to go out,loading it,packing the trailer,and any thing else they throw at me.I restore classic cars,and motorcycles as a side business.I've been pro for the last ten years,before managed and workrd in MANY collision shops.

I am a mainframe computer programmer analyst. Not quite extinct yet, but honing in on it.

Linda, my prayers are with you and your husband. Look for God's angels. He sends them when you least expect them and need them the most.

Lowell,

I didn't know you were a RPCV, I served in Namibia from 2000-2002, teaching ESL to 8th-10th graders.

8. Default

Then it explains your username Ombili?

In Kwanyama > Ombili = I am sorry, excuse me.

I was with Swaziland 1 68-70. Unfortunately we could not visit Nambia or South Africa as the Aparteid government banned us. Where were you stationed?

www.bhere.com/swazi

Grumpyoldlady,

Do you know Marlyn Engle? I believe she worked at A&R since the early seventies...

I was stationed in Owamboland, in a small village called, Onampira. During my tour, I was able to visit Ghana and South Africa and can't wait to return to Capetown...it was absolutely glorious.

I am a cinematographer. I also teach cinematography and work as a motion picture/HD camera rental tech at a rental house.

While I was in college I started working part time for the city of Detroit Recreation Department. I eventually worked enough hours to qualify for health insurance. This came in handy after college when I struggled as a freelance camera assistant. I hung onto my position with the DRD for a little over 17 years. From Coleman Young's last term in office to KK's second term. I could write a book about that time, or at the very least, contribute some story ideas to NBC's Parks & Recreation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    I am a mainframe computer programmer analyst. Not quite extinct yet, but honing in on it.
    That's what I was for many years [[COBOL, PL1, SAS, SPF Dialog Manager, IMS online apps, etc.). Well, started out as a programmer, then did MVS Performance and Tuning for many years, which required lots of SAS programming. Moved into the Windows world after EDS laid me off. I'm guessing you work for the big 3 [[well, support them anyway)? DTE maybe?

I'm what is known as a "picker" - I have a vintage clothing business.

Wow I am at the extreme opposite end of our to peace corps people working the military field.
    Military work is what I know and has provided me with a decent living.
    I can honestly say that many of the contractors and soldiers are over here because of the bad economy I have talked to many soldiers reenlisting because there is no work back home.
    Many people would probably be surprised that many in the military field have the same kinds of political arguments you see in the non Detroit section as for me I follow no party lines and dislike the far right
    The other thing people probably would be surprised by at the base I am at is how many Hispanics there are when you walk into the phone center I would have to say on some nights 30 to 40 percent of the people calling back home are speaking spanish.
    I love throwing that fact in the face of right wingers who say speak English or get the f*ck out

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    That's what I was for many years [[COBOL, PL1, SAS, SPF Dialog Manager, IMS online apps, etc.). Well, started out as a programmer, then did MVS Performance and Tuning for many years, which required lots of SAS programming. Moved into the Windows world after EDS laid me off. I'm guessing you work for the big 3 [[well, support them anyway)? DTE maybe?
    Cobol, IMS DB/DC, DB2, MVS, etc.

I am/was a contract programmer. I have worked at each of the Big 3, MichCon, AT&T, BC/BS, and a few more over the years. Never at DTE though.

Been doing this for 30+ years. Not sure what's next. I am still employed, so I hesitate to give too many current details.

Tool & Die builder, yeah there's still a couple of us left, however I fear that if I wish to remain in this field I will soon need to relocate to China.

hostess at the Melvindale IHOP

Transit Planner in downtown Detroit for the past 24 years.

detroitchef Guest

I build neighborhod treehouses.

I work in Logistics

I am also a public servant, since 2002. Before that, I was an accountant for an auto parts manufacturer for 17 yrs.

After reading this thread, I'd like to say thank you to all the teachers on this site. Every teacher I know on a personal basis [[family and friends) really puts their heart into what they do, you have a positive impact on many peoples lives and because of that I have the highest respect for your profession. I can't stress enough that we appreciate all that you do, and if there's a _____[[insert after life believe); I'm sure you'll get prime real estate.

As for me, bleh. I work in sales. I'm not really proud of what I do, but after cut backs leading to unemployeement from my prior career path which I've now abandoned, it was the only thing I could find which allows me to pay a morgage and a car note on my own. Sink or swim I guess.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cb79 View Post
    After reading this thread, I'd like to say thank you to all the teachers on this site. Every teacher I know on a personal basis [[family and friends) really puts their heart into what they do, you have a positive impact on many peoples lives and because of that I have the highest respect for your profession. I can't stress enough that we appreciate all that you do, and if there's a _____[[insert after life believe); I'm sure you'll get prime real estate.

As for me, bleh. I work in sales. I'm not really proud of what I do, but after cut backs leading to unemployeement from my prior career path which I've now abandoned, it was the only thing I could find which allows me to pay a morgage and a car note on my own. Sink or swim I guess.
    Why NOT be proud of what you do, cb? Honest work is nothing to be ashamed of.

I am a producer, director, archivist / historian. Presently, I am restoring silent comedies for broadcast on Turner Classic Movies [[TCM) and
    DVD release.

Quite possibly the best job in the world.

Event Planner/Coordinator/Administative all around Jane of all trades soon to be looking for a new job this fall... hint? hint? lol

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast